Do you guys keep an aeg as backup?

cart3rlfc

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

3 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

In what way?

I'm reletavely new to airsofting & currently only use aeg's, how is GBB harder?

As above, GBBRs demand a different play style. Getting into position and picking shots, as well as being aware of round count . No spray and pray antics for us , even when using my GBB M249 it's bursts not hosing. Being aware of mag temperature in cold weather etc.

I find my GBBRs are every bit as reliable as my aeg's , which I very rarely use anymore, but are so much more fun, mag changes , recoil , noise and tactical play ! Oh My !  

They don't suit everyone, I know plenty of playerrs who have no concept of self control when it comes to slinging BBs , GBBRs wouldn't suit them 😂

1 hour ago, Emergencychimps said:

Why do people use them is probably what you're wondering

No, I have some GBB's and I know they're fun to use... just don't see how they're harder.

The mags are generally limited to 35-44 bbs

Adds to the realism but not harder.

the mags are much heavier, so it's harder to carry a bunch of mags

Again this adds to the realism, not difficult to carry an extra 1000 bb's & gas bottle (most of us carry too much kit anyway)

so it's easier to pinpoint where the gas gun user is

a stream of 'white' bb's isn't hard to find the source (with the exception of single shots)

the performance varies based on the temperature, it's kinda easy for mags to vent all the gas

true but trigger discipline helps which comes from experience (few new airsofters, will spend a wad on their first pew so more likely to use or buy an AEG).

the shooting of them is more enjoyable, feels more realistic, the recoil is nice, the constant mag changes is more realistic, the maintenance can be enjoyable and the sweet feeling of hitting a high cap hero etc while on "hard mode" is something else. I may have of got fewer "kills", but the overall experience was richer for it. 

Yes, but not harder.

56 minutes ago, Nick G said:

As above, GBBRs demand a different play style. Getting into position and picking shots, as well as being aware of round count . No spray and pray antics for us , even when using my GBB M249 it's bursts not hosing. Being aware of mag temperature in cold weather etc.

I find my GBBRs are every bit as reliable as my aeg's , which I very rarely use anymore, but are so much more fun, mag changes , recoil , noise and tactical play ! Oh My !  

They don't suit everyone, I know plenty of playerrs who have no concept of self control when it comes to slinging BBs , GBBRs wouldn't suit them 😂

again, yes agreed but all that comes from experience.

I'm not dissing GBBR's in any way, I just don't think it's harder.

My perspective is...

I'm a newbie so 100% so far have played only using AEG's, I have a cheap two tone Scar-L that I love to use but after a few games I now bring a selection of pew's (all AEG's), to use in game. I've used hicaps & midcaps depending if I want a bit more realism & which kit I'm wearing, I don't usually carry a secondary but have recently added a gas pistol to my kit for those oops moments. I occasionally slip into spray & pray mode but less than in my first few games, I now consciously pick my shots more whether I'm using hi or midcaps or not(as a result of a spray using mid caps during an embarassing assault).

It's probably no secret that I have a few pews in my collection, only a couple of my SMG's are gas powered but most of my secondary's are gas pistols, I know that at some point I'll get a GBBR to use in game (not to hang on my wall) but the cost of a single gas pew means I'll be more selective in this choice, which leads me to an earlier point... experience tells us what we like & how we want to play, what we want to use & even where we to play... owning, using & maintaining AEG's, GBBR's or HPI's is different in many ways but I don't consider any of them harder than the next.

Welcome to my TED talk.

2 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

No, I have some GBB's and I know they're fun to use... just don't see how they're harder.

Again this adds to the realism, not difficult to carry an extra 1000 bb's & gas bottle (most of us carry too much kit anyway)

a stream of 'white' bb's isn't hard to find the source (with the exception of single shots)

true but trigger discipline helps which comes from experience (few new airsofters, will spend a wad on their first pew so more likely to use or buy an AEG).

Yes, but not harder.

My perspective is...

I'm a newbie so 100% so far have played only using AEG's, I have a cheap two tone Scar-L that I love to use but after a few games I now bring a selection of pew's (all AEG's), to use in game. I've used hicaps & midcaps depending if I want a bit more realism & which kit I'm wearing, I don't usually carry a secondary but have recently added a gas pistol to my kit for those oops moments. I occasionally slip into spray & pray mode but less than in my first few games, I now consciously pick my shots more whether I'm using hi or midcaps or not(as a result of a spray using mid caps during an embarassing assault).

It's probably no secret that I have a few pews in my collection, only a couple of my SMG's are gas powered but most of my secondary's are gas pistols, I know that at some point I'll get a GBBR to use in game (not to hang on my wall) but the cost of a single gas pew means I'll be more selective in this choice, which leads me to an earlier point... experience tells us what we like & how we want to play, what we want to use & even where we to play... owning, using & maintaining AEG's, GBBR's or HPI's is different in many ways but I don't consider any of them harder than the next.

Welcome to my TED talk.

Harder is subjective.  Those of us who run GBBR's pretty much exclusivly find all of this second nature and it adds to the enjoyment . But for alot of players it definitly comes under the harder heading. Get into a good position and take selective semi shots ? so much harder than dumping 40 rounds a second into a bush . Strip and clean your gun after a game day ? so much harder then shove it in the cupboard untill next game day , It's all subjective. By the sound of it your play style is heading towards something where GBBRs will suit you. 

2 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Yes, but not harder.

My perspective is...

Welcome to my TED talk.

