The Offset BUIS Experiment

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Offset BUIS and airsoft guns is known to be a problematic combination. But just how far can you stretch it's usage? I've used them many times and they proved sufficient for my needs. I previously posted a thread about NGAL and BUIS. I found an offset BUIS can sit behind the NGAL without blocking the battery compartment so I considered dedicating them to the build. Of course they also look pretty cool, which surprised me, I expected it to look a bit odd with the slim SMR rail. Either way I conducted an experiment on offset BUIS and airsoft guns.

Test Platform: VFC HK416A5 GBBR with Magpul MBUS Pro Offset BUIS. 345 FPS. Stock Barrel.

NH - No Hop

H - Hop

Point Blank - Just use a rubber knife

5M NH - No issues.

5M H - No issues.

10M NH - No issues.

10M H - No issues.

15M NH - BBs start falling short, slight compensation needed.

15M H - Very Slight curve. Still hits a man sized target 90% of the time.

20M NH - Compensation is more significant, it can be done but it's rather unefficient.

20M H - Doable but sideways compensation is now needed.

20 Meters seem to be the limit for both, attempting longer ranges causes major problems with either trajectory or sideways deviation.

Conclusion? For CQB airsoft canted sights can be a good choice, but as an actual backup sight for longer ranges they won't really help. So the statement that this type of BUIS is useless in airsoft is both true and false.

• Supporters

pretty much sums up what i'd have expected, better than just boresighting when creeping around with your gun at the correctly tacticool angle which in and of itself is useful in some situations.

ofc even with a regular sight it's often useful to tilt the gun one way or another to compensate for wind or shoot around corners, the latter of which is particularly amusing when it pays off.

3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

pretty much sums up what i'd have expected, better than just boresighting when creeping around with your gun at the correctly tacticool angle which in and of itself is useful in some situations.

ofc even with a regular sight it's often useful to tilt the gun one way or another to compensate for wind or shoot around corners, the latter of which is particularly amusing when it pays off.

A few years ago, I and the other players that day found out that overhopping on purpose to get around a corner can yield hilarious results. Of course, we were told off once the staff found about about our new "technique"

Edited by LzChase

3 minutes ago, LzChase said:

we were told off once the staff found about about our new "technique

Would this have been allowed?

1468353764-stg44alemanya1945agosta-zpsb230c4be.jpeg

5 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Would this have been allowed?

1468353764-stg44alemanya1945agosta-zpsb230c4be.jpeg

Probably not, but according to this video, somewhere someday, it was allowed.

Edited by LzChase

• Supporters
13 hours ago, LzChase said:

A few years ago, I and the other players that day found out that overhopping on purpose to get around a corner can yield hilarious results. Of course, we were told off once the staff found about about our new "technique"

Why'd they tell you off? Seems like a perfectly reasonable tactic that isnt particularly dickish given you're by definition going to be at range.

14 hours ago, LzChase said:

54 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Why'd they tell you off? Seems like a perfectly reasonable tactic that isnt particularly dickish given you're by definition going to be at range.

They will be treating it as blind firing

But I think that it’s a perfectly valid technique 

If you’re popping a shot ‘aimed’ at someone just around a corner, or my favorite is over an on top of a head then fair game

Blindly gunning around corners would differ 

In paintball there’s a barrel designed precisely for this

Edited by Tommikka

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Yes like the reply above states, it is treated as blind firing. It's really on the borderline but in the end the staff decided to not allow it.

If you put them on the inside you effectively get accurate side sighting. I had a red dot like this for a little while before getting it set up on top of my scope. It's not terrible if the sight can rest between some pouches, but you lose a lot of visibility to the side. It's a lot better if you need to shoot close range and have a scope with some zoom on, though not many people run 1j "DMRs" (though you should, it's a great playstyle). 

Edited by Badgerlicious

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.