Hop Selection advice

Dan Robinson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Has there been a thread on how to choose the best hops/bucking/nubs?

I had a quick search, but obviously these key words are rather common on the forum.

Or is this such a nebulous topic that it could cause open warfare in the forum?

Double Eagle M906C -- Maple Leaf Macaron 50 (or maybe 60) degree + Omega nub

Double Eagle M904G -- Prometheus hop rubber (as fitted by @Speedbird_666

TM AUG High Cycle -- Guarder Clear (as recommended by @Asomodai, iirc)

Tippmann M4 -- G&G Green (as recommended by another Tippmann user + Will @ Spec Ops)

The stock nub on the DE was quite soft, I think, Omega is quite a bit harder, but the stock hop unit + Omega + my technical wizardry meant eventually there was always some hop applied, even if I tried to dial it all out.  Might have been a function of the odd hop arm supplied in the 906C 

I've just swapped the 906C and 904G barrels and hops over though, in preparation for using the 906C on the next game day, will be interesting to see how it works!  (I'll take the other along too, if I want to swap back!)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters

Kinda always been a fan of the maple leaf macaron, with a proper omega nub (the off brand ones i've seen tend to not be so square) or other appropriately radial block (eg the r block in a maxx unit)

For gbb's again maple leaf autobot/decepticon with maybe an i-key and the odd bit of creative arm shimming can work wonders.

As a secondary for the guns that dislike maple leaf feedlips i've had good results with the pdi w-hold buckings, although find they're not keen on heavier than 0.32g at least in the 1j energy category.

G&g green are good as stock style buckings go, i'd put them in the same shelf spot as the prommy purple for guns that aren't expecting to be fed the heavies.

Ofc as with all things airsoft ymmv, throwing the bestest bucking, barrel and nub in the universe is gonna be useless if the gun's idea of energy consistency isnt.

Seconds on the PDI W-hold for hop units that don’t like ML rubbers. I can confirm that they don’t like anything heavier than .30g even at 1.5+J. Mine perform the best using .25g.

I like the PDI W-Hold or Modify Ryusoku for “legacy” spec hop units, those being tighter than newer design and less likely to accept ML rubbers.

If an ML rubber can be used, then that is my recommendation.

I will also be happy using Krytac Orange and Blue, G&G Blue, and I’ll flathop just about anything.

In general, using the correct nub and with correct stabilization, you can make almost any rubber perform excellently. The key is in using the proper nub shape, and how you set up the rest of your barrel group around the rubber.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.