Paintball mask /eyepro

Welshd1k

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So my wife has set me a budget of 200 to replace my hk army mask as its luminous and stand out looking for a camo setup or something dark. 

Spoilt for choice with what to go for but do I :

Dye i5 

Jt proflex x

Virtue vio

Push unite 

Or do I go down the lines of warq or one tigris full face /helmet 

I'm a. Larger person and find my hk mask fogs up 

IMG-20220705-WA0015.jpg

@heroshark does some pretty great eye protection if you can get along with mesh. You get far more visibility with his stuff than normal mesh and I've got a pair with prescription inserts that I keep for when it's a really foggy day and my Revision Sawflys start fogging (which in itself is fairly rare...)

Speaking of which, Revision Sawflys are really good. A bit pricey, but quality eye protection is worth every penny spent. I'm also looking to get myself a set of their Desert Locust goggles with prescription inserts and the inbuilt fan to try and combat fogging for a fully covered CQB loadout that I want to put together at some point. They are super expensive, but as I said, quality eye protection is always worth it.

28 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Valken MI-7, with a decent dual pane thermal lens, and spend the rest on hookers and blackjack.

That's a very different class of Paintball goggle. Once you've been higher-end (like OP already has), entry-level feels pretty shit by comparison.

53 minutes ago, Welshd1k said:

Dye i5 

Jt proflex x

Virtue vio

Push unite

JT Proflex (not the 'X' version) are pretty epic for comfort and breath-ability, let down by the issue that the lenses can be a bitch to change. The X-version seems a bit wank as the frame is thicc (and cheap looking) and cuts down your vision.

Empire E-Flex matches the look and performance of the original Proflex but with a better lens system - I have two sets and have been amazeballs over the years.

image.png.704d17da76221d79fc19c7da79797d37.png

They do have an Airsoft version with a mesh lower called the E-Mesh

image.png.3308eca2d2fa4615b0c7939aaa5205cd.png

A lot of the Airsoft speedybois use Dye I5s. They can be had for well within your budget (£160) and hold their value really well if you keep them in good nick.

If you start down the helmet route - expect to sweat - a lot.

11 minutes ago, Welshd1k said:

How do you find the empire.

I've been using Empire goggles for 12 years or so in various models - E-vents and E-flexes and I also have a couple of pairs of the low-end Helix as loaners and for my kids to use. So I can say I like them.

As a glasses wearer - the lens design is big enough that my specs fit inside with loads of room. I use a DIY goggle fan setup to mitigate fogging on the glasses (a problem with any paintball google for a glasses wearer).

image.png.6c39881e76d02c382504c56808676650.png

As for Dye - well, frankly,  if they are shit, people wouldn't buy them either new or second hand - they are very popular. I've not tried either the i4 or i5 personally (I had the Dye Invision/i3's which is a very different goggle system). The i4 and 5 use the same lens design and the i4 can be had for £100.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Tommikka said:

….  who cuddles & who cries ?

Depends who's got the most daddy issues.

On topic, having become a convert to paintball masks in CQB via the cheap MI-7, I guess I should look at the higher end ones.  Dual/thermal pane is an absolute must-have. I've fogged up absolutely everything else short of the MI-7 - it's starting how much better even that entry level setup is to goggles or glasses.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Depends who's got the most daddy issues.

On topic, having become a convert to paintball masks in CQB via the cheap MI-7, I guess I should look at the higher end ones.  Dual/thermal pane is an absolute must-have. I've fogged up absolutely everything else short of the MI-7 - it's starting how much better even that entry level setup is to goggles or glasses.

I bought a set of MI7s just because of the colour scheme.  They fitted my head well, so are comfortable and good on ventilation

My preferred goggles are VForce Grillz/Grills and I have a few sets.

(For a number of years one retailer was selling certain colour schemes very cheaply at the end of the season)

Dye won the market with their advertising and team associations, especially with the i4.

Their marketing of ‘lowest profile’ won them the market share even to heads that it gives a bad fit.

That then transferred to speedsoft 

Any ‘premium’ model has the key features of soft rubber, soft ears, anti fog (but never truly no fog in all situations), good straps - but everyone is unique in needs & preference 

My main recommendations on fog avoidance are dual pane, factory coating, don’t put on any treatment other than water & microfibre (until you have to when the original coating loses functionality), clear ventilation and ideally foam that seals / directs your breath away from lens as much as possible 

24 minutes ago, cropzy said:

Because they are massive and cumbersome.

Just because of the integrated helmet or other reasons? Asking as a prospective buyer.

28 minutes ago, Floperator said:

Just because of the integrated helmet or other reasons? Asking as a prospective buyer.

I've only seen one in the 'real' and it made the wearer look like a bobble-head.

I think the helmet was FAST sized, but the face mask makes the whole thing look much bigger.

I'm sure it's a decent product though - just don't expect to be able to aim down sights with one:

image.png.55e01afa65d1b962325f8ad8840e96e4.png

(Random google images result)

Edited by Speedbird_666

• Supporters

I guess one benefit of something cheap like an MI-7 is that you can just go ahead and do what I've done to mine: lop off the whole bottom-right quarter of it.

4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I guess one benefit of something cheap like an MI-7 is that you can just go ahead and do what I've done to mine: lop off the whole bottom-right quarter of it.

That's....a fair point I suppose. It's just a shame the MI-7 looks so...gopping.  But I guess you're not looking at the outside of the mask when you wear it.

I did have a squeaky bum moment cutting the fan hole into the top of my Empire goggles.

19 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

That's....a fair point I suppose. It's just a shame the MI-7 looks so...gopping.  But I guess you're not looking at the outside of the mask when you wear it.

I did have a squeaky bum moment cutting the fan hole into the top of my Empire goggles.

…. Other budget goggles are available …. Though quite a few are similar as there’s not a lot of difference in basic head/chin design 

Just now, Tommikka said:

…. Other budget goggles are available …. Though quite a few are similar as there’s not a lot of difference in basic head/chin design 

Yeh - I have a couple sets of Empire Helix which are fine. Quite like the look of the HK HSTL.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.