Please spoon feed me !

Druid799
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just to throw in my 2 pence...

1 pence - The only time it really gets up my nose is when you have FAQ's which are readily available, assuming that said FAQ's are kept up to date anyway, and these FAQ's simply get skipped over and/or ignored entirely. There are some great pieces of information on builds and some extensive writes ups which have been kept up to date and others which are just as relevant today as they were when they were first composed but it's not uncommon for these to gather dust on the proverbial shelf.

2 pence - The other time would be when players post the question of "recommend me a gun..." and that is all they give you to work with, this is the one which gets me most. The sheer scale of options this question covers is borderline astounding, even ignoring manufacturers you still have a huge array of flavours available. If you're going to ask this question then at least include the basics such as a budget and any requirements/features you're looking for or even platforms you like the look of or which render you nauseous.

When it comes to the "spoon feeding" side of things I think it falls down to striking a balance. Everyone starts somewhere and on occasion it's hard to know where to even begin. Another key element is that reliance on Google does not guarantee answers as Google will automatically tailor any results to your country of origin. This is something which I've experienced over the last month or so while trying to hunt down Czech gear (as some of you know). Finally it's also worth remembering that people aren't taught to think for themselves anymore and this isn't something which only hinders younger generations, this is something which is becoming more and more common throughout all age groups but this is potentially another topic for elsewhere.

I feel the forum is a bit chaotic when it comes to sections like guns, gear and loadouts.. I'm pretty sure I did point it out in the feedback section (or was it in another forum? 😕)

three large sub forums all mixed together is only gonna cause double/triple/quad posts..

We live in a time where we can get anything we want the moment we think about it, I'm pretty sure most people don't even scroll past the first half of the first Google results page :P

it'd be nice to have a single thread about a specific gun or gear piece. Let's say a single thread with a pinned post that explains everything (kinda like a review) and then all the thoughts/videos below.

same for the most common pieces of gear.

this would prevent 10 threads on the same topic and a neater look of the whole section :P

also, holy cow some people need lessons in grammar! Commas and full stops are friends to work with, not foes to fight!

10 minutes ago, Skara said:

I feel the forum is a bit chaotic when it comes to sections like guns, gear and loadouts.. I'm pretty sure I did point it out in the feedback section (or was it in another forum? 😕)

three large sub forums all mixed together is only gonna cause double/triple/quad posts..

We live in a time where we can get anything we want the moment we think about it, I'm pretty sure most people don't even scroll past the first half of the first Google results page :P

it'd be nice to have a single thread about a specific gun or gear piece. Let's say a single thread with a pinned post that explains everything (kinda like a review) and then all the thoughts/videos below.

same for the most common pieces of gear.

this would prevent 10 threads on the same topic and a neater look of the whole section :P

also, holy cow some people need lessons in grammar! Commas and full stops are friends to work with, not foes to fight!

Why not have a crack at putting capital letters at the beginning of your sentences before moaning about the grammatical errors of others? Holy cow!

Just now, Spuggy1uk said:

Why not have a crack at putting capital letters at the beginning of your sentences before moaning about the grammatical errors of others? Holy cow!

I must admit, I was thinking this myself. Then again, I was also wondering who he had decided as having committed such monumental infractions that it warranted highlighting.

I agree with the idea posted by Skara in relation to unified threads relating to specific items but this would require significantly more time from the moderation team. There is also the question of at what point would you close a thread in relation to a specific product to prevent it becoming too bloated. The alternative scenario would be to remove any responses which fail to meet certain standards of useful information but again this requires heavy moderation and becomes subject to personal assessment of the value of information.

1 hour ago, Spuggy1uk said:

I am pretty sure a capital missing doesn't screw up the meaning of a sentence like forgetting to put commas and dots does. But still, me missing capitals is still butchering basic grammar, I blame the phone for that! :P

54 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

I must admit, I was thinking this myself. Then again, I was also wondering who he had decided as having committed such monumental infractions that it warranted highlighting.

I agree with the idea posted by Skara in relation to unified threads relating to specific items but this would require significantly more time from the moderation team. There is also the question of at what point would you close a thread in relation to a specific product to prevent it becoming too bloated. The alternative scenario would be to remove any responses which fail to meet certain standards of useful information but again this requires heavy moderation and becomes subject to personal assessment of the value of information.

It's not too hard to do imo.

It does require someone to go through all the messages and check if they have any actual info on the topic.

If talking about a plate carrier, I'd keep a message saying "this plate carrier is bad because the materials are cheap and the stitching is terrible, also the colours are completely off and it's not worth the money" and discard another saying "lmao tresh dont buy eet".

Errors are on purpose btw :P

We have specific sections on the Italian airsoft forum (which is dead thanks to FB, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here so much) and they do (did) work!

For gear related threads we have three main sections:

- A general subforum in which people could post threads asking for advice;

- A subforum devoted to proper reviews with pictures and videos along with written content;

- A subforum devoted to loadouts, with sections about impressions/inspired kits of each armed force (US, RU, Italian Armed Forces, German Army, British Army, PMCs, heck we even had a Taliban loadout thread at some point)

the Guns section was similar, we have specific subforums for ARs, G36s, AKs and all the quirky guns like P90s, AUGs and a section for homemade and custom guns.

it did work, although, as I said earlier in this post, it required more attention by admins/mods to make sure everything was in the right section and every post had proper information/questions..

Without digging too much into the threads, mods could start from this year's threads, dumping everything else into an "archive" subforum until someone with too much free time takes a look at it and sorts all the threads out in their respective sections :)

it would make things easier to find for new users (or people who can't bother with the search function).

Edit: F*ck me I forgot one thing.

I wouldn't close threads unless they get spammed with useless posts.. Or when the item is discontinued and all the information available has been given out.

• Supporters

my uncle Jack might disagree 😜

• Head Moderator
13 hours ago, Skara said:

It's not too hard to do imo.

It does require someone to go through all the messages and check if they have any actual info on the topic..

although...  it required more attention by admins/mods to make sure everything was in the right section and every post had proper information/questions..

Without digging too much into the threads, mods could start from this year's threads, dumping everything else into an "archive" subforum until someone with too much free time takes a look at it and sorts all the threads out in their respective sections :)

it would make things easier to find for new users (or people who can't bother with the search function).

There are only three Mods, we already move topics to relevant sections, and I have no intention of spending any more of my time editing topics just because someone cannot be bothered to search.  

Better titles for some topics would help, as would punctuation. 

I could remove any irrelevant information about guns, and only keep topics about TM because they are the best ;)

As it is so simple, feel free to create comprehensive and useful topics summarising all forum data.  

TL;DR

No.

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

There are only three Mods, we already move topics to relevant sections, and I have no intention of spending any more time editing topics just because someone cannot be bothered to search.  

just book it as overtime 😜

53 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

As it is so simple, feel free to create comprehensive and useful topics summarising all forum data

Might do at some point.

Archived