Painting Navy Style Camo

hacksmith

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If i repaint a 2-Tone gun with Navy style Camo "Leave out the black" would that count as a two tone or an RIF?

as long as 51% is a bright blue?

and could the 51% be 2 different colors?

Asking as im wondering if its just better to wait till april and apply for a UKARA or if i can get a two tone as a gift for christmas.

post-10499-0-90562600-1417026617_thumb.jpg

Has to be a solid colour for two-tone I think.

Personally I wouldn't bother, wait til you have UKARA and in the mean time use camo tape if you can to cover up colourful parts when you go to a skirmish (but put it on when you get there are take it off before you leave)

Neither of the first two posts are correct. The VCRA describes an IF as looking unrealistic. You dont need to paint 51 percent, this is just a widely accepted myth.

You can paint your gun however you like so long as it does nit appear realistic, either in use or in storage, but the only person that can decide whether or not its "unrealistic" is a firearms expert or someone who wears a red gown and curly wig for a living

To be honest, If you only use it at an official skirmish site then who cares?

That as well. The only time that these laws would be tested is when someone does something stupid and the investigation ask how you got your RIF

• Supporters

Neither of the first two posts are correct. The VCRA describes an IF as looking unrealistic. You dont need to paint 51 percent, this is just a widely accepted myth.

You can paint your gun however you like so long as it does nit appear realistic, either in use or in storage, but the only person that can decide whether or not its "unrealistic" is a firearms expert or someone who wears a red gown and curly wig for a living

have you even read the VCRA and it's commencement orders? It doesn't say that at all! the definition of an Imitation Firearm is clearly laid out here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-violent-crime-reduction-act-2006-commencement-no-3-order-2007-firearms-measures

Just in case you can't be bothered to read to the specific section, I'll quote it below

• a height of 38mm and a length of 70mm. An imitation firearm with dimensions less than this is to be regarded as unrealistic
    • transparent
    • bright red
    • bright orange
    • bright blue
    • bright yellow
    • bright green
    • bright pink
    • bright purple
  1. An imitation firearm whose principal colour is not one of those listed in the regulations does not automatically fall to be regarded as realistic, although it is more likely that will be the case. In these circumstances, the general test of whether it is distinguishable from a real firearm, taking into account its size, colour etc, should be applied. It is worth keeping in mind that the intention behind this measure is to stop the supply of imitations which look so realistic that they are being used by criminals to threaten and intimidate their victims.

for me, principal colour leans towards that colour being the most prevalent on an item... i.e. more than half.

From my experience with law, including university lectures, the only part of law you can be charged against is an Act of parliment, such as the vcrA. I have read the act, thoroughly, and that is all that a prosecutor can reference in any charge against you. Regulations are essentially extentions, so what you have quoted is a guideline, not a law.

Besides which. It only offers one way of making an IF. Did you even read what you quoted? It states that a gun not of these colours is not automatically an RIF, but it depends on How realistic it looks

Fact is, whether you are painting fifty-one percent or five-hundred and fifty-one percent of the thing in blue, green or whatever, painting it up in camouflage colours which replicate those that a military force uses, absolutely is an attempt to make it look like a realistic firearm. No amount of 'interpretation' as to what the two-toning mentioned in the VCR Act means is going alter the fact that you would be 'manufacturing a RIF', which is specifically mentioned in the VCR Act. So (without a legitimate reason for having done so) this means you would be stepping outside the legal boundaries of the VCR Act and would be liable to a prosecution if you did not have a reason for having done so. But - and is an important point - keep in mind that the VCR Act is intended to 'do what it says on the tin', i.e. it is the Violent Crime Reduction Act. That is its purpose. It is not the Stop You Playing Airsoft Act, nor is it the Stop You Having a Realistic Looking Firearm Act. So long as you are within the boundaries of when the VCR Act says you can have a RIF, then you absolutely can have a RIF.

Someone at home possessing a RIF, or painting up a gun to look more realistic is nothing whatsoever to do with UKARA at all, nor are they crossing the boundaries of the VCR Act, since they are at home and not out somewhere committing a Violent Crime. And UKARA is simply a means for retailers to determine whether you have a legitimate reason to buy a RIF, so that they can sell you one with a clear conscience and be safe from prosecution. If you have a legitimate reason for owning a RIF, i.e. you regularly go skirmishing, then you don't need a UKARA at all, and anyone who says that you do, does not understand either what UKARA is, or what the VCR Act pertains to.

UKARA is not the law, what is mentioned in the VCR Act is the law.

Behave responsibly and don't be a dickhead with your guns by waving them about in public and scaring people, and you can have as many RIFs as you want, with or without a UKARA.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.