New to air soft, ICS L85 advice?

yeti

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys i'm new to air soft, i have just bought a new ics l85 and i'm wanting to make it as awesome as possible i have seen bullet for my enemy's gun and it looks sick!! i know ics are not the best for upgrades, what is everyone's opinion on what upgrades i should do?

Thanks in advance :D

• Supporters

leave it alone - one of the best models should not be tinkered with unless it really is playing up

and if so it should go to fire support or where you bought it from if new

cheaper guns - by all means have a go, but something like that should not need tinkering with so resist the urge

(says the guy who who is a true expert in breaking guns - even me looking at them causes them to malfunction)

So are you looking for internal upgrades, or just external parts like the rail system, since you mentioned AirsoftEd's gun?

As Duck said I think I'd just leave it because performance should be good already, if not fix whatever is wrong then when it happens.

Never do any internal work before myself, even though I wouldn't really consider myself a noob I have been really bad at looking after mine - reluctant to do it thinking I would break them.

If you really wanted to improve it, would send it to local tech / retailer to do the work. Would say get a TBB, new hop up and bucking. Madbull 6.03 TBB 509mm could be bought for around £33, hop up for example a ProWin but I'm not sure which type the L85 takes...make £20 depending on if you want it from a UK or Asia store.

There are loads of brands of hop up buckings but Tokyo Marui, G&G, Lonex or a 'Prommy Purple' (http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/prometheus-air-seal-chamber-hop-up-packing-soft-type.html#.VWsC6M9VhBd) are all good.

External upgrades for an Afghan-spec A2 would be the Daniel Defense RIS ~ £100 for a Madbull version or can probably even get a real steel one for that, seen em go for less in fact.

A Grip-Pod, airsoft clones are about £10.

Magpul style rail ladder covers, again about £10.

4x32 Trijicon ACOG (not sure of the exact model) anywhere from £40, and a Docter RDS / Elcan Specter DR. You also need a specific riser for the former, but I don't know the name of it.

LLM-01 Replica

'Vortex' Flash Hider?

E-MAGs

I think G&G and ICS both sell Picatinny rails for the L85A2 as well to replace the standard Dovetail one.

cheers for the fast reply, yea gearbox i wasint going to touch as from what if heard and read they are rely good out of the box, i was just thinking better range and accuracy so a tight bore seems the way forward madbull 6.03 any good? and as for externals im not sure what spec set up im going for yet :)

Hi mate, a good place for advice is a facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SA80OwnersClub/

Also are you going for the externals or just internals? I sent mine to Phil Bromley an airsoft tech and he has made mine so it out ranges my upgraded TM recoil! I think mine has a new piston, barrel, motor, gears and hop-up, I wouldnt advise changing gear-box internals unless they are old/ broken, i wasnt bothered but i wanted to be able to use an 11.1v lipo! Also you can get a lot of external afgan looking parts (rail system, adapter and mags) on the cheap from Hong Kong at a really good quality and price! Take a look at RSOV for externals: http://www.rsov.com/index.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=10 They stock a really good hornbill RIS rail for the L85, the adapter just needs a bit of filing to get it to fit the rail nicely!

• Supporters

madbull have got mixed reviews.....

from my noobish understanding they have had some not so good batches and many think they aren't as good as they were

Good praise - not just on here but google around ZCI barrels - these are regarded as best budget barrels around

£20 aprox - check out AK2M4 - a member on here or at his site as he got a delivery of these and they sell quickly

Often they hold up quite well against much much more expensive barrels

If you go over to Zero One you will get only a few options but on here we can speak and recommend any make/retailer

Personally keep barrel clean and perhaps try 0.25's - often this is a good improvement to maintain accuracy a bit better than lighter 0.20's

(not all stock guns can lift 0.30's or 0.28's but you should see a bit of improvement by trying some decent 0.25's)

• Supporters

Sitting Duck is right about the barrels the madbull ones are not very good ZCI is ok for a cheaper barrel. Only internal upgrade you really need is to replace the hop bucking, Ics bucking is crap try a tm bucking for a good cheap one or a prommy purple if you you dont mind paying extra.

• Supporters

I briefly tried a madbull 510mm in my AK12 project and it kept jamming or clogging

I put in a TomTac one which I recently found out is a 455mm ZCI one just with TomTac stamped on it next to the ZCI markings

straight away shots were flying out lovely n straight - same bucking same hop

so unless I did a really bad install on the madbull - slightly possible perhaps

I wasn't that impressed with madbull when I gave it a quick whirl

(think that was why the owner on fleabay flogged it - coz it ain't all that I feel)

you guys are awesome, this is exactly what im looking for, a forum that is friendly and helpful :D but yea hop rubber inner barrel and iv heard hop nub too?

yea iv just been accepted to the sa80 group on face book too, so what load outs do you guys run?

My mate beastmode wears dpm trousers & shirt with mtp chest rig & bump helmet, he's gone with afgan style sa80 but says he's swapping over to mtp trousers & shirt to match everything else

Welcome Yeti. I'm in the sa80 owners club as well. I have the g&g l85. Just ordered my mtp shirt, trousers and ubacs this evening so going with the current British forces look. In terms of upgrades I'd leave it as it is but recommend getting a Daniel defence rail and acog with riser for it. Maybe get a tight bore. The magic box miracle barrels are pretty good. Prefer them to madbull.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.