Jump to content
jmccoy

ICS Komodo issues (brand new one)

Recommended Posts

Hello,
I'm currently facing a couple of issues with my ICS MARS Komodo. Note that the gun is brand new. I haven't even used it in game yet. I just took a few shots inside my house.
 
Issue No.1: BBs rolling down the barrel.
With no hop dialed on, I fire a few rounds and everything is perfect. But when I stop shooting and tilt the gun down, a BB rolls down the barrel. After the BB rolls down I get a dry shot.
 
Issue No.2: Double feeding.
Everytime (and I mean, EVERYTIME) I fire a few rounds in single shot mode, then switch to safe mode, then switch back to single shot and pull the trigger, I get two BBs being shot at once.
 
I posted this on another forum and this guy thought it might be a faulty bucking so I exchanged for a new one but no luck. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the ICS spring release feature. When you switch to safe mode, the motor releases the spring tension automatically. It might be chambering a second BB. I've even recorded the mechanism functioning today. Take a look, please:
 
What I did in this video was:
1) one shot in single shot mode;
2) switched back to safe mode;
3) switched back to single shot and shot twice;
4) switched back to safe mode again.
 
Note that if I only shoot once, the nozzle stops half way. Now, if I switch back to safe mode after only one shot, the nozzle backs it up until the end and then all the way forward. If I shoot twice, the nozzle goes all the way back after the second shot (as opposed to stopping half way, as it happens when shooting only once). If I switch back to safe mode after shooting more than once, the nozzle only goes forward. I don't know if it's expected to act like this but it's what I'm getting. And from my newbie perspective, it seems that it's chambering a second BB by doing that.
 
It makes sense since if no hop is dialed on, the bb will roll down the barrel. If there's hop dialed on, it stays chambered and locked inside the bucking. Then, when I switch to safe mode (and the spring release mechanism is triggered) the nozzle goes back and chambers another BB.
 
Again, I'm only guessing here. I have almost zero mechanics knowledge. Does my theory make sense?
 
Thanks in advance,
Thiago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first problem is caused by having no hop dialed in. There's nothing to hold the BB in the hop between cycles so it just rolls out of the barrel.

The rest of it I'll have to think about!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understood that the bucking has feed lips just inside the opening which gently hold the BB in breach position.  Then when fired it goes past the hop.

 

I would suggest talking to the retailer about the problems to see what they say.  Might give you some bull like 'they all do that' but worth giving them a heads-up in case you ask for a replacement.

 

Have you searched if anyone else has mentioned similar problems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, it's new? And doesn't work properly and/or has problems, and you want to DIY it instead of returning it or getting the retailer to sort it?

 

My friend, if it's new don't spend time trying to sort it, get it back to the shop.

Though if you've changed the rubber they might not entertain it... Maybe don't tell them you changed the rubber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hangtight said:

The first problem is caused by having no hop dialed in. There's nothing to hold the BB in the hop between cycles so it just rolls out of the barrel.

The rest of it I'll have to think about!

Yeah, some people told me that. But I just wanted to make sure they were right. Thanks!

 

58 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I understood that the bucking has feed lips just inside the opening which gently hold the BB in breach position.  Then when fired it goes past the hop.

 

I would suggest talking to the retailer about the problems to see what they say.  Might give you some bull like 'they all do that' but worth giving them a heads-up in case you ask for a replacement.

 

Have you searched if anyone else has mentioned similar problems?

Unfortunately, I don't have that option. I purchased it from an importer and I know I'll have a major headache if I try to return it or something like that. I've searched everywhere on the web for someone mentioning similar problems but no luck. I guess since this AEG is relatively new in the market, not many people have it yet. My hope is that someone may be familiar with ICS' split gearbox and its issues.

 

57 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

So, it's new? And doesn't work properly and/or has problems, and you want to DIY it instead of returning it or getting the retailer to sort it?

 

My friend, if it's new don't spend time trying to sort it, get it back to the shop.

Though if you've changed the rubber they might not entertain it... Maybe don't tell them you changed the rubber.

Yeah, unfortunately it's my best option right now. I hope it's a minor issue otherwise I'm pretty screwed. But thanks for your input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bb rolling through with no hop is normal. 

 

The double fire is an issue with the spring release. Its a simple fix that involves disabling the auto release when putting the gun into safe. Unfortunately I don't think that there is a video showing how to do this and with your level of expertise I wouldn't recommend attempting it without a guide. Best option is to send it to a UK dealer like Firesupport and pay them to do it for you. Seriously doubt the retailer will do much for you as it's not a fault as such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read about this problem on my ICS CXP-UK1.

