National airsoft event

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all just thought id post up asking whos going to the national airsoft event at the end of August not been for 2 years now and really looking forward to it any takers?

Thanks

• Supporters

im going with quite a few others from the Gaol, i think theres about 8 of us going if not more.

I'm going with some old friends, we went last year and had a blast.

Definitely worth going to, even just once.

Nice one i just need to sort a lift out as the lad i was supposed to go probably wont be going due to money issues.

So if anyone has a spare place in their car and dont mind me hopping in and getting a lift back that would be great i will pay petrol money and supply beers.im from leicester by the way 5 mins from the m1 cheers

I want to go but I can't find out any real details about the itinerary. I need to book into a hotel for the events length and I don't know if I should be getting their for Friday morning or more like Friday evening (the first signs of any life being a night game). I did ask the question to the organisers but they have been kind enough not to respond at all.

Hi bright candle what do you need to know and i will help you out? You can get their any time friday from 11 am and leave as late as many nday morning if you like (bank holiday) games start saturday morning finish at 5:30 ish then theirs a few night games on from 8-midnight then sunday morning the same as saturday cheers

Hi bright candle what do you need to know and i will help you out? You can get their any time friday from 11 am and leave as late as many nday morning if you like (bank holiday) games start saturday morning finish at 5:30 ish then theirs a few night games on from 8-midnight then sunday morning the same as saturday cheers

Its just "festival" like activities on the Friday? If I turn up at 11am on Friday what am I going to be doing on that day? Just vendor stalls or is their organised activities?

I think the answer is no one in the community knows and the organisers aren't telling anyone. An event like this ought to have a complete breakdown of when events start and end and the times for the site.

Can you imagine trying to run Okto without telling people when they could arrive and set up camp and when they must leave by and what time the games run? It makes no sense why they would try and organise an event this big without this. It looks like its incredibly poorly organised at this point and that is not a good sign at all.

Being the pedant that I am, I am worried that such a big event makes no mention of either insurance or medical provisions on site...

As BrightCandle has stated, there are no mention of event timings - if I did bring my caravan (I am too old to 'slum it' anymore) I would have to drive down from Doncaster, a drive of 4 hours (at least)... with no access to the site before Friday morning I wouldn't be able to travel down the night before - if there is a game on Friday I would miss most of it.

There is also no mention of what time you have to leave as well - I wouldn't fancy playing all day Sunday only to think of a 4 hour drive back home...

Ive never been so can't criticise although what Ive heard from others has put me off ever considering it because I know what I like.

In response to your question, I suspect its because they can.

I believe its a huge event in terms of numbers so if people pay and rock up each year, theres not much incentive to spend time and effort organising lots of detail for them in the way you describe.

Its not my way personally and I have to look myself in the mirror each day, so we do it differently with milsims because that's our way.

I know Rob has been who played in the MDF last op and he enjoyed it, although more for the social side I believe than the quality of the game.

I think the answer is no one in the community knows and the organisers aren't telling anyone. An event like this ought to have a complete breakdown of when events start and end and the times for the site.

Can you imagine trying to run Okto without telling people when they could arrive and set up camp and when they must leave by and what time the games run? It makes no sense why they would try and organise an event this big without this. It looks like its incredibly poorly organised at this point and that is not a good sign at all.

• Supporters

They don't publish much because there is very little to publish. Most of it is exactly the same as it has always been. I've been twice and it went as follows:

Arrive Friday as early as possible ( both times by about 2pm) keep in mind its Friday of the bank holiday and they are based close to the south coast so expect to be in traffic from halfway down the M3 if coming from the M25. The closer you are to the shop/arena entrance the louder it will be, expect some pumping music, war films on big plasmas and projectors competing with pissed up players and bonfires. Further back its more relaxed, no loud music just smaller social gatherings.

There is a Friday night game, that I have never bothered to play, starts about 8ish I guess and I can't remember if it might have been a single shot/pistols/shotties only affair. Mostly its only some of the diehard players and kids with energy to burn who play. We are normally getting stuck into the second half of a crate or beer by then, and the spirits flow by about 9.

Zero one empty their entire warehouse (and they are one of the largest retailers in the uk so it's a lot of stuff) into a marquee, we tend to have a brief bimble around it on the Friday when we go up for wrist bands, don't forget your traveling beers for that one as its a bit of a trek from where we try to camp. There will be loads of guys selling second hand kit along the main paths and tracks. G&G I think it is have a stand as well and there is a bar and stage. Never seen a single "act" on it though.

You get given a pack containing a poor quality map of the site, it marks the main structures and tracks, the dead zones. But for anyone used to serious navigating it's almost as useless as something someone draws from memory (I got a copy of a map Ian_Gere made which is much better in my mind). An outline of the following two days, each team Delta, Bravo and others gets their own set, which should mean you have some objectives in common. So far both years one teams have been given to another team by mistake. Rules etc.

We tend to give up following the plan fairly soon and try to put a spanner in the works for Bravo and The others. Both last year and the year before we had the impression that the others and bravo had a sort of truce of sorts and were ignoring each other to hit us repeatedly. But who knows we knew we were the largest single team.

Game on is about 10:30 both days. On the first day they run 2 briefings one at 9:30 I think for people that are on time, and 10 for the second batch that miss the briefing. Then its a long trek up to your base.

4:30 to 5 ish is a massive assault on the central village, a 3 way blat fest between about 1500 players. (my advice is full face, helmet, plate carrier and some big balls if you are going to give this a serious go) worth doing once, and I would recommend doing it on Saturday.

Sunday as soon as the game ends its a race to get off site. We tend to pack up camp before we head out to play starting a little later than we are supposed to. Then play till we get bored or tired then hit the cars by about 4 ish.

They don't publish much because there is very little to publish. Most of it is exactly the same as it has always been.

It's good to know it is the same as it has always been... sadly, I have never been so don't have a clue about what to expect or timings of things, so even though seasoned regulars may know what to expect new plays will not.

Thanks for your info though - that certainly helps a huge amount - not sure about the leaving after the game finishes on Sunday though... long drive home following a day running around...

It's good to know it is the same as it has always been... sadly, I have never been so don't have a clue about what to expect or timings of things, so even though seasoned regulars may know what to expect new plays will not.

Thanks for your info though - that certainly helps a huge amount - not sure about the leaving after the game finishes on Sunday though... long drive home following a day running around...

Maybe spend sunday night in a cheap hotel to rest and then head out on monday?

Maybe spend sunday night in a cheap hotel to rest and then head out on monday?

Would drag the caravan down, so ideally would be wanting to stay on the site Sunday night...

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.