Importing Airsoft gun (IF) into UK

MatchaMarco

Hi, I am recently considering building a two tone hi capa in Hong Kong and importing it into the uk. Since I play IPSC action air and am not interested in Airsoft skirmishes, I am not interested in attaining the UKARA membership.

I would like to know if I build my hi capa as a imitation firearm, not a RIF, is there any declaration need to be made to border customs to import such gun? is there any restrictions regarding the importation of an IF into UK? Do I still need a UKARA membership in order to import the two tone gun?Can I import it by my own(e.g. in my luggage when I enter the UK, completely disassembled) or do I have to find a importer company to do it for me? Thanks

Edited by MatchaMarco

Perhaps it would be easier if you buy one in England 🤔

Regards 

Edited by Shamal
Alteration

• Supporters

Legally, no, the restriction is only on realistic imitations.

Practically speaking, Border Force seems to have cracked down a lot this year and it would be risky to post it over.

If you want to bring it yourself, your first hurdle will be the airline at the Hong Kong end.  I'd check with them and see what their requirements are.

Best of luck, this is a question that gets asked a lot, but we rarely see any answers.

You want to check Non-standard baggage T&Cs and find the helpline. In my experience they will just treat any gun shaped objects like a real firearm and you will just have to go to the red point telephone before/after/during your departure and arrival. "Two Tone" is not a thing, they can argue its not "over 51%" (technically just changing the slide colour will not make the rep an "IF") and the last thing you want is to end up having to go off for examination. I would pick one of the acceptable colours and cover as much of the replica as possible. Thinking about it also take the valves out the mags as they can get iffy about pressurized containers they do not have the specs for on hand.  

"Weapons designed or adapted to discharge other missiles including airsoft darts are not considered to be airsoft weapons. They are considered to be firearms."

This should only really count for things that utilise moscarts but its worth adding a declaration to the paperwork making them aware it does not fall into this category. 

Would be interested to see what Airline you go with and how you get on. 

On 04/09/2022 at 20:13, Chev Chelios said:

You want to check Non-standard baggage T&Cs and find the helpline. In my experience they will just treat any gun shaped objects like a real firearm and you will just have to go to the red point telephone before/after/during your departure and arrival. "Two Tone" is not a thing, they can argue its not "over 51%" (technically just changing the slide colour will not make the rep an "IF") and the last thing you want is to end up having to go off for examination. I would pick one of the acceptable colours and cover as much of the replica as possible. Thinking about it also take the valves out the mags as they can get iffy about pressurized containers they do not have the specs for on hand.  

"Weapons designed or adapted to discharge other missiles including airsoft darts are not considered to be airsoft weapons. They are considered to be firearms."

This should only really count for things that utilise moscarts but its worth adding a declaration to the paperwork making them aware it does not fall into this category. 

Would be interested to see what Airline you go with and how you get on. 

Hi, turns out that there is dealers in uk that sells pre-two toned Tokyo marui hi capas that do not need a UKARA check.

I wanna ask that if I only post upgrade parts for my pistol(e.g. slides, safeties, grips,etc),will the border control intercept my package even though there isn't a Airsoft gun inside?

Never say never right? But personally have never had an issue even ordering slide and frame sets and is 100% legal.

30 minutes ago, MatchaMarco said:

I wanna ask that if I only post upgrade parts for my pistol(e.g. slides, safeties, grips,etc),will the border control intercept my package even though there isn't a Airsoft gun inside?

Edited by Chev Chelios

13 hours ago, Johndaniel4863 said:

If i was going to import an airsoft gun into the UK I would do it as @Chev Chelios has done or @Rogerborg suggested.

Rogerborg is right and the offence to import a RIF is dealt with under Section 49 CEMA 79 by virtue of the offences in section 36 VCRA (this produces the importation restriction) and it would be seized under Section 139 CEMA 1979 (General power of seizure)

if it came in at an airport and found in a baggage search BF would be able to seize the item under section 19 PACE 1984 as you would be committing an offence under Section 19 Firearms Act 1967 (carrying an imitation firearm in a public place).

It's an offence only without reasonably excuse. If you're moving if from A to B, that is the excuse. I've done similar in the city before, because that's where the RFD was. Firearms aren't teleported to their destination, someone has to move them.

Section 36 is for RIFs, the OP isn't importing a RIF.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Johndaniel4863 said:

All i am suggesting from an experience point of view is it is better to ship RIF/IF through the border with a courier to avoid any dramas at the border.

You might very well be right, and an IF it should come through OK eventually even if it gets caught and a firearms declaration is demanded.

