Looking for a "lasgun" style flash hider

Rogerborg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm minded to put together an CSI XR-5 based lasgun (yes, I know about the plastic bushings) and treat myself to an actual bought-thing flash hider if I can find one. I'm looking for something like this in standard 14mm CCW.

image.png.429cd540492c56e4f7e3ac381e888bf1.png

I have a vague recollection of a UK 3D printer business turning those out (maybe https://airtac.me/), but I can't find anything like it now.

Anyone seen something like that for sale recently?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Couldn't you take a cheap supressor and make and angled cut with a chop saw? A bit of krylon - bob's your mother's brother.

Sure, I'm just feeling like treating myself to someone else's work for once.  I have a Sound Hog amplifier slated for sacrifice to the Machine Spirit if I can't find anything suitable.

44 minutes ago, hunter511 said:

I'm sure back in the day people used to do lasgun builds using the G&G wasp flash hider thing.

Thanks, but it's a little skinny, I like my GrimDark chunky style.

I swear I saw something suitable last year from a small business, I should have bookmarked (or just bought) it.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, strykerles said:

That's more the sort of size, but nah, I'm not paying gun value for a flash hider.

If I can't find the thing I think I'm thinking off, I'll probably just bust out the waste pipe and hot-melt glue or buy a 3D printer.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Sure, I'm just feeling like treating myself to someone else's work for once.  I have a Sound Hog amplifier slated for sacrifice to the Machine Spirit if I can't find anything suitable.

I was just about to suggest the same thing, I've got one that I was going to butcher as a spiky stabby thing, at least you know its substantial enough to take it. 

Someone needs to take the extra step from 3d printing some of this stuff and actually cast it, in Zamak or even aluminium. 

Like, use 3d printing for what it was actually supposed to be for.

• Supporters

I imagine the market is too small, and it's tricky to reach customers.  I mean, I'm actively searching for a thing that I'm sure exists, or existed, and I can't find it.

10 hours ago, Pupa2794 said:

Someone needs to take the extra step from 3d printing some of this stuff and actually cast it, in Zamak or even aluminium. 

Like, use 3d printing for what it was actually supposed to be for.

Casting one-off's in your garage is possible with minimal costs, (some neat budget foundries out there).  Nice little market out there I suspect.

4 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

Casting one-off's in your garage is possible with minimal costs, (some neat budget foundries out there).  Nice little market out there I suspect.

That was a slight rant in there but that's exactly what I'm trying to do. 

Setting a workshop up currently, I need a 3d printer but know nothing about them. I can make things physically and I've done bits of CAD, should pick that up easily enough, wanting to replace gaming time with 3d modelling time. 

But I have so many things I want to make. 

51 minutes ago, Pupa2794 said:

That was a slight rant in there but that's exactly what I'm trying to do. 

Setting a workshop up currently, I need a 3d printer but know nothing about them. I can make things physically and I've done bits of CAD, should pick that up easily enough, wanting to replace gaming time with 3d modelling time. 

But I have so many things I want to make. 

good on ya man.  3d printers like anything just have to buy one, jump in and muddle around.  see some people use silicone molds for zanak casting now, handy for when you want to make more than one unit.

you can make me 1000 gearbox shells if you want 🙂

Edited by ak2m4

1 hour ago, Pupa2794 said:

I can make things physically and I've done bits of CAD, should pick that up easily enough, wanting to replace gaming time with 3d modelling time.

Fusion 360 is free, but it can be a bitch to use. A lot people will start to use it, get frustrated, then bin off the whole idea of making their models.

I am currently learning Plasticity 3D at the moment - a 'CAD for artists' Hard Surface modelling tool. I've been using it for about a week and I am impressed. They do a 30 day trial, and costs $99 USD to buy, but it's so much easier to use than Fusion that I'm actually thinking of paying for it. It's still very new as a product - but theres quite a few videos on youtube to get you started.

Lightly inspired by this thread, I knocked this up in under an hour this morning as a bit of a learning exercise  - just eyeballing it from google images (yes - it's missing quite a bit of detail but you get the idea).

image.thumb.png.bf170c59b4e4bf6b15883b487201d710.png

It's also good if you have reference images - this is a WIP project to eventually build in RC (bonus points to anyone who can guess the aircraft)

image.thumb.png.d79f40d3a307fcd4ff2a6b3931459bb5.png

It's also pretty good for low-poly game assets - my son needed a super-quick placeholder RPG model for a Roblox game he's working on - 10mins later it was in the game:

image.png.8a57891e924d8791f6339a866d8c9bdd.png

On 31/07/2023 at 15:44, Rogerborg said:

I'm minded to put together an CSI XR-5 based lasgun (yes, I know about the plastic bushings) and treat myself to an actual bought-thing flash hider if I can find one. I'm looking for something like this in standard 14mm CCW.

image.png.429cd540492c56e4f7e3ac381e888bf1.png

I have a vague recollection of a UK 3D printer business turning those out (maybe https://airtac.me/), but I can't find anything like it now.

Anyone seen something like that for sale recently?

Get me some dimensions and you can have one in aluminium or steel...

58 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

@Speedbird_666 how's the measuring between 2 points in Plasticity?  Fusion drives me up the wall

Umm - I don't think it has a dedicated ruler function - I've just use the line tool and the very good snapping system to measure things . The 'CAD for artists' term thrown about means that it'll do a lot of modelling like Fusion (as opposed to software like blender) with enough precision for 3D printing etc, but it's not as engineering focused as Fusion so is missing things like an analytical tools section. Kind of a half way house between the traditional 3D modelling software and CAD.

Try it for 30 days, follow a couple of tutorials and see what you think - they don't ask for any details/payment/registration information - it's a straight download from the site - just install and go.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, LC_Fixit said:

Get me some dimensions and you can have one in aluminium or steel...

Jolly decent of you, but I'll either be buying off the shelf or DIYing it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.