Advice please-cheap but good 5.56 fast mag pouches

Oneshotscott

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

You guys are a vast wealth of knowledge and I'd like to tap into it again. 

I'm trying to recycle and hopefully reuse my current pouches or if I must... Spend money.

Ive currently got 5 x warrior 5.56 mag pouches (the elastic bungee types with a pull tab on the top) but I'm wanting to have 8 x fast mag pouches that I can remove a mag and slip it back in once used.  I'm not a fan of dump pouches anymore. 

So has anyone got any experience of modifying normal pouches (like my current ones) to hold mags securely without the need for the elastic over the top?  I was thinking of just running elastic through to sides without buying those plastic inserts. 

Alternatively I've seen the nupr.... Yep that horrible brand..... Nuprol V2 fast mags that go for £11.99 in most shops. Are they OK or does anyone else know of any other products that are good value? I'm not wanting to be paying warrior prices as I've learnt the hard way (bought lots years ago after it's "all the rage" only to find the viper kit is just as good). 

The hsgi pouches would be my first choice but no way would I feel good with myself for paying that much per mag pouch. 

As usual guys, I appreciate your time and help. 

Thanks 

• Supporters

8 single speed pouches is an odd setup. I'd advocate buying 2 or 3 good quality pouches with fast access, then mount them in the easiest to reach places on your kit and stock them up from any simpler/slower/flapped/shingle pouches you have when time permits.  Magazine/ammunition management is an important skill for real guys doing real shit and this is how they do things and you're not going to be in that intense of a fight in airsoft you don't have time to shuffle a couple of mags around.  I've done this for all my loadouts for pushing a decade, works great, reloads are always on point.

Fuck Nuprol in general irrespective of whether any given product happens to be a rare example of something in their product line that's not turd.

What he said. I usually run a couple of HSGI's on the belt and top up from chest rig. The emdom MM dump pouch has always worked way better for me than the standard flappy ones.

If you really don't want to go down that route then HSGI's do still meet the original objective of being easy enough to put mags back into, but it's an expensive way to do things and will take up a lot more real estate.

I've been thrashing around the internetz trying to do exactly the same thing.  I've got some osprey sa80 pouches which I like, good in the they can hold both my m4 and AK-47 mags securely.  But as you say they're not the fastest.  So I bought a plastic shell fast mag pouch.  Unfortunately it wasn't Molle do I had to paracord it to my battle harness, flopping around a little.  However it did prove that plastic is the way to go.

Eventually I found these....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-Mag-Holster-Molle-Mag-Clip-5-56-Fast-Magazine-Pouch-Strike-System-/313209884981?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I've only ordered them last night but these are cheap at £10 for two holders, and they were available in green as I wanted.  The only problem is they might not arrive until the end of the month

Full9- thanks🤣.  6 x on my plate carrier and 2 x on my belt isn't odd for my airsoft setup but everyone is entitled to their opinions.  "Real guys doing real shit" ...its airsoft...its OK to do things differently.  If that works for you then great but I'm only here to ask for advice on the mag pouches only. thanks anyway. 

Hatchet-thanks for the recommendation on the dump pouch but I'm trying to bin it from my kit. I may end up going hsgi if I can't find any others 😔

Rostockmcspoons- thanks for the information 😁I did look at those but I'm not a fan. If I find anything il send you a pm.unless you find something sooner 😂

Why you would need fast access to 8 mags at any one time?

Magazine admin is the way, “real shit” translates very well to Airsoft but if you really want to look like a walking magazine hanger then stick with ITW nexus or esstac pouches.

Stay away from nuprol, load of shyt.

You guys are the best! the advice you're giving me is truly awesome and for that I am grateful. 

Thank you Wavey_Gravey for your recommendations on the good and the not so good pouches.  Have you any experience of using either of these pouches? if so how easy was it to reinsert the mag?

Some days are very slow where I only use 4 magazines in a day😢 whereas other days I can use up my full set of magazines without moving a meter in a defensive position/scenario😍.  I would prefer to have my magazines as readily available as I can so long as they're secure rather than fumbling around, moving emptied magazines etc especially when in firefight with an enemy.

I don't play airsoft to 'look the part', I go to have fun, shoot other players(especially those with exceptional magazine admin skills😉), help my team win if I can and use kit that is simple and works best for my style of play.  If I cared about what others think of how I look when playing airsoft of all things, then I would be concerned for my mental health.

The ITW ones are the “original” fast mags, I like them but I’m not keen on the aesthetic (shoot me) but Esstac’s are the dogs. 

Both are very easy to re index mags into.

They pop up on the forum classifieds now and again.

Edited by Wavey_Gravey

I bought some unbranded things from e-bay a few years ago.  I simply bought the cheapest listed.  They still work fine.  I use mine each game with no probs touch wood.  

If they had been complete dogshit, I'd have sent them back.

Several times I've bought plastic items from China for peanuts, only to have them arrive bearing an expensive brand name.  

• Supporters

If they're the Warrior pouches with the black, textured vinyl type lining, just ditch the bungee loops and run them as is. They'll be fine. Alternatively, get yourself some kydex inserts and shove them in your pouches. Job done.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.