Tokyo Marui Pistol Red Dot losing zeroing

MortalEngine

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

So I recently HPA'd my FNX 45 which is great, and it works fantastic. But I'm having one issue, I'm not sure if it's because it's a slightly hotter gun than before now (not too much, don't worry), or something else, but I found that after I zero'd the red dot and skirmished the gun further, the red dot kept losing the zero'ing that I'd done. This wasn't slight changes for adjustment but essentially the sight ended up being completely off.

I'm not sure if this is a case of the red dot being poor (which would be a shame, it's been working great so far!), not being screwed tight enough (surprising as it worked fine before the gun was HPA'd) or some other reason I haven't considered. But any insight would be great.

I linked below the exact red dot I'm using. If it is the red dot, any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks guys!

TM Red Dot.

• Supporters

sounds like the dot just can't handle the repeated battering it's getting on a pistol slide.

not sure i'd expect any non RS optic to survive even the lower tier punishment our toys can dish out.

I was worried this is the answer. But I'm surprised as the gun is shooting 290~ Fps on .25g. It's not like I was going mental on it.

Any recommendations on something to handle it? It was driving me mad during game time when I couldn't aim at all.

Edited by MortalEngine
Typo

For what its worth, I have the same TM red dot on a TM FNX-45 and have no problems with it holding zero after thousand+ rounds & lots of beating up. That is run on red/green gas to around 260 fps with 0.36s, so if anything a bit more kick than your HPA setup.

Sounds like you got unlucky with your red dot, might be worth returning if you still can? Or maybe some loctite on the adjustment screws on the inside?

Hey Sinister! 

Yeah I'm wondering if maybe I need to play around with the screws. I've had it for literal months by this point so not sure if I can return it, it honestly worked fine before I HPA'd the gun. Now the line of sight is completely going off after 170~ rounds or so. 

Also surprised you're running at 260fps with 0.36g, are you not worried about the slide? Thanks for the info though!

I’ve owned a few TM FNX’s, and most if not all airsoft red dots are hit and miss.

Either they lose zero eventually, or the dot stars out, or parallax error is really poor, or all three.

The TM red dot that came on my current FNX was so bad I gave it away

I use real steel ones now, best budget priced are Vector Optics @MagpieTactical has a very decent one on his.

I have a Sig Sauer Romeo1 on mine

74C1068D-B42F-4E4D-80B3-D602CCE978F4.thumb.jpeg.9c211d8d88192ce8af5c16db4d139fb5.jpeg800D8F66-3200-4566-A1FD-0302E47C621E.thumb.jpeg.1bdd8f2c6a09d9e50089ee3fe70c3481.jpeg52264EB5-CFC9-4A20-AB36-DA864F356212.thumb.jpeg.ba0807a8adf219d0658f53718ae7d126.jpeg

Agree with @rocketdogbert, one of the main plusses for me of a decent sight is lack of parallax error.

Have seen reviews stating the TM sight has high error.  So I went with a real steel sight

PSX_20220402_171713.thumb.jpg.4a640b571071c13f0b2c137d29f3e55a.jpg

Tricky one, a cheap red dot is going to get smashed to bits going back and forth on the slide, and a quality RDS is inevitably going to get shot through by a bb.

Not sure how stable one of those clip on lens protectors would be on a GBB slide either.

The actual Windage & elevation may be winding / unwinding itself , zero it again and put some witness marks against the adjusters , if they seem to be shifting then zero again and try some low yield thread lock on the adjusters , just a blob on the end of a cocktail stick and dot it over them . 

28 minutes ago, Floperator said:

Tricky one, a cheap red dot is going to get smashed to bits going back and forth on the slide, and a quality RDS is inevitably going to get shot through by a bb.

Not sure how stable one of those clip on lens protectors would be on a GBB slide either.

