Worth Shimming Out of the Box?

Zitch

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

New here and just researching until I’m in a position to buy my first RIF

Im doing what I probably shouldn’t and window shopping! Really like the look of the G&G CM16 predator. Whether I do end up with this yet I don’t know, will see how I get on with rentals to begin with. 

Anyway my question is, would you recommend upgrading gears and shimming straight out of the box? Or wait until failure or mainly weapon dependant? 

cheers! 

26 minutes ago, Zitch said:

Hi all,

New here and just researching until I’m in a position to buy my first RIF

Im doing what I probably shouldn’t and window shopping! Really like the look of the G&G CM16 predator. Whether I do end up with this yet I don’t know, will see how I get on with rentals to begin with. 

Anyway my question is, would you recommend upgrading gears and shimming straight out of the box? Or wait until failure or mainly weapon dependant? 

cheers! 

In my opinion why would you want to take a brand new gun apart and put new gears and shims in it. It's like me buying a brand new chop saw and taking it apart to change motor or bearings.i wouldn't do it.if it works and cuts wood then its fit for purpose. If after using and it breaks it goes back and gets repaired.

But you can do what you want to it,its up to you. Just dont void warranty. 

👍🎅

Regards 

2 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

On your first RIF? good god no! leave it the fuck alone until it breaks.

When you've got several guns -  where you've even got a backup for your backup blaster, then sure, take your gun to bits and do whatever you want - because if you fuck up (and you will to start with) you can still go out and play.

But if you only have one gun, and you are not experienced in teching AEGs in any way, leave it alone or pay a respected tech to do the work for you.

sound advice, thank you very much. :) 

I have read and watched quite a few strip downs etc and I am an engineer by trade so confident I could carry out upgrades, I am just wary of the wear on plastic parts etc so wondered if upgrading (with the right skill set) would save a potential failure in the field. Are they fairly robust out of the box? 

3 minutes ago, Zitch said:

sound advice, thank you very much. :) 

I have read and watched quite a few strip downs etc and I am an engineer by trade so confident I could carry out upgrades, I am just wary of the wear on plastic parts etc so wondered if upgrading (with the right skill set) would save a potential failure in the field. Are they fairly robust out of the 

Go for a gat from a well known manufacturer an it will be fine.

If you get one that's.free with two bottles of blaster bb's then expect problems.

🙂🎅

Regards 

4 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Go for a gat from a well known manufacturer an it will be fine.

If you get one that's.free with two bottles of blaster bb's then expect problems.

🙂🎅

Regards 

will do, thanks. I won’t be buying until well into the new year just can’t wait! Already making wish lists as long as my arm! 

24 minutes ago, Zitch said:

I have read and watched quite a few strip downs etc and I am an engineer by trade so confident I could carry out upgrades, I am just wary of the wear on plastic parts etc so wondered if upgrading (with the right skill set) would save a potential failure in the field. Are they fairly robust out of the box? 

G&G Combat Machines get used as rental guns on some sites, so they are fairly reliable. You are more likely to cause a failure after 'upgrading', especially if you try to do it yourself.

Think of them as a Ford Fiesta. Functional, gets you from point A to B relatively efficiently for thousands of miles. But take a bog standard Fiesta, drop in a monster turbo with no other modifications whatsoever, and watch it go bang very quickly as you rag it around.

Airsoft guns are the same, you need to take a balanced approach to upgrading. Want to upgrade the gearing? Well, you also need to consider battery and motor options. Can the Piston take the additional stress? How's the Angle of Engagement on the sector gear? Are the bushings robust enough (Combat Machines use sintered bushings which aren't great). Is the gearbox properly radiused? These are all variables that need to be considered. Best saved for your second or third gun.

Buy a good starter gun, Combat Machines are fine but there are other comparable options, and use it for a good few skirmishes. Start then to think about what would improve your airsoft experience with the gun. Quite often, it's a case of consigning your first gun to backup status as when you total up the upgrades it's cheaper to just buy a better gun.

I've had my hands on a mates GC Predator and also my own CM16 SRS. Out of the box they are absolutely fine for a first time RIF. Don't get me wrong, if you sit there with 0.01 shims and really take a day about it I'm sure you could do better but it's really not worth it.

