Unscrewing x300 bezel

MAX DICKER

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So this happened last month. Not a problem, still works and I have a replacement perspex lens but Holy crap, I cannot unscrew the bezel. Does anyone have any experience doing so? What am I doing wrong?

20220224_133357.jpg

Piece of scrap metal the right thickness cut to the right width does it.

Old set of Polycarbonate glasses cut to shape and you'll never have to do it again.

• Supporters

Its essentially locktite'd on. Like an orange tip but more extreme. Youll need to get it quite hot, then wrap something around it (its metal, so itll be hot) and unscrew. Its a PITA to do.

3 minutes ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

Its essentially locktite'd on. Like an orange tip but more extreme. Youll need to get it quite hot, then wrap something around it (its metal, so itll be hot) and unscrew. Its a PITA to do.

How hot? I have a leister hot air gun I can use but am obviously concerned about damage

19 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

How hot? I have a leister hot air gun I can use but am obviously concerned about damage

You should be able to get it pretty hot without causing damage. The components inside should be fine as its not a direct heat source, the metal will get way hotter than the pcb so you shouldn't worry about melting the solder too much. But that said, keep trying to break the loctite regularly as you don't want to over heat it, just enough to melt the loctite. So trying every 5-10 seconds once it's fairly hot is a good idea. Also apply the heat evenly, don't concentrate on one area too long, it wants to heat up gradually.

Edited by Khyber

Bummer! 😔

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.