Motor Adjustment Height impossible to change.

Dan Robinson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right - the boy's M16 sounds like a tortured cat, which I am confident is mainly the motor adjustment height, although a shim or two in the box might be a thing.

However, the motor is jammed so tight in the grip that there is no movement.  It seems that the wires are jamming it against the inside of the grip.  Any ideas for a more spacious grip?  Or am I missing something obvious?

Tah in Advance.

As the standard design expects the height adjustment to work, then surely it must have just been put in to the pistol grip incorrectly, with a wire out of place? It's quite easy to get the wire down the side of the motor rather than across the top (but routed correctly around the terminals etc)

All I can think of it the wire is too short, and they are crossing the base of the grip diagonally , holding the motor up and thus not hitting the bevel gear cleanly.

This might also explain the occasional feeding issue we have if the gearbox is subsequently not cycling cleanly?

How chunky does the cable have to be?

Have they installed it incorrectly?

The wires should both be on the same side of the motor and then the wires loop around the top to fit.

I've seen people sometimes wire it so that there's a wire on both sides of the motor, which will trap it tight.

14 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I've seen people sometimes wire it so that there's a wire on both sides of the motor, which will trap it tight.

That's how it was when I took it apart initially, so I just put it back that way thinking it correct.

Will have a crack at it again this evening - although I'm not convinced the red cable would be long enough.  We shall see.

Many thanks.

This is the sort of routing you should see on the motor (pic nicked from t'interwebz), but I think the start point of the wires can be different for different guns... iirc my SIG has both at the front initially.
(Edit: yeah , just checked.  The SIG has loads of room around the motor so really it barely matters, whereas I remember the DE being a tight squeeze, so had to get the routing 'just right')

image.png.c443298b330db13245b256666f2bb5f0.png

Just make sure you take a pic of the current orientation before changing stuff, it's easy to get the motor the wrong way around, or connect the terminals incorrectly so I hear ;)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Currently - from memory - the wires both up the grip one at the front, one at the rear as they exit the gearbox that way.  I doubt the gearbox exit holes could take two wires.

Looking at your pic - both wires run up the rear of the grip.

I have a few more work emails to do, cook dinner, take the boy drumming, possibly walk some body else's dog (that's four times now ffs), then I can have a look at the pew.

Usually, the wires will both sit at the rear of the grip behind the motor.

Whichever wire comes out the front-most hole in the gearbox will bend to sit flat underneath the motor (parallel with the base) and then loop upwards the the rest of the grip.

It doesn't matter which way round the motor sits, so long as the wires connect to the correct terminal. (In case you're short on length for one wire).

When I had this issue a while back, it turned out there were two causes- the 'storm' style grip was indeed very tight on my motor of choice- sand paper on the inside of the grip solved that; and the neck of the motor was too tight on the corresponding hole at the top of the grip which I had to open out/bore a touch wider. If you haven't changed your motor and/or grip before the problem appeared though, disregard this post!

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

sand paper on the inside of the grip solved that

Preach. Once you've accepted that airsoft QC and compatibility means "within about 3mm", you can just go straight to the file, sandpaper and shimming tape.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

sand paper on the inside of the grip solved that

image.gif.af112d68212415e468a74d505267d5a0.gif

That's going to be sore in the morning!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.