Vortex, Vector and Sig Sauer all come with a lifetime damage guarantee, including bb hits

38 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Vortex, Vector and Sig Sauer all come with a lifetime damage guarantee, including bb hits

Really? Then I stand corrected, definitely worth investing in a quality RDS then.

I’ve got the said TM RMR site myself. It’s ok for what it is I guess. It’s the only non RS site I have as a matter of fact. It seems to work fine on a standard pistol but to be honest I don’t use my pistols much as I’m mainly woodland and it’s there as a last resort when a target is within the MED

Thanks for the RMR suggestions @MagpieTactical and @rocketdogbert - I wish I had known that the TM had this kind of issue, I suppose I just went along with assuming it had the usual TM quality seal of approval. I do have to ask is that the Vector Optics Frenzy-S on your gun Magpie? I did hear that Vector Optics were an overpriced chinese rip, but I'm happy to be proven wrong on that, because they're the only real steel option that won't completely break the bank. Also did you both have to get the DCI RMR mount plate to fix them on the FNX?

@JimFromHorsham I'll definitely give this a go later today, I'm hoping the solution is that easy, as opposed to something internal!

Just now, MortalEngine said:

Oh! Haha, I'm assuming you don't sell them and the like. I suppose I may need the DCI mount after all then, if only to provide the spacing.

Do DCI make one for the TM? I’ve never looked.

Drop me a DM if you want me to make you a spacer plate, 

37 minutes ago, MortalEngine said:

Thanks for the RMR suggestions @MagpieTactical and @rocketdogbert - I wish I had known that the TM had this kind of issue, I suppose I just went along with assuming it had the usual TM quality seal of approval. I do have to ask is that the Vector Optics Frenzy-S on your gun Magpie? I did hear that Vector Optics were an overpriced chinese rip, but I'm happy to be proven wrong on that, because they're the only real steel option that won't completely break the bank. Also did you both have to get the DCI RMR mount plate to fix them on the FNX?

@JimFromHorsham I'll definitely give this a go later today, I'm hoping the solution is that easy, as opposed to something internal!

Its the Frenzy 1x20x28 6moa model

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/vector-frenzy-1x20x28-rd-vt-red-dot-sight

+1 for the Vector Frenzy.

I have them on my Action Air GBB pistol which runs on black gas and on a RS .22LR LBP. No issues on either although I do have them frame mounted not on the slide. Haven't needed to try the warranty yet but it's supposed to be good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2022 at 07:07, rocketdogbert said:

I’ve owned a few TM FNX’s, and most if not all airsoft red dots are hit and miss.

Either they lose zero eventually, or the dot stars out, or parallax error is really poor, or all three.

The TM red dot that came on my current FNX was so bad I gave it away

I use real steel ones now, best budget priced are Vector Optics @MagpieTactical has a very decent one on his.

I have a Sig Sauer Romeo1 on mine

74C1068D-B42F-4E4D-80B3-D602CCE978F4.thumb.jpeg.9c211d8d88192ce8af5c16db4d139fb5.jpeg800D8F66-3200-4566-A1FD-0302E47C621E.thumb.jpeg.1bdd8f2c6a09d9e50089ee3fe70c3481.jpeg52264EB5-CFC9-4A20-AB36-DA864F356212.thumb.jpeg.ba0807a8adf219d0658f53718ae7d126.jpeg

Are you happy with Sig Sauer? Because I am thinking about purchasing optics and I have heard differnets opinions about it. Someone is completely satisfied with it, someone says that they don’t have that tactile click that one like when adjusting. I think that is not big deal

1 hour ago, Daymond said:

Are you happy with Sig Sauer? Because I am thinking about purchasing optics and I have heard differnets opinions about it. Someone is completely satisfied with it, someone says that they don’t have that tactile click that one like when adjusting. I think that is not big deal

It is absolutely perfect, with a very positive click when adjusting. I am having some battery issues at present, that I’m hoping isn’t the sight but a bad batch of batteries 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.