But I have to ask, is your experience from this year, as things seem to have been tightened up.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Johndaniel4863 said:

I work week on week off at the moment

Oops, sorry, I forgot this was your day job. 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for sharing actual info with us, I really appreciate it.

7 hours ago, MatchaMarco said:

Would I still be committing an offence under Section 19 Firearms Act 1967 (carrying an imitation firearm in a public place) if I am just carrying parts of the gun (slides,grips etc) that cannot be assembled together to form a working Airsoft pistol that can shoot?🤔

Shooting isn't the issue, it's the appearance.  Whether a bunch of parts that could be combined into an IF counts as an IF, phew, who knows?  You'd have to be very unlucky to fall foul of the law there.

• 2 months later...

@Johndaniel4863

Forgive me as I know this is not strictly airsoft, but it is relating to the laws and I have not been able to really get a solid answer anywhere, I'm sure it will be of interest for anyone reading. 

I am an arcade enthusiast and seek to purchase and import a replacement Lightgun which is a clone of the Namco amusement Time Crisis cabinet gun controller from China, it can also be used for pc gaming. I'd like to get this for Christmas so I can play House of the Dead and other classics with family. 

From all that I have read, I would purchase a blue one as opposed to a black one to avoid it being considered a RIF, as an arcade part could it be considered a RIF if black? I would further imagine it would be an offence to paint it black afterwards, would that be correct? It seems that would be the case.

I wonder what your opinion is on whether there would be any issues even if it was blue? These cannot be purchased in the UK at all. 

Further to that I did want to buy a replacement shell (blue) in case the light gun were ever damaged, do you think there would be any issues? These are both arcade machine replacement parts and are fully bright blue, I'd really appreciate your professional opinion, I was thinking to ask the seller to clearly label the items as arcade replacement parts, do you think there are any other ideas that might help? Grateful for your time and I suppose this is in the realm of toys essentially and how they relate to the laws. 

Best regards

Screenshot_20221018-141625.png

Edited by Arcade fan
Spelling correction

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, 

I’ve just ordered this to the UK. 

I’ve struggled to find whether or not there will be a problem with customs for this part. 

https://boomarms.com/products/detonator-cnc-aluminum-glk-factory-type-silencer-compatible-threaded-outer-barrel-for-umarex-ghk-glock-17-gen-3-gbb-pistol-airsoft-14mm-ccw-g17-gen-3

any help on what to expect would be appreciated. ✌🏽

• Supporters
15 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

It's not a RIF so you'll be fine.

Although we've seen people being required to complete firearms declarations even for parts.

But you'll still be fine, it might just take a bit more time.

• 2 months later...

Im sorry for reopening this thread.
Im about to move back to the UK from Portugal and Im doing so by ferry boat. I dont want to leave my MWS behind =(

The portuguese law requires you to paint the stock and the flash hider of your RIF. Do you know if, holding the proof that the gun is mine, i am also registered in the Portuguese Airsoft Association ( UKARA look a like ), and the gun painted as the portuguese law says so, would I be " breaking " the law regarding the UK law ?

1 minute ago, Homeless Snail said:

Im sorry for reopening this thread.
Im about to move back to the UK from Portugal and Im doing so by ferry boat. I dont want to leave my MWS behind =(

The portuguese law requires you to paint the stock and the flash hider of your RIF. Do you know if, holding the proof that the gun is mine, i am also registered in the Portuguese Airsoft Association ( UKARA look a like ), and the gun painted as the portuguese law says so, would I be " breaking " the law regarding the UK law ?

You need a valid U.K. defence to import a RIF

It’s more nuanced than that, but essentially that simple

It needs to be:

UK legal on the power (joules …. But measured via velocity FPS and BB weight)

Then either an IF or a RiF with a defence

IF = over 50% of the body in one of the appointed bright colours

RIF = you need to be recognised that your purpose on import is for it to be used for airsoft skirmishing 

They expect UKARA, but you may or may not get through via your current status 

Details for legal power limits

Locality Max FPS for auto Max FPS for semi
England, Wales 1.3J 374fps ﹫ 0.20g 2.5J 518fps ﹫ 0.20g
Scotland 1.3J 374fps ﹫ 0.20g 2.5J 518fps ﹫ 0.20g
Northern Ireland 1.0J 328fps ﹫ 0.20g 1.0J 328fps ﹫ 0.20g

NOTE that these are legal limits but site limits to play are are lower.  Usually 350 for auto, 400 for semi and 500 for bolt action

Edited by EDcase