Broke the last tooth of the sector gear.

george1976

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello gentlemen, I was being lazy when I opened my ICX CXP 275 gearbox, and instead of taking both pins out and split the gearbox, I decided to be fancy and just split it with the pin at the front of the receiver on it. Sector gear disagreed with me and said: I will drop my last tooth you w**ker.

Now, I don't see anything wrong in the way the gun works, aside from maybe a small drop in power because the spring is not pushed back all the way it used to be before.

Is there anything else that maybe can creep it's ugly head later on?

Thanks

• Supporters

Where did the tooth go? Dont want it rattling around in there.....

If its a clean enough break it could be ok, short stroking a gun by intentionally grinding off teeth is a well established practice for getting a little more snappiness out of the box (and allow a higher rof before you get pme issues). Only issue is if its a long enough barrel that you need the full stroke for volume (~450mm ish)

Reduced power is a by product of less compression, so you do usually need to run a stronger spring to compensate, which is where you can get issues same as running a stronger spring for higher power.

I'd say at the very least strip, clean, file down any remnants of the tooth and make sure there's no other damage (eg to piston).

I took it out, looks like a very clean break at the base, exactly like short stroking. Only reason I asked is because people usually grind the first tooth not the last one, and I do not want to replace the gears now.

Barrel is 380mm and everything looks fine.

A 140 spring would be advisable I believe because it sits at 1.4J now and I can go up to 1.7J.

Thanks.

Intentionally removing a tooth or two from the sector gear is common practice.

The tooth snapping on its own means the sector gear is made of molten cheese and makes me wonder how shit that gear is and how long until it dies, killing half the internals in the process....

Removing the tooth of the release side of a sector gear can cause nozzle and tappet timing issues, potential misfeeds etc.

9 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Removing the tooth of the release side of a sector gear can cause nozzle and tappet timing issues, potential misfeeds etc.

Depends on how the whole thing is set up.

Release side is always "dangerous" because of how close the release points for the nozzle and piston are and needs proper planning or you'll end up with massive power losses or fucked up feeding.

• Supporters
On 09/04/2022 at 11:20, george1976 said:

Now, I don't see anything wrong in the way the gun works

Your observations of reality have no bearing on our predictions of inevitable doom.

It's airsoft, it's a miracle when anything works at all.  I wouldn't worry about it until something (else) breaks.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.