Reliable and upgrade-friendly AEG suggestions

Velaryon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I'm currently looking for an AEG that can last for a long time, while being fool-proof, sturdy and upgrade-friendly for when the time comes. Mostly for CQB games and mid-range engagements (35-45m max.).

I don't have any platform preference, I've used M4s, MP5s and AKs, and felt comfortable with all of them. And although I have a clear metal preference, I won't refuse a sturdy and well-built reinforced polymer body.

These are some of the replicas that I've been looking at, I'm totally open to recommendations (250€ approximate budget for the weapon, not counting upgrades or mosfet).

https://www.taiwangun.com/es/fusil-de-asalto-aeg/replica-cm-045c-cyma

https://www.taiwangun.com/es/fusil-de-asalto-aeg/replica-cm-077c-cyma

https://www.taiwangun.com/es/subfusil-aeg/la-cm-041l-upgraded-version-cyma?q=cm.041l&campaign-id=14

https://www.taiwangun.com/es/fusil-de-asalto-aeg/replica-m906c-fire-control-system-edition-de?q=m906c&campaign-id=14

https://www.taiwangun.com/es/fusil-de-asalto-aeg/replica-m907c-fire-control-system-edition-de?q=m907c&campaign-id=14

If you know about some models that would fit better, like some Specna (I know about the roulette that their gearbox is), Rossi or G&G (ARP9, PCC9), don't hesitate! Here to learn!

Thanks for your time!

In general, you can't go wrong with a Cyma AK or mp5. They're TM clones so there are an absolute plethora of parts available, but they also perform incredibly well out of the box for the price tag. If you're looking to do mostly CQB and mid-range, I'd heartily recommend looking at a Cyma mp5 (any of the cm.041 line really, it's your preference on aesthetics). They'll be perfect for CQB due to their compact size and will fire out of the box easily to 35 - 45m engagements, but if you find yourself wanting a bit more range or consistency, all you need to do is throw a Maple Leaf macaron or MR hop rubber into them and they become pretty ridiculous out to 50 - 60m. I have a totally stock Cyma mp5k that I sometimes use as a secondary when I'm sniping and want some "oh crap, they've spotted me" full-auto firepower and it shoots pretty accurately to 45m.

I'll let someone more qualified to talk about gearbox or mosfet magic though. I'm mostly a GBBR and sniper user, so I won't touch that stuff with a 10m barge pole :P

Edited by Impulse

I think I need a special key on my keyboard that always pastes this link :)
https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/double-eagle-m904g-honey-badger-w-fire-control-system-edition?pv=13200

I think the only real downside to it is it's not a high RoF beast, so might not be so ideal for CQB.  The CM.041L linked above with an advertised 25rps might be the better (but substantially more expensive) bet on that front.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/double-eagle-m904g-honey-badger-w-fire-control-system-edition?pv=13200

I think the only real downside to it is it's not a high RoF beast, so might not be so ideal for CQB.  The CM.041L linked above with an advertised 25rps might be the better (but substantially more expensive) bet on that front.

Most cqb in my experience is semi only so it should be fine

5 minutes ago, MAX DICKER said:

Most cqb in my experience is semi only so it should be fine

D'oh!
I forgot that!   I've only ever played woodland.

Spec Ops in MK are going to open a CQB site soon, it seems, so I'll pop that cherry...

36 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

D'oh!
I forgot that!   I've only ever played woodland.

Spec Ops in MK are going to open a CQB site soon, it seems, so I'll pop that cherry...

Hmm, I work in that area from time to time... might have to check it out.

3 hours ago, Impulse said:

In general, you can't go wrong with a Cyma AK or mp5. They're TM clones so there are an absolute plethora of parts available, but they also perform incredibly well out of the box for the price tag. If you're looking to do mostly CQB and mid-range, I'd heartily recommend looking at a Cyma mp5 (any of the cm.041 line really, it's your preference on aesthetics).

Yeah, been looking at the CM.041 family also.

CM.041H/G are a bit too heavy for 6hr games, more than 3.2Kg to carry and with sliding hop problems. CM.041L seems to have fixed the hop design, butuses a V3 gearbox without the motor casing, it's just fitted into the pistol grip, and I'm not so sure about the quality of that polymer.

So far, the CM.045C or CM.077C with rails are winning the competition.

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

How's the polymer quality of the M904? Does it bend or scratch easily? 

From D.E. I have been eyeing the metal ones, M906C / M907C. Is there any feedback on the metal quality? Aluminium / Zinc or crackpot? 

Cyma's CM.097 were also on the table, but I've seen too many reports of cracks around the rear pin.

And don't worry about the RoF, semi only fields, so...

Thanks!

My M906C is a champ.  Granted most of it is covered up by a Novritsch camo sleeve (front handguard, upper receiver, stock), but the exposed bits (mag well) haven't scratched at all, and it's it's seen plenty of rough action (yub yub, wibble).  The metal seems pretty good to me, but then I've got limited experience with newer, top tier guns to compare with.

The Spec Ops site runs some DE904Gs and I've only seen them in passing but they looked respectable and the site tech likes them.  (The site also uses a lot of G&G Combat Machines, which I used a couple of times before I got my DE, and they were good too)

The only thing we've had that's bad on the DE's is the provided spring.   It's gets tired very quickly.  So chuck that out and put in a better one for a tenner.   Quick Change spring system means even I managed without buggering up the gun, and it took 5 minutes.
A better hop rubber is a good idea too - but that's pretty standard advice for any gun.

