g&g outer barrel

n1ckh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Sooooo, my son wants to modify his M4 G&G raider (long barrel version)

He wants a shorter outer barrel and wants it like mine (I've got the CQB version, so I can use it in different environments)

My outer barrel is 10.5" long but I dont know if I could use a different manufacturers barrel (someone like ARES or G&P)

• Supporters

don't see why not but he may have 363mm inner & you got 300mm perhaps

so new inner too - don't cut your old one unless you are very very very good

with correct tools - buy another barrel if need to

I'm looking into a couple of outer barrels too - not sure what 2 or 3 piece ones

are any good or just get say a 10.5" one and maybe 15 or 18 one if doing a M4 dmr build

He's got the standard length inner barrel with the standard length outer barrel but I'm lucky as I know someone very well who has a lathe, turned down a barrel for me when I replaced my inner barrel

I'll look more into it as I've seen a site with a few outer barrel's, I'm even thinking of just shortening his outer barrel as he doesn't want a silencer suppressor

The G&G barrell is different to the more traditional, in that its made up in three sections. you could try machining the part furthest away from the gun, but is not great quality metal and getting a decent tread would take a fair amount of work I suspect.

This is what you need.

If there made in 3 sections like you say monkey (after looking at the ebay link) then its a possibility of just unscrewing the muzzle section

I'm keeping the inner barrel the same length and just reducing the outer barrel

That one replaces the whole barrel, from start to end, the first part is the 10 inch short barrel, then you screw the second piece on for a 14 inch barrel.

IIRC you will need a 260mm and a 363mm but I'm not 100% on those measurements, so best double check.

You will also want a new front A post, collapsible look good and can be had cheap from the same HK supplier, who are pretty good, I have ordered from them before.

I'm keeping the inner barrel the same length and just reducing the outer barrel

If you reduce the outer barrel, but keep the same length inner, you will have the barrel poking out of the end .... Unless you want to hide it with a suppressor, It serves no perpous. What are you trying to achieve?

Don't wory about cylinder bores it's another myth that has evolved into nonsenseness and only really relivent to excessively long barrels and very high fps builds.

The standard G&G CM Raider S uses a 229mm inner barrel, but the same gearbox, including cylinder, as the Raider L, so you should not need to change the cylinder, or anything else in the gearbox. However, you will notice a drop in FPS if you shorten the inner, probably by about 20-30 FPS. I did the reverse of this and tested my Raider S with both 363mm and 510mm inner barrels (M4 & M16 lengths) and had increased FPS figures of 345 and 380 respectively with no other changes.

Thanks monkey nuts, my son just wants it a bit shorter, pretty much the same as mine, he likes mine and wants to achieve a similar look, I'll stick a suppressor on for him to keep the inner barrel

RR01 - I'd have thought a shorter barrel requires no new piston etc so I think some people are repeating what they've heard elsewhere, I understand if putting in a longer barrel, its like putting larger carberetuers on an engine for a bigger bang

• Supporters

If you are going to reduce the length of the outer barrel from 14" to 10.5" and then put a KAC style suppressor on it (or any of the short M4 stylee ones), you will have a longer gun than you started with - only by 21mm, but there we are... no reason not to do it, but probably better for your wallet to be clear about the reasons for buying airsoft stuff, because it's addictive ;) In this case it's not for any practical purpose but purely to look cooler...

You'll also need to make sure that the inner barrel jams tightly into the outer barrel where it emerges, because any amount of wobble may allow the BB's will hit the interior of the suppressor, as well as ruining accuracy.

I had to do that with my barrel, I ended up with 3 pieces of heat shrink around it, 4 pieces was to much

• Supporters

have a look on G&G's webby, and see if you can get the part number for the shorter barrel, then just email them for the bits ... i did this with my l85 hop+barrel (just beware of import VAT and RMG's ransom fee aka "clearance fee")

or if/when you have the part number approach a G&G retailer ;)

That's not a bad idea spOOn, I've got the 'exploded diagram' that came with mine

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.