Silent Semi Decent Rps 'Nothing Crazy' List Build Kinda? Am I Missing Anything.

slayerkitty

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hey guys/gals my current build... im trying to build a "quiet" build so thinking the mushroom build, shs/zci 13:1 gears with a 14 Tooth piston.

i currently have a aster fitted and shs high torque motor, iv read that having aluminium piston head/cylinder "having both" puts more stress on the gearbox and tends to help it crack? is this right????
is there anything missing from this build? should i go with the SHS gears so then its all full shs?   like i said im trying to make a quiet build, so will also be using  a foam filled suppressor, and i know a good shimmed rif will help also. thats not a problem. 

also have a New m110, and M120 spring. should i need to short stoke?

list.png

• slayerkitty changed the title to Silent Semi Decent Rps 'Nothing Crazy' List Build Kinda? Am I Missing Anything.

The Silent head pistons do very little to reduce noise. Concentrate on shimming well and correction of AOE. I would suggest a plastic toothed piston which may negate some noise of the gear on piston. Though again, the effect would be minimal.   

What rifle is this going in? The best rifles for quietness are ones that have lots of space inside the receiver so you can fill it with foam or other sound dampening things, such as Augs, F2000's and P90s. 

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

The Silent head pistons do very little to reduce noise.

But they do change the aoe, which may or may not be what you want in the box.

When you say a quiet build what do you want? Because your expectations will define what you should be thinking about.

There are really 2 main sources of noise:

Piston slap/barrel pop

Gear/motor noise

The first can be dealt with to some extent with a longer barrel, as long as you can properly volume (or to the extreme under-volume at the expense of some accuracy)

This has the side effect of reducing piston slap too.

The gear noise you're talking perfect shimming and matched gears, but the motor is still going to make noise depending on the quality (balance etc).

After that as @Asomodai mentions it's a case of fundamental gun design, a bullpup with a polymer body and the gearbox nestled in your arms is gonna be quieter (to the person who isnt firing it, as the shooter your ear is right next to the gearbox) than say an m4 platform that has basically bugger all sound insulation.

Tbh if you want true silence and a carbine kit on a mk23 isnt what you want then there's no substitute for hpa.

However true silence has its limitations, even when your gun makes practically no noise the guy you just hit is either gonna whisper where you are to his buddies as he heads off or he's gonna beeline his way back to you from the nearest spawn.

• Supporters

Yes go with SHS gears to SHS pinion imho...

Apart from presumed better meshing,

You can add delayer if required,

(Try adding one to a bearing - good luck),

Plus think the SHS bevel is a bit more robust than,

the others with 8 latches, just the bevel to spur teeth,

tend to be a little less chunky that SHS bevels 10 teeth.

Well that is what I'd go with myself if they shim up ok,

SHS can be a bit chunky/fat in some boxes,

But reckon they just got the edge for durability imho

Perfect shimming is my a problem, 

I'll trying to reduce the piston slap./ pop more than anything, it will be going in a 9mm King Arms,  at the moment the loudest part is the piston slap/pop, 

So the list I have atm should help with that?  Even if its helps a bit ill be happy ill swap the zci with the shs. Then it should match the motor. 

Is the list a decent build iv but really tried reducing the noise before. Hpa is out of the question 

• Supporters

when you say 9mm king arms you're not talking about the stubby m4 with an mp5 adapter?

because eliminating piston slap/barrel pop on a setup that short isn't going to happen.

• Supporters

i mean that's not as bad as i thought it was, but when i mentioned longer barrel i'm talking the 400mm+ length you'd see in something like an f2000.

of course if you're increasing barrel length you're gonna want to increase cylinder volume too (duck's the expert on exactly which port type to use for which barrel length).

as much as i hate to say it but i think you're really using the wrong gun for this.....

The POM silent heads are quieter then the Alu ones. The Alu ones have significant slap the pom ones it's more of a thud. All that is for nothing if you can't deaden the gearbox and insulate it.

I have a silent AUG build. To the shooter it's still loud, but to anyone a few meters away you can still hear it, but it's muffled, without a pop and very difficult to locate. There are almost as many modifications to the body as there are to the gearbox to achieve that. Outside of 10-15 meters it's as good a silent.

The gearbox is lower on power (315fps), POM silent head, A solid brass spring guide, Greased mainspring with very heavy grease. Well shimmed. Heavy gearbox shells, Bushings, heavy gearbox grease. Brass thick walled cylinder (I think it came out of an old Cyma).

The body is stuffed with closed cell foam, it has a big silencer with the foam modified to create pockets internally. The silencer makes up a vast amount of the sound removal taking any piston slap pretty much out of the shot. It also has a 340mm inner barrel (should be 509mm) Creating even more volume and break for the suppressor as the sounds can be pushed back into the outer barrel.

My second aug has the SHS silent head set (it's actually a bore up set), No internal foam, No suppressor, QC spring guide.... It's nosier than a stock AUG.

So you can make a gun quiet but you need the correct base gun to do it. Something with volume round the gearbox that can be filled, and you want as much mass as possible in the gearbox itself. Think of a tuning fork more mass is a lower pitch, Lower pitches travel further, but are harder to pinpoint than quiet sharp sounds.

• Supporters

one thing that is worth mentioning is that play-style can really effect how silent a gun needs to be.

i found it kind of odd when i started using the dragonuv but despite the hilarious racket that thing makes when firing (part of the reason i got it in the first place) some folk straight up wouldn't notice me shooting.

i suspect the main reason is that in the name of consistency with gas i'd space my shots much more than i would if i was using an assault gun (even an hpa) so after the initial racket there's no follow up noise/bb whizzing to give folk an idea where it came from.

Oh a fellow KA PDW user :D (old pic, the trigger is now a MAXX gold one and I reverted to the OEM stock)

Z2JYw9R.jpg

Unfortunately in an AEG you can't do much to shut up the gun, one thing that works surprisingly well is a DSG setup, the sound report is so short that locating it is really hard (in semi, in full auto it's like an A-fucking-10).

Wouldn't go with alu piston head and cylinder head, especially on the stock gearbox shell. Plastic components will actually reduce the shock AND the piston slap, plus the stock compression parts (piston head, cylinder head, cylinder, nozzle) are really good and on mine they gave 101% airseal (I have swapped the cylinder for an unported one though to balance the volume ratio with a longer barrel and to actually make the gun louder).

A plastic piston rack could help in muffling the sound, but at the RPS provided by a 13:1 + SHS HT setup it'll get chewed to shit in no time, so a SHS 14T piston is mandatory (I've replaced mine as soon as I got the gun)..

As @Icenisaid, to make a quiet AEG build you need the right AEG to begin with :)

In the meantime, get a G&G MP5 drum mag to increase the gun's meme potential :D

Tbh I just want a *diffrent* sounding rif, there is alot of loud *clap* rif so I want something different sounding so a thud would be perfect, with a mpx I was looking at getting plastic piston head but can't find one in stock lol

31 minutes ago, slayerkitty said:

Tbh I just want a *diffrent* sounding rif, there is alot of loud *clap* rif so I want something different sounding so a thud would be perfect, with a mpx I was looking at getting plastic piston head but can't find one in stock lol

Just a couple remaining: 

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/pistons-heads/ra-piston-head-pom

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.