Cadet thread.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A proper question: Where'd the cadets here get all their kit from?

And specifically to ATC cadets, what kit would you take usually on a Night ex? (We have one every week)

All my extra kit and bits & pieces have been bought from Cadet Direct. I've also bought stuff from Military1st if it's cheaper there.

For night ops- red light torch is the only night specific piece of kit. Red light doesn't ruin the human eye's natural night vision when the light's shone at it.

As well as this you might want to get a field hat (or 'crap hat') so you don't have to worry about getting your beret dirty/losing the cap badge when you take it out for fieldcraft. The ATC berets are quite light in colour so won't be good for night.

Once you've fully committed and are more experienced and senior within the flight you may want to buy a set of your own webbing. The Osprey MOLLE battle belt set sold on the aforementioned Cadet retailer is perfect in both price and utility.

A proper question: Where'd the cadets here get all their kit from?

And specifically to ATC cadets, what kit would you take usually on a Night ex? (We have one every week)

Thanks!

Your combats.

Head Torch + spare batteries

Make sure your wearing a vest or something under your combats to keep warm.

Water

Notepad.

A lot of private schools have a CCF (Combined Cadet Force) unit. They also have some of the worse haircuts going.

Not to mention the drill........

I've seen CCF cadets come up to receive awards from senior officers on parades, 3 times I've seen CCF cadets mince up, take the award and bimble off without shaking the officers' hand or saluting them...

No offence inteded but I believe the CCF is a lot like the boy scouts/girl guides, they play at what there doing plus with 3 different cadet forces combined I think its difficult as they can't really concentrate on 1 branch of the cadets

So James you ask what Thunderbirds has to do with Air cadets
www.103air.com/ go go ;) you know you want to join those guys/girls

So James you ask what Thunderbirds has to do with Air cadets

www.103air.com/ go go ;) you know you want to join those guys/girls

There Canadians, they dont count ;) though that is an epic name still.

If there wearing chip butties on there heads then there the Canadian equivalent, UK Air Cadets wear either the RAF Beret or Peaked Cap if the in #1's.

• 4 weeks later...

You need to get some more badges on there, JAA ;)

This is about 3 years worth of stuff, and I've still got badges owed to me by the company training staff:

XKSDXhb.jpg

Got an RBL Affiliated Unit badge as well for attaching, unfortunately we're limited to no more than 5 badges per blanking plate....my GP badge is deffo taking priority over the RBL badge

You need to get some more badges on there, JAA ;)

This is about 3 years worth of stuff, and I've still got badges owed to me by the company training staff:

XKSDXhb.jpg

Got an RBL Affiliated Unit badge as well for attaching, unfortunately we're limited to no more than 5 badges per blanking plate....my GP badge is deffo taking priority over the RBL badge

Nice stuff there tac! Bet your proud!

Nice stuff there tac! Bet your proud!

Not proud as such, it's just fun doing some of the courses......plus it makes you look good when the next round of promotions is up. I put a buttload of effort in for my first stripe, I kept that up and I'm being considered for my second. Not bad considering how difficult it is to get a rank in my company :)

The trick is not being complacent after getting the first tape. The second tape comes after you can show that you go above and beyond the expected effort you put in.

Some can argue it's a 'pay to promote' system though- one fairly average inexperienced L/CPL in our Farnborough detachment paid £600 to do an exchange to Canada. Despite not shining much and being one of the newest L/CPLs in the Company, she got her 2nd stripe because of her (paid) trip to Canada.....it's a heavily recurring theme where you rarely see cadets in senior ranks who didn't pay their way.

I only have the Nijmegen badge for my brassard aside from my unit ones. I had to walk a bloody long way to get it. Also have medals for the Nijmegen marches, death march and Cosford.

James you will need to sow them on otherwise they will look bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Put mu name down for Griffin in October (somebody took a wee shizz in the showers there at the last camp :-/) and from the photos, videos and things Ive heard its a great weekend in Greens the whole time and in the full monty!

Anyone here been on it?

Also, what webbing and backpacks do you peeps have?

I use a PLCE Marauder 30L daysack and I have a Condor Chest Set in Multicam with a smattering of Osprey pouches on it. It gets some funny looks and a lot of interest from other cadets, but it gets the job done better than PLCE IMO.

You won't see many people with their own webbing, most I know only buy some after they've been in for a long while and commit to spending money on the proper stuff.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.