AEG spring lifespan

E21A
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Would it be normal/possible to a spring to gradually loose FPS (30-40) after around 50-60k shots? 

Trying to to track down the cause of an FPS drop and I’ve checked air seal in the gearbox components and swapped hop units/rubbers, but it’s still the same. 

• Supporters

Normal, probably not, possible, definitely. 

A new spring has to “settle” which usually loses 10-30fps depending on the make of the spring and the type of build it’s in.

• Supporters

An m100 only giving 295-300? Something not right there. My Modify M100 gave me 380 in mine.

Something else seems to be causing your issue also.

Depends on the spring M100 isn't a fixed number, there is no industry standard for airsoft. Some M100's are stronger than others. Different brands can be wildly different and you need to check the output numbers rather than assuming all are the same.

The modify spring @Prisce lists is a 340-370 fps spring.
rocket airsoft M100  330-340 fps
ZCI 315-330 fps

If you have a weaker M100 variant and a really short or long barrel then there can also be an output fps deviance as well.

As such if you, for instance, had the ZCI spring and a 200mm short barrel like the 7" wildhog then having a 15fps drop from the stated 315fps would not be abnormal.

Likewise, a really long barrel can have a similar effect. Especially if the barrel isn't a perfect internal finish as you will have more energy loss to the barrel for friction.

It's why when you buy springs you pay attention to make and power and check the output values. If it doesn't have the output values then you avoid it unless you can find some real-world data that gives you the approximate power.

Springs do lose power over time. It depends on the gearbox as to how fast this will happen, a pre-cock, or gearbox that overruns and leaves compression in the spring will lose power faster. Steel only has so much memory and every compression will add stress to the spring and weaken it. Tool/spring steel is the best for memory retention, Stainless is the worst and stainless springs should be avoided (it's too ductile to be a good spring material). As such in industry, they would make a note of the spring material. For airsoft, however, it's a crapshoot at best, and you can never guarantee the spring material.

Thanks for the input chaps, it is a short barrelled gun (200mm) 

Its a zci m100 so probably about right if I’ve read your comment properly @Iceni

Think i’ll get zci m110 and guarder m100 ordered, see how they go. 

• Mostly Retired Moderators

@ak2m4 has the Guarder SP100 for £9.50.

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/springs/guarder-sp100

I can't actually vouch if it's the best spring for the  money. All I know is that it's always given me 315-330 FPS, and it's quite resilient, still getting the same FPS readings two years on, give or take 5fps.

Springs are indeed one "problematic" area of airsoft.  So many different variances.  Guarder seem the best bunch.  I say seem as I've had a few odd-balls straight from the factory.  They are expensive though and the price is going to rise I was told by Guarder.  I'm in the process of trying to get some springs made here in the UK including a M105.  Lot of testing involved, different inner barrel length, cylinders etc. We shall see.

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

Springs are indeed one "problematic" area of airsoft.  So many different variances.  Guarder seem the best bunch.  I say seem as I've had a few odd-balls straight from the factory.  They are expensive though and the price is going to rise I was told by Guarder.  I'm in the process of trying to get some springs made here in the UK including a M105.  Lot of testing involved, different inner barrel length, cylinders etc. We shall see.

One of my clients makes nothing but springs if you need a contact, let me know.

The only time i have dropped 40/50 fps on a sorting is after leaving the spring fully precocked for 9 months calm back to a major drop in d

Fps. Other then that one it settles you will lose about 10-30 fpa guarder and prometheus have me the most do in fps once settled

Archived