Serving Airsofters; Are We Annoying?

DRay

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you kidding me, i done 6 years in the cadets and that really prepared me for combat duty.

as long as the enemy are expecting very shiny boots and a well-tied Windsor knot.....

Don’t forget your hospital corners and trouser twists mate. Enemy hates them. 

• Supporters
Just now, RonLancs said:

Don’t forget your hospital corners and trouser twists mate. Enemy hates them. 

oh i got my mum to sew elastic in the bottom so i didn't have to mess around with trouser twists......

I found the Boys Brigade too demanding regards brasso, blanco and boot polish. 1 night at RAF cadets was enough for me. A lot of shouting and footstamping followed by an evening running around the delights of Rubery in the rain on a navigation exercise.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

oh i got my mum to sew elastic in the bottom so i didn't have to mess around with trouser twists......

Sounds like she’s the real operator here man. 👍🏻

• Supporters
2 hours ago, RonLancs said:

Sounds like she’s the real operator here man. 👍🏻

when i started airsofting i was using me old dpm stuff from cadets and got her to sew pouches for kneepads into the trousers.

it was surprising how many times i was asked what brand they were :P

9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

when i started airsofting i was using me old dpm stuff from cadets and got her to sew pouches for kneepads into the trousers.

it was surprising how many times i was asked what brand they were :P

“MAM Precision m888” 

My cadet experience was a little bit different. Some people would classify me as a good cadet, some would classify me as an absolute delinquent, depending on how much weight you put behind the dress-up aspect vs the "in the field" aspect.

I got away with my appearances being "good enough" (boots polished, but not a mirror. Flat collar and ironed kit, but I didn't have pronounced trouser creases. No hospital corners, but bed was neatly made etc.), because I was one of the most adept when it came to the practical side of things such as rifle marksmanship and fieldcraft, even better than pretty much all of the older, more senior cadets. I understood why they made us do it, but I also was far more interested in the practical stuff. I remember when I was on a cadet exchange to Australia, the adult who was with us, who wasn't part of my cadet unit, pulled me aside and berated me about my "good enough" gear, saying it could be better and I told him it's better to be effective in the field than in the wardrobe. After we went on our 3 day field exercise he didn't berate me about my gear once xD

Also, I got into airsoft at pretty much the same time as I got into cadets, so by my 2nd year when I had made friends with the more senior cadets and the staff, I was showing up to overnight exercises with some of my own kit; was so glad to swap out that PLCE webbing for my WAS chest rig :P

What cadets did show me was that the military was not for me as a full time endeavour; I think the life would grate against me if I had to do it all the time. Loved cadets, but I know I couldn't do that full time, especially not if I can't get away with my kit being "good enough"!

• Supporters

I'd have to say the impression cadets gave you is the wrong one overall.  Some parts of the army are somewhat strict on polishing and ironing but I've not had my uniform inspected for a regular day in work in over a decade.  I'm trusted to be a grown adult and just keep myself clean and tidy to a common sense level that is sustainable for an entire career, ranks above me care much more about whether I do my job well, security, general behaviour; same applies for most people who are in.

Since you don't actually produce work with operational output as a cadet they have to fill your time with drill and training, in regular service it's basically the total opposite for the majority of people.

3 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

I'd have to say the impression cadets gave you is the wrong one overall.  Some parts of the army are somewhat strict on polishing and ironing but I've not had my uniform inspected for a regular day in work in over a decade.  I'm trusted to be a grown adult and just keep myself clean and tidy to a common sense level that is sustainable for an entire career, ranks above me care much more about whether I do my job well, security, general behaviour; same applies for most people who are in.

Since you don't actually produce work with operational output as a cadet they have to fill your time with drill and training, in regular service it's basically the total opposite for the majority of people.

Aye, as long as you can do your job, remember to read the timings sheet and don’t skip CDT’s you’re all good haha. 

I was in the Boy Scouts but I hazard to guess the life skills which I learned during my time as a member certainly did not help me whatsoever for airsofting... I mean you don't see many little old ladies with their shopping bags that need a hand to cross the game arena now do you?   🤔

In my short time playing, I’ve only ever played, knowingly anyway, with one serving member of the forces. 

I happened to be attending a game on my own for once, and he was alone too, so we ended up playing together for the session and I have to say, it was one of the best afternoon plays I’ve had.

Fundamentally it was different to how I normally play, and basically pushed me outside my normal “I’m a pussy” comfort zone. I was far more aggressive than normal, egged on by the novelty of his training and little nuances. Taught me a lot; nothing tactical or anything like that, but more about grabbing the bull by the horns and not being such a wet flannel. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.