Something to do with the motor spinning too far on semi auto mode when running a UK spec lesser fps spring and partially rechambering a BB (with the spring release function completing the rechambering). Then when you fire it loads a second BB.

That's why they downgrade the motor and spring on the officially imported UK1s and disable the spring release.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, crandem said:

 

Did you solve this?

 

I have the same problem and i cant figure it out.

 

Actually, no. I did contact an ICS technician about it and this is what he said:
"Regarding the issue.1, could it be solved by adjusting the hop-up? For issue.2, the problem may occur due to the spring release function. ICS AR has the spring release function when switching the fire selector to safety, sometimes a second BB could be fed into the hop up chamber when the spring is released. So when you shoot again, a double shot may happen. Therefore, we suggest firing two to three shots in semi whenever you want to turn the fire selector to safety".

 

Honestly, I gave up since it seems that every MARS owner out there is facing this issue (I'm thinking it's not an issue rather than a quality of these rifles). So if I were you, I wouldn't mind much.

Hope this was helpful.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What FPS do you get? I have a UK version Komodo and as far as I am aware I do not have the double BB problem but I am also sure that my gun does not have the spring release function (or it has never needed it). If I fire a single shot the bolt returns as it should without fail, in semi the bolt window stays open very slightly about 10mm even if I switch to safe, it will only close fully if I fire a single semi shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as all mentioned above about other ICS AEGS, Spring release function i believe,  is now removed due to this reason, ive got a few ICS AEGS and they have the release function as it was 'the thing' when released, they occasionally use to load 2 bbs but seems to have stopped now...or i dont notice as much. They do have it within some ICS descriptions :)

 

had the same issue with hop when i first got it as i wasnt 100% sure until explained to me, but it was all new to me and everyday is a school day

 copy / paste!

  • ICS Gun Information
  • All ICS Guns (except M1 Garand) are downgraded in the ICS factory to UK legal specifications
  • This means that the guns will chrono between 290 and 350 fps on a .2g BB dependant on barrel length and gun model.
  • ICS install a M100 spring instead of the M120 and with Infinite 2500 motor instead of Turbo 3000 motor.
  • The reason for the spring change is to get the velocity below the UK legal limit
  • The reason for the motor change is to minimise motor over spin that courses 2 bbs being fired from 1 pull of the trigger on sub 400 fps rifles.
  • On all ICS EBB guns the decocking function (what happens when the fire selector is moved to Safe) has been removed by the factory.
  • The reason for the removal of the decocking feature is that under some circumstances after moving from safe to single shot the action can load an extra bb into the hop unit resulting in a double shot or damage to the rifle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, djben9 said:

as all mentioned above about other ICS AEGS, Spring release function i believe,  is now removed due to this reason, ive got a few ICS AEGS and they have the release function as it was 'the thing' when released, they occasionally use to load 2 bbs but seems to have stopped now...or i dont notice as much. They do have it within some ICS descriptions :)

 

had the same issue with hop when i first got it as i wasnt 100% sure until explained to me, but it was all new to me and everyday is a school day

 copy / paste!

  • ICS Gun Information
  • All ICS Guns (except M1 Garand) are downgraded in the ICS factory to UK legal specifications
  • This means that the guns will chrono between 290 and 350 fps on a .2g BB dependant on barrel length and gun model.
  • ICS install a M100 spring instead of the M120 and with Infinite 2500 motor instead of Turbo 3000 motor.
  • The reason for the spring change is to get the velocity below the UK legal limit
  • The reason for the motor change is to minimise motor over spin that courses 2 bbs being fired from 1 pull of the trigger on sub 400 fps rifles.
  • On all ICS EBB guns the decocking function (what happens when the fire selector is moved to Safe) has been removed by the factory.
  • The reason for the removal of the decocking feature is that under some circumstances after moving from safe to single shot the action can load an extra bb into the hop unit resulting in a double shot or damage to the rifle.

 

Wow. I didn't know that ICS was deactivating the decocking feature nowadays. Now this makes me worry. A lot.

What kind of damage could this cause to the gun? Maybe a ripped bucking or a scratched inner barrel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if its ICS or FS doing it, tbh but i know FS were not keen on the idea due to the problems it causes and a few customers complianing

 

I wouldn't have thought it would cause to much damage, mines 3 years old and still going fine and its not deactivated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the information.

My Komodo Chrono's at about 265 with .2g so to bring it up can I just change the spring to a 120 or do I need to change the motor? Could it handle a 11.1 Lipo or is that for the Turbo 3000 motor?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just swap spring, it has quickish change system

 

mine ICS's's's's run on 7.4 lipos, the DMR, which i change upper gearbox depending on site (so 390ish and 430ish) has a 11.1 lipo but no motor change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...