9.6 nimh stick batteries

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I learned today on the Patrol Base website that the more expensive Cyma AKs come with 9.6 1200 mah batteries. These are an alternative to the 8.4 1600 mah stick batteries that normally used in cheaper AKs.

But when I google 9.6 batteries almost every thing that comes up is 1600 mah or higher. There are one or two 1400,1300, 1200 and even 800 mah ones but the are either nunchuk or four cells in two fused rows. I cannot find a single stick battery with less than 1600 mah. 

Is it still possible to get 1200 mah stick batteries? If not is it possible to have them made up by an electrical shop?

My question is specifically about 9.6 nimhs. I am already aware of the superior qualities of lipos, so don't want to get onto that.

I am too old to play a full days airsoft. Three hours from a battery does me fine..

• Supporters

You can make a NIMH battery to Any mah, I have had a 1200mah Nimh, way back when I first started. Maybe they are old school?

In the simplest terms:

The voltage (V) of a battery is how much power it can push out.

The Millamp Hour (mAh) is how much it can store. (Measured as Milliamps it can sustain in one hour)

Lithium Polymer (LiPo) have some advantages over Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH)

- They are smaller for the equivalent stored energy (volts and amperage)

- They can deliver their power at a higher rate. (More responsive motor function)

- They do not have charge memory. (You can charge them from any power level up to full without limiting their future potential.  NiMH should be fully discharged before charging to full otherwise their 'full' charge is reduced over time)

A few downsides of LiPo's:

- If they are discharged too low they can be damaged but this is easy to avoid

- A good LiPo charger is recommended and slightly more expensive.

- ...and of course if physically damaged they can burn... violently...

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

1600mAh is better than 1200mAh (Milliamps per hour)

Higher number means it will last longer.

Just get the highest mAh that will physically fit.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't need batteries that will last a long time. Three to four hours is the maximum time I play.

I have a 9.6 1600 mah battery in my M4. The same battery in stick form is too long for my AK.

1 hour ago, Prisce said:

You can make a NIMH battery to Any mah, I have had a 1200mah Nimh, way back when I first started. Maybe they are old school?

Thanks. So I could probably get an electrical shop to make me up a couple? Is that right?

1 hour ago, L3wisD said:

Yeah 1200mah used be known as Minis.

Don't worry about the lipo brigade @emilianoksa - I use 9.6v Nihms myself!

So I'm not alone.😁

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

In the simplest terms:

The voltage (V) of a battery is how much power it can push out.

The Millamp Hour (mAh) is how much it can store. (Measured as Milliamps it can sustain in one hour)

Lithium Polymer (LiPo) have some advantages over Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH)

- They are smaller for the equivalent stored energy (volts and amperage)

- They can deliver their power at a higher rate. (More responsive motor function)

- They do not have charge memory. (You can charge them from any power level up to full without limiting their future potential.  NiMH should be fully discharged before charging to full otherwise their 'full' charge is reduced over time)

A few downsides of LiPo's:

- If they are discharged too low they can be damaged but this is easy to avoid

- A good LiPo charger is recommended and slightly more expensive.

- ...and of course if physically damaged they can burn... violently...

Generally the positives far outweigh the negatives and alternatives...

Iam aware of most of that Ed.

But thank you for taking the trouble to post.

1 hour ago, Prisce said:

Yes. You can make them yourself as well.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Not trying to convince anyone either way. (I use both myself)

Just wanted to explain a bit for anyone who's lost where to start.

And I appreciate that.

Thanks again.

Do you think a 9.6 800 mAh would last three hours of semi only shooting? I rarely trigger spam and never shoot more than about 400 bbs during a skirmish. 

I've worked out that two rows of four AAA 1.2v 800 mAh soldered and wrapped would just about fit into the battery space of my AK.

Apparently there are AAA batteries that go to 1000 mAh, but I'm still trying to source some.

• Supporters

Just FYI, the nimh batteries that come with Cymas are utter bobbins. So whatever you do manage to find, buy more than one!

Do you know the physical dimensions of the space you have?

• Supporters

Have you tried looking by dimensions instead of capacity ? I’ve a couple of guns that are right barstool to fit batts in too , so I just find the voltage I want then check the batteries dimensions to see if it’ll fit the space , if it’s a low capacity then I just buy a couple at the same time .👍

Archived