Upgrading AEG

mirinjawbro

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all

have a G&G top tech MP5 SD5.

debating on whether to upgrade it.

fps is constant 330 on .20 out the box.

anything worth upgrading?  

if anything id like more range so going to assume a new / better hopup unit etc.  tighter barrel will incease surely? but also the fps

only ever upgraded GBB so this is new to me

thanks

• Supporters

Does it have the rattly flappy "recoil" thing?

Other than that, the hop unit itself is pretty decent, Maple Leaf rubber and nub is always worth a punt. Barrel isn't awful but a ZCi tightbore won't cost loads so it's worth it.

Motor is probably worth upgrading though. 

If you want to throw BB's further just get heavier ammo like .25 or .28 first and you have to see if you're satisfied with the range and people call their hits or not. Altough lots of watered down stock Marui can shoot quite far with decent ammo and properly set hop-up so you shoudn't have an issue.

You could still change your nub/bucking/barrel if you want to.

Edited by Krisz

330fps is good so you shouldn't try to increase as it could go over site tests. (fps test do vary so yours may measure differently to theirs)

If you really want to tinker, as Lozart said, better barrel and hop rubber may result in more consistent shot groups.

2 hours ago, Lozart said:

Does it have the rattly flappy "recoil" thing?

Other than that, the hop unit itself is pretty decent, Maple Leaf rubber and nub is always worth a punt. Barrel isn't awful but a ZCi tightbore won't cost loads so it's worth it.

Motor is probably worth upgrading though. 

hello.  yes the flappy blowback thing.

would any ZCi tightbore work?

where is everyone buying upgrades from?

3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

That their pneumatic blowback shenanigans that's one mahoosive air leak waiting to happen?

Mine has it too. Makes a half-decent *clink* noise when firing but i've got mine on 13:1 so sometimes, in auto, it literally can't keep up. I understand why people hate it though.

3 hours ago, mirinjawbro said:

would any ZCi tightbore work?

where is everyone buying upgrades from?

ZCI inner barrel works fine in my G&G MP5A4. Personally I bought mine from TheCageAirsoft but they're out of stock in the 240mm inner barrel you need (stock length is 233mm). BombUpAirsoft have one in stock here. As for where to buy upgrade parts, it's not so simple. I tend to buy them from a few different places simply because lots of places are out of stock of different things.

If you're going to upgrade the inner barrel i'd suggest doing to the bucking and nub at the same time. I use a yellow (60 degree) Macaron and Omega nub.

Edited by MrTea

First, play with the RIF and see what aspect makes you feel insufficient on the playing field. Do you feel like you need more range? Better accuracy? Faster rate of fire? Snappier trigger? Once you know what you want, here's what I'd suggest doing...

The first two performance boosts I'd suggest are a good quality LiPo battery (11.1v or 7.4v, with 11.1v being much faster), for gains in ROF and trigger response if that's what you want. Heavier, higher quality BBs will net you gains in range and accuracy, as well as being able to cut through wind and foliage better.

As the others have set, motor and hop rubber are your first and most effective parts upgrades. These two upgrades cover range/accuracy, and trigger response/rate of fire. You can pair them with a LiPo battery (11.1v or 7.4v, with the faster being 11.1v), and heavier, high quality BBs for greater gains in both departments.

I would personally suggest doing just the hop rubber first, as you'll be able to observe the actual performance change. G&G hop units are already really good, and they fit maple leaf hop rubbers great. I would suggest using a maple leaf rubber in between 50 and 60 degrees (look for Macaron or Super Macaron), and replace the original soft nub with a harder piece of plastic or even a piece of 6mm tubing laid flat in the hop window.

You can polish the stock barrel with some metal polish and a drill (use a rag on the tip of a cleaning rod), and get a decent performance boost. I'd suggest doing this before buying any upgrade barrel. Upgrade barrels are really a minor upgrade--a decent polished and clean stock barrel (as long as it's not bent or messed up on the inside) will give you 80+% of the performance of any upgrade barrel, and sometimes more. For example, the stock barrels from Krytac and Arcturus are just as good or better than any upgrade barrel I've used (Prometheus, Lambda, etc). Not all stock barrels are created equal, but there is no advantage of having steel over brass in most circumstances.

I would also suggest wrapping the barrel in tape, and likewise stabilizing the hop unit with tape or plastic shims. These are extremely cheap and easy accuracy upgrades that I do to pretty much every build.

For a motor, I would suggest ordering a 25K neodymium motor from ChiHai Shenzhen, which should cost around $30. Either that, or take whatever suggestion the more local members of the forum give you. There's not too many horrible options for a motor, and they know local retailers better than I do. 😁

fps im not too bothered about as its 330 bang on already.

the main concern is definitely range, outdoors i seem to get outranged and pinned down. i have been using .25 / .28g

except in the last 6 months i've not skirmished for easily 7 or so years and everything seems to of come along way. back then everyone seemed to use .20s maybe .25s from memory. mosfets weren't a thing, the million brands and multiple m4 copies are all new as well :)

ill look into the motor and hop

thankyou all

• Supporters
13 hours ago, mirinjawbro said:

what's that?

Its one of g&g's old versions of blowback.

It uses a pneumatic cylinder mounted on top of the gearbox, air from the main cylinder (the one pushing the bb out the barrel) bleeds off through a rubber seal into the blowback cylinder causing it to push the visual gubbins attatched to it to look like it's cycling and simulate "recoil".

The issue is that it adds a whole bunch of places where air from the cylinder can escape, which is bad for a consistent muzzle velocity and by extension accuracy (which is as necessary as raw power for good effective range).

The symptom will be a wide range of fps figures when firing a few shots through a chrono and vertical dispersion of shots in-game.

The good news is its possible to de-activate it by removing the rubber seal and replacing the stock cylinder for one without a vent hole.

Its probable a spring change may be necessary, i suspect the spring is a bit meatier than strictly necessary to maintain velocity whilst also powering the recoil system, last one i worked on had other issues so i can't be sure the spring was the proper power level.

Hop unit options for MP5s are extremely limited and i've not found a company who make an aftermarket one. When I (or my tech) broke my G&G one, I just replaced it with the same one and it's been fine ever since. If yours ever breaks, email G&G directly and they'll sell you one, they're a nightmare to find in the wild.

If you want a quick boost to range/accuracy, you need to look at the bucking and nub. I use a Maple Leaf Macaron 60 degree (yellow) with Omega nub in mine (and most of my AEGs) and it's great. As for barrel, mine came with one of those ultra crappy aluminiuml (i'm not sure what it's made of) inner barrels and the coating on the outside was starting to crack and flake. If yours is a brass one, try giving it a polish like @Leo Greer says or go straight for a stainless steel one. As I linked in a previous reply, the ZCI ones are about £20 and unless you're on a super tight budget, this is a worthwhile change.

As for motor, sure, a high torque motor is never a bad idea if you want better trigger response but it won't improve much outside of that IIRC.

Edited by MrTea

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.