Buying my first gun(s)

--------------------

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

There are lots of Airsoft online shops selling G&G rifles. Sometimes its good to buy locally for a few quid extra as you can go back to them if there are any problems. Pistols are of questionable use in a game but if you just want one, then have a look at the WE range or the TOKYO MARUI, the latter being better, dearer but plastic.

Good choice for a first gun. You might have already seen how much we recommend them. But yeah G&Gs are great for the money.

As Baz said, loads of places that sell them so take your pick really. Zero One would probably be my go-to recommendation but I wouldn't use their two-tone service (It's free, but shite apparently, which would explain why)

On the other hand you do get a free skirmish voucher when you buy from them which I think is great - it's like £20-£25 off that you're saving.

Wouldn't say you really need a pistol straight away, only just bought one myself after technically being an airsofter for like...3 years (I say technically because I haven't been to a proper woodland skirmish in a really long time)

Think about which pistols you like and try to get a feel for em (e.g. ask to handle one at next skirmish or local airsoft store)

Then make sure you're happy with the manufacturer. For example WE 1911s / Hi-Capas are the worst you can buy, The XDM is known to have lots of problems etc (Gen 4 Glocks are good) Whereas on the other hand. the TM versions are awesome.

• Supporters

I just want to point out that there are many other guns than AR-15 variants and, as much as you may see yourself with nothing else, before you buy you should at least have a feel of a few different assault rifles and an SMG or two. To see how the layout of the controls suit you and what it's like to reload I would suggest trying any old M4, or indeed the CM18 MOD1, an AK-47 or 74, a G36C or better a KV, an MP5 SD5/6 if poss or A4 for the classic style, an MP7, and a bullpup - an L85A2, FAMAS, TAR-21, or Chinese Type 97.

There are loads of things which will prove more useful for skirmishing than a pistol. Spare mags, something to carry them in, spare battery, kneepads, better boots &/or socks, alternative eyepro, gloves, BFG and pouch / pouch for MK5 pyros...

Try airsoftzone.co.uk (where I got mine from when I started out)

£180 for a starter pack, BB's, battery, mask etc included and its already 2 toned

I love my M4's and G36C, so much more you can with an M4, my sons is a fire support type weapon with a box magazine aswell, I went with a CYMA glock 18c and did the battery conversion

Good choice. As with everyone else, I too will say that a G&G M4 is a great choice for a first main weapon, being inexpensive, reliable, and with plentiful spares and accessories available for it. Yes they are what a lot of people use and so it is sometimes called a 'boring' choice, but that's a good thing when you are starting out, because it means if you have any issues, help is readily at hand from the many people who have them. I in fact used my G&G M4 last Saturday at a skirmish when the stock decided to come loose on my DBoys M4 and I didn't have a long enough screwdriver with me to tighten it up, so in the boot of my car it went, and out came the G&G M4, and I got plenty of kills with it too, using only the open sights, including one shot which was unbelievably long ranged and which went through the tiniest gap imaginable too, so I can't fault the G&G accuracy or its range, although I would recommend using .25 gram BBs with it rather than the .20g which many people use, as it seemed to do better with those.

Pretty much everyone on this forum has either got at least one G&G M4 of some sort in their collection, or has had one, and it is likely that people at your skirmish site will have them too, so if you get issues with it on the day, help and advice will be readily forthcoming. For example, if your mag broke during a game, I'll bet you any money that someone would have a spare M4 mag they'd lend you on the spot (I in fact did this last Saturday when someone had that very issue and borrowed one of my reload mags). You won't go wrong with a G&G M4, and the nice thing is that most airsoft shops know this, so they often have them as part of a 'starter pack' where you get a few other bits and bobs thrown in with the weapon. Considering the fact that they are not too pricey, I'd think about getting maybe a spare high capacity mag for the thing too, because if you have two 300 round mags and stay on semi-auto, there's little chance of you running out of ammo at an awkward time.

Where pistols are concerned, I'm going to disagree with people and say that it is kind of fun to have a pistol, and is a useful back up for when you awkwardly run out of ammo or get a feed jam. You don't have to spend a lot if all it is for is back up purposes, i.e. even a cheap springer pistol will do for that, and it does at least make you feel a bit more 'tooled up' which let's face it, is part of the fun. If you do get a cheapo pistol, then it will at least mean you will find out how useful or not useful it is to you, because a lot of that will depend on your playing style, but in not spending a lot of money, it will allow you to find that out without making an expensive mistake. If you find you like having a pistol, then you could perhaps spend a bit more on a fancier affair at a later time. So, here's my suggestion...

If you do a search on Google for the Galaxy G15 airsoft pistol, you will find these can be had for about 15 quid from various BB gun sites. That's a full metal bodied Glock 17 replica which holds eleven rounds and shoots at around 250 fps. It isn't semi-automatic, which means you have to cock the slide for each shot, but I can assure you that, whilst not ideal for rapid shooting, is still very usable in skirmishing, since you tend to be up real close and popping out of cover to take single shots anyway when it comes to 'pistol time'. I can tell you that last Saturday, I got four kills with that exact same G15 pistol, so don't let anyone tell you that a springer pistol is no use at skirmishes, because there were four people at that skirmish who would not agree lol. It is extremely accurate too, although to be honest, at the kind of ranges a pistol fight starts at, pinpoint accuracy is not really that important, after all, if you can't hit someone 15 feet away with a pistol by just aiming in their general direction, then it's not the accuracy of the pistol you need to be worrying about lol. I've got expensive fancy pistols, including a gas blowback Colt 1911, a gas Walther PPK and an electric blowback Glock 18 and others, but I've not had as many kills with them as I have with my trusty cheap ass Galaxy G15, so I always take it to skirmishes and only occasionally take the other fancier ones, especially at this time of year, when in these temperatures gas blowback guns are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, whereas that G15 is so simple and basic, there's literally no chance of it letting me down when it matters, which is more than can be said for a lot of other more expensive pistols which I have.

But if you do get a pistol, then make sure you have a good secure holster for it, preferably one with a retaining strap and which can be attached somewhere on you where it won't flap about and can easily be drawn when you have gloves on, such as on you lower left front.

So, with an M4 and a spare mag or two, plus a pistol and some other bits you might want to carry, you'll be needing a suitable rig to put all that crap in, and having just bought a rifle and a pistol, you might be a bit strapped for cash, so, here's another inexpensive but excellent suggestion:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0041300WK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I've got one of those and it is really good, in fact unbelievably good for the price. It comes with a good holster (which you can detach and which fits Glock type pistols like a glove) and which has room for a spare pistol mag, plus three pouches specifically designed for M4 mags, plus a few other pouches. It also has molle system loops on the back where you can attach a bunch of other stuff such as water bottles etc, and it has a good quality belt you can hang stuff off too. I actually only bought mine because I had a thirty quid amazon voucher and thought I'd give it a whirl, but having used it, I would say it is better than my more expensive tactical vests and plate carriers, being easily adjustable, quick to put on, and more than capable of carrying everything needed for a skirmish. As a result, I'm now calling it my main vest, which ain't bad for thirty quid, as it is very well made and the material is very tough too. I had someone drag me by the harness loop on the back of it when they medic'd me the other day, which gives you an idea of how tough the thing is.

• Supporters

If you haven't yet read this you may find it useful to at least skim.

On a side note regarding a side arm.

I bought a WE M9 and its a great little gun, Its fun to use in CQB and when I run out of Ammo. However I think if I had a choice to go back, I would have spent the money on buying some mid-caps and a battle belt :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.