So have you actually played a game using GBBR are you just going with your feelings? As you are say using a gun where you can't use full auto, will have to have changed all you mags while an AEG user will still have a 100rds in their 1 high cap, is significantly heavier than AEG, will require you to carry 2kg worth of mags and is actively throwing your aim off every time you shoot is not more difficult to use than an AEG with a high cap?

3 minutes ago, BigStew said:

So have you actually played a game using GBBR

Just plinking in the garden so far, like I said only used AEG's in game so far. I know the kit is heavier, & I said we carry too much stuff so I expect it's a compromise to be made, I typically carry more mags than I'll need (current kit has 8 mags hi caps or mids depending on pew), a mix of realism-ish & stupidity.

I honestly think experience is key (getting more each time I play), Everyone whose commented so far has valid points but I don't think it's harder... time will tell if gaining more experience will change my mind.

3 hours ago, BigStew said:

So have you actually played a game using GBBR are you just going with your feelings? As you are say using a gun where you can't use full auto, will have to have changed all you mags while an AEG user will still have a 100rds in their 1 high cap, is significantly heavier than AEG, will require you to carry 2kg worth of mags and is actively throwing your aim off every time you shoot is not more difficult to use than an AEG with a high cap?

I must say, that my ghk m4 is considerably lighter than my TM 416, that thing is an anchor in comparison.

Ok, the mags do make a huge difference. 
I tend to carry 6 for either gun when fielding, so my loadout is probably slightly heavier when running the m4

each mag weighs about 400g when using v2’s

25 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

I must say, that my ghk m4 is considerably lighter than my TM 416, that thing is an anchor in comparison.

Ok, the mags do make a huge difference. 
I tend to carry 6 for either gun when fielding, so my loadout is probably slightly heavier when running the m4

each mag weighs about 400g when using v2’s

That is a light gun and the exception to the rule most of the weight is the mag. 

3 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

I don't think it's harder

So, imagine you're having a firefight with another player, 40-50 metres away, they have a a similar level of cover as you. They have effectively unlimited ammo from their 8 high cap magazines, you have 210 bbs before you are effectively are out of action. 

You're firing 3-4 single shot groups at them with a rifle that recoils....they are sending 20 bbs back in a single burst, every few seconds.....

While the aeg user can fire continuously you have to stop every 35 bbs to change your mags, ensuring they're reindexed cause a dump pouch with that much weight will bounce around making movement hard.

The noise from your rif is attracting the attention of other enemy players that are nearby, the noise of their aeg is barely detected by other players on your team. 

Everytime you change mags, you need to make sure you aren't double feeding, you need to ensure the bolt is forward....if the aeg player has to change mags, it's simple one out one in, very little to go wrong. 

Moving from position to position takes more effort from the weight of the mags (I'm comparing my mws to my recoils), crouching takes more effort etc. 

While your position is getting hammered with bbs, you're changing your mag, your admining your kit, you're keeping an eye out for other players you aren't focused on the guy shooting at you......all while you're his singular focus.

Who is more likely to win that firefight? 

There's so much more to think about with a gbbr. I'm not knocking aeg users, I've had to sell my gbbr and only have aegs but it is like being on easy mode in comparison. 

It's such a different experience, but that's the great thing about the sport, we all play for our own reasons, some like to rack up kills, some like to snipe, some like the challenge of using a gbbr

21 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Just plinking in the garden so far, like I said only used AEG's in game so far. I know the kit is heavier, & I said we carry too much stuff so I expect it's a compromise to be made, I typically carry more mags than I'll need (current kit has 8 mags hi caps or mids depending on pew), a mix of realism-ish & stupidity.

I honestly think experience is key (getting more each time I play), Everyone whose commented so far has valid points but I don't think it's harder... time will tell if gaining more experience will change my mind.

I have been playing 24 years other than single shot indoor CQB i do not use a GBBR as i have been completely out gunned in every outdoor game play every time I played with a GBBR ( I am 6,5 over weight and rapidly heading for my mid forties. I can't do sneaky). The only successful use of GBBR out doors i have seen is an HPA'd High cap adapted abomination. 1) at that stage whats the point and 2) each player running that set up were over spamming W*@kers. I now just stick to TM Recoil master race with mid caps.  

The only thing gbbrs have going for them is realism. Now that can be awesome ofcourse but realism brings difficulty, aiming, ammo capacity, weight and physics issues.

Gbbrs aren't that real ofcourse but you can kind of get into it and pretend.

Sadly for me they cost way too much and bring too much technical difficulty.

Hpa, well that just ruins the immersion for me.

I've only really dipped my toe into gbb guns but I always try to make sure I have a back up gun packed in my kit, simply put it's better to have it but not need it than need it and not have it. Also if you factor in Murphy's Law the one time you leave it at home WILL be the day your main rif decides to stop working.

Edited by Cannonfodder

The only breakdowns I've had have been gas pistols, I still like to have more than one gun because it's nice to have a choice.

I even have a couple of aeps if I feel the gods are against me.

If I could find better parts for my aeps id probably bin the gas pistols.

I think we can all agree, like with so many things airsoft-related, it's completely subjective.

I love my GBBRs. I love my NGRS. I play pretty similarly with both (I don't full auto, just a 3rd burst) and I enjoy both equally. The AEG improves my odds of hitting someone, purely due to increased ammo count. Even a well-aimed, considered shot can disappear into the wilderness due to airsoft ballistics being crap.

Bottom line, back-ups are a very good idea.

In terms of backups, 100% a good idea to bring a backup. I never go to a skirmish day, let alone an event like AI500 or a filmsim weekend, without at least two primaries and two secondaries (because I tend to snipe, secondaries are important). Often at Vietnam filmsim weekends I'll have 3 primaries and 3 secondaries just in case.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.