Best and most worthwhile upgrades you can do out of the box are a Perun ETU++ and a ZCI stainless barrel.

6 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

G&G Combat Machines get used as rental guns on some sites, so they are fairly reliable. You are more likely to cause a failure after 'upgrading', especially if you try to do it yourself.

Think of them as a Ford Fiesta. Functional, gets you from point A to B relatively efficiently for thousands of miles. But take a bog standard Fiesta, drop in a monster turbo with no other modifications whatsoever, and watch it go bang very quickly as you rag it around.

Airsoft guns are the same, you need to take a balanced approach to upgrading. Want to upgrade the gearing? Well, you also need to consider battery and motor options. Can the Piston take the additional stress? How's the Angle of Engagement on the sector gear? Are the bushings robust enough (Combat Machines use sintered bushings which aren't great). Is the gearbox properly radiused? These are all variables that need to be considered. Best saved for your second or third gun.

Buy a good starter gun, Combat Machines are fine but there are other comparable options, and use it for a good few skirmishes. Start then to think about what would improve your airsoft experience with the gun. Quite often, it's a case of consigning your first gun to backup status as when you total up the upgrades it's cheaper to just buy a better gun.

Thank you, great advice and shall take it on board. Can’t wait to get out there and actually get started. I think I’m just jumping the gun with my impatience! Haha. 

1 minute ago, Steveocee said:

I've had my hands on a mates GC Predator and also my own CM16 SRS. Out of the box they are absolutely fine for a first time RIF. Don't get me wrong, if you sit there with 0.01 shims and really take a day about it I'm sure you could do better but it's really not worth it.

Best and most worthwhile upgrades you can do out of the box are a Perun ETU++ and a ZCI stainless barrel.

yea I had seen a few people recommend the ZCI. not entirely sure I will get the CM16 yet still loads of time to change my mind! It just fits in my current budget and I like the look of it. 

26 minutes ago, Zitch said:

will do, thanks. I won’t be buying until well into the new year just can’t wait! Already making wish lists as long as my arm! 

Haha. That list will end up much longer than your arm!

Regards 

8 minutes ago, Zitch said:

yea I had seen a few people recommend the ZCI. not entirely sure I will get the CM16 yet still loads of time to change my mind! It just fits in my current budget and I like the look of it. 

Barrel is a must, the G&G one is just aluminium trash but the green bucking is well worth keeping and reusing. The GC predators are worth getting as they are well finished, all metal and have the nicer orange ifrit motors. Ideal if you intend on keeping it an AEG.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

On your first RIF? good god no! leave it the fuck alone until it breaks.

When you've got several guns -  where you've even got a backup for your backup blaster, then sure, take your gun to bits and do whatever you want - because if you fuck up (and you will to start with) you can still go out and play.

But if you only have one gun, and you are not experienced in teching AEGs in any way, leave it alone or pay a respected tech to do the work for you.

^this, this, a thousand times this.

if you don't know what you're at it's going to be pretty much guaranteed that something is gonna go wrong and you'll be doing the walk of shame- ask me how i know.....

i'm not against learning teching btw, it's a skill i very much recommend people learn, but it's not something that should be learned on your first and only pew.

i'd reccommend you maybe look into picking up something cheap on the classifieds and using that to tinker with.

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

^this, this, a thousand times this.

if you don't know what you're at it's going to be pretty much guaranteed that something is gonna go wrong and you'll be doing the walk of shame- ask me how i know.....

i'm not against learning teching btw, it's a skill i very much recommend people learn, but it's not something that should be learned on your first and only pew.

i'd reccommend you maybe look into picking up something cheap on the classifieds and using that to tinker with.

That’s a very good idea, once I have my defence I shall pick up something cheap to tinker and learn with. :)

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, Zitch said:

That’s a very good idea, once I have my defence I shall pick up something cheap to tinker and learn with. :)

yeah just keep an eye on the classifieds, the good thing is because you're gonna tinker with it anyway you can just worry about buying based on external condition.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.