Why you don’t put silicone near a hop bucking

Wo1f
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I did this a little while ago now, but I thought I’d bring it to peoples attention. I while ago I bought a WE m14 Ebr (currently for sale) and it wasnt wanting to hop bb’s. Stripped it down and changed the hop rubber (modify tan) for a maple leaf one because it had a thin film of silicone oil on the surface, and the gun now shoots great. Anyway...

I bought a new modify tan bucking the other day, and they’re brilliant. Most precisely molded, well fitting bucking I’ve used. Went straight into my Mws chamber. Out of curiosity I tried to fit the one that had silicone oil on it, and it had swollen that badly that I couldn’t close the two chamber halves, and it had become much softer. 

So the next time someone tells you to clean your barrel with silicone oil, kindly punch them in the face. 

A0C70BC5-9D65-4B48-87D1-57710D431520.jpeg

• Supporters

an interesting effect from silicon, i know before i signed up here i was always under the impression it wasn't so bad as the oil on the nub would easily get worn off after the first few shots.

just goes to show we can all learn things.

Or, if you want to clean the barrel with silicone oil, disassemble it first 🤣

Isopropyl alcohol to clean barrels. Get it for £10 for a lab grade litre bottle. Evaporates in air.. Smells nice too. 

You’re right.. just checked my eBay. Paid £7.33 for the bottle and a spray cap delivered.. must have been the ptfe stuff I paid a tenner for. 

3 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

That's what he pays extra for, Chanel No5 Isopropyl :D

Sometimes that’s all I wear to a skirmish..

Archived