52 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

My M906C is a champ.  Granted most of it is covered up by a Novritsch camo sleeve (front handguard, upper receiver, stock), but the exposed bits (mag well) haven't scratched at all, and it's it's seen plenty of rough action (yub yub, wibble).  The metal seems pretty good to me, but then I've got limited experience with newer, top tier guns to compare with.

The Spec Ops site runs some DE904Gs and I've only seen them in passing but they looked respectable and the site tech likes them.  (The site also uses a lot of G&G Combat Machines, which I used a couple of times before I got my DE, and they were good too)

The only thing we've had that's bad on the DE's is the provided spring.   It's gets tired very quickly.  So chuck that out and put in a better one for a tenner.   Quick Change spring system means even I managed without buggering up the gun, and it took 5 minutes.
A better hop rubber is a good idea too - but that's pretty standard advice for any gun.

Yup, heard about DE's springs. I had already planned to throw a SP100 or SP90 spring together with a macaron and probably a new compression system, so the GB will have to be opened anyway. 

Really liking everything that I see about them, your feedback is really appreciated. Thought they were crackpot metal.

BTW, is it me or the only differences between M906C / M907C is that the 7Cs receiver looks to be a bit more reinforced, at least externally?

Yeah, I've not seen a 907 in the flesh but I think that's a 'forged vs billet' look... or is that 907 vs 908?  I forget.  I did ask the question back when I was choosing the DE in the first place... but the big diff is the 904's polymer vs 907 metal receiver.  I think some of the 904s have aluminium handguards, it's just(?) the G that is entirely polymer.

I know lots of people talk about Chinesium pot-metal etc but to be honest I'm not sure I could tell the difference between good and bad metal in the guns I've seen.  So I may not be the ideal judge on the DE. 

But damn it I love the thing regardless: 
Someone here claimed (a long time ago) that 'reliability' was an endearing characteristic.   I pooh-poohed it at the time, but I've since entirely come around to that idea, given how well the DE has worked for me in the six months I've had it (with the exception of when the spring turned to cheese and the FPS fell off a cliff!)

On the day I got it, plus Kobra red-dot.

image.thumb.png.386c4c07772e400c8cbc9083bdc4e4e7.png

Current loadout with the camo cover (not done up properly on the stock)... and suppressor, stubby foregrip, PTS EPS stock, Amazon-special red dot, Lonex flash mag, single point sling attachment.
image.thumb.png.e0e008c5403e894a43c71a39f39a2798.png

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Yeah, I've not seen a 907 in the flesh but I think that's a 'forged vs billet' look... or is that 907 vs 908?  I forget.  I did ask the question back when I was choosing the DE in the first place... but the big diff is the 904's polymer vs 907 metal receiver.  I think some of the 904s have aluminium handguards, it's just(?) the G that is entirely polymer.

I know lots of people talk about Chinesium pot-metal etc but to be honest I'm not sure I could tell the difference between good and bad metal in the guns I've seen.  So I may not be the ideal judge on the DE. 

But damn it I love the thing regardless: 
Someone here claimed (a long time ago) that 'reliability' was an endearing characteristic.   I pooh-poohed it at the time, but I've since entirely come around to that idea, given how well the DE has worked for me in the six months I've had it (with the exception of when the spring turned to cheese and the FPS fell off a cliff!)

On the day I got it, plus Kobra red-dot.

Current loadout with the camo cover... and suppressor, stubby foregrip, PTS EPS stock, Amazon-special red dot, Lonex flash mag, single point sling attachment.

That looks amazing to say the least.

25 minutes ago, Lozart said:

*laughs in M14 EBR*

Do you have wet noodles for arms?

Didn't say I couldn't carry it hahahaha, just felt impractical when I'm used to M4's in the 2- 2.5Kg range (standard rental weapons). For that weight and price I rather get a SA-H20 2.0.

Jokes out, the damn MP5 standard hopup chamber is what set me back from adding the .041H / .041G that to the list. A friend has one and had to readjust the hop after every 2 or 3 bursts, he ended up duct-taping it.

Edited by Velaryon
Typo

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

*laughs in M14 EBR*

Do you have wet noodles for arms?

*looks at fully immersive weighted plate carrier with all the GBBR mags*

Ah, a fellow sadist and/or fitness enthusiast. Airsoft is an excuse for a biceps workout then? :P 

8 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

For me that's not its real downside, it's the marmite "honey badger" stock itself, which has bugger all battery space, and of course as there's no real buffer tube you can't swap over to a PTS EPS stock 😢

Just found that a local store has some brand new G&G PCC9 for less than 200€, what's the general consensus on them?

Ticks every box except the metal receivers, but G&G polymers don't have a bad reputation (unlike their gearboxes, from what I've seen they tend to crack relatively easy).

Is the PCC9 better or worse than the replicas of my first comment (CM.045C / CM.041L / M906/7)? Thanks!

Edited by Velaryon

On 30/04/2022 at 00:19, Velaryon said:

Just found that a local store has some brand new G&G PCC9 for less than 200€, what's the general consensus on them?

Ticks every box except the metal receivers, but G&G polymers don't have a bad reputation (unlike their gearboxes, from what I've seen they tend to crack relatively easy).

Is the PCC9 better or worse than the replicas of my first comment (CM.045C / CM.041L / M906/7)? Thanks!

They are great performing guns, drum mags are especially fun. However out 5 owned by members of my team 3 failed for different reasons with in 5 months of purchase (there was heavy use).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.