servicing airsoft guns?

mimozine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

im definately not confident enough to crack open a gearbox, maybe ill buy a cheap second gun i dont care about sometime and mess about but dont wanna mess with guns i like.

anyway so on an aeg where should i be spraying with silicone oil? and how often?

Disagree I say crack it open and learn how it works. Nothing in an aeg is complicated its 90% common sense.

If you want to learn how it works I'd educate yourself on it some other way than opening your own gearbox that you know nothing about (this is a metaphorical 'you' btw, not YOU ITH ;) )

Watch a YouTube video first, or watch a gun tech do it to your gun before bits of your gearbox ping around the room and it becomes an expensive fix.

• Supporters

Disagree I say crack it open and learn how it works. Nothing in an aeg is complicated its 90% common sense.

First hand knowledge is THE only real way to learn this stuff, but I would agree that doing it on your ONLY gun will almost certainly lead to an inexplicable failure. Such is the Law of Sod.

• Supporters

But only through failure do we really learn.

Indeed, but that failure will always happen the night before game day. Murphy's Second Law see, if multiple things can go wrong the worst one will always happen first.

• Supporters

Indeed, but that failure will always happen the night before game day. Murphy's Second Law see, if multiple things can go wrong the worst one will always happen first.

Been there was sat in my hotel room in February after the private game and changing my bucking and adjusting the gearbox alignment when I broke a connection. Soldering at 1.30 in the morning hoping not to set off the fire alarms.

Always be prepared with spares and tools is the lesson learnt.

• Supporters

Use it as is......

it will very likely break or fail to operate smoothly at some point....

THEN have a go - nowt to lose so to speak

If it still goes pear shape - at least you tried so can buy new box/send to tech/buy new gun

If ya really suck at maintaining/service/repair of stuff, then maybe spend time doing overtime instead

but really should have a go yourself, on cheaper stuff and learn as you go

for what its worth - think I'm still learning something different on each gun I fix/break/fix/break....

• Supporters

honestly an AEG gearbox is really simple. REALLY simple. It's 3 cogs, a catch to stop it all going backwards and a motor.

True, but when someone with little or no mechanical aptitude decides to DIY a high speed setup it usually all goes horribly wrong!

The basic mechanics are simple but getting the timing right (and let's face it, remembering to put all the right bits back in the right place) is the trick to a working gearbox and one that works WELL.

• Supporters

True, but when someone with little or no mechanical aptitude decides to DIY a high speed setup it usually all goes horribly wrong!

The basic mechanics are simple but getting the timing right (and let's face it, remembering to put all the right bits back in the right place) is the trick to a working gearbox and one that works WELL.

if people can't disassemble something with at most 20 parts... then reassemble it correctly then really the gene pool could do without :)

• Supporters

if people can't disassemble something with at most 20 parts... then reassemble it correctly then really the gene pool could do without :)

Totally, but let's not forget that there's people that can't boil an egg without burning down their kitchen!

• Head Moderator

Totally, but let's not forget that there's people that can't boil an egg without burning down their kitchen!

That is what staff are for; the same with getting a tech to do all the skilled work :lol:

If you're slightly mechanically minded, then crack it open yourself with a YouTube guide.

If you're the sort of person to whom anything technical appears to run by witchcraft, then pay someone else to do it.

The amount of times I've pulled something apart only for someone to ask me if I know how it works, then I've responded with "not yet..." some people can, some people can't...

Archived