I'm under 18 and want to play airsoft

Thealebear

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My step-son has a RIF (MP5) which I bought and gave it to him for his birthday as a gift.

I don't have UKARA currently but my local retailer knows I skirmish and skirmish on a regular basis.

Have I satisfied the law? Yes - the retailer has satisfied himself that I am a regular skirmisher and I have given my step-son the RIF as a gift. No sale has taken place and the RIF wasn't manufactured by either of us.

It really isn't that complicated if you do things right.

As for having a bright coloured gun... some people like bright two-tone weapons as when they get a kill with them it is twice as embarrassing for the person that was hit... psychological you see...

Would sites let me play with a RIF thats been gifted or not

Yes. It's completely legal for someone who has bought it and has a valid defence to have gifted you a RIF.

There are no restrictions against ownership, but the VCRA covers manufacture / sale / import.

Therefore if money changes hands it is illegal, but your dad could just give it to you and that would be fine. Not that anybody would know if you did pay them back (i don't encourage you do that though, try to stick to the rules)

I'm 16 so my dad has bought all our airsoft guns and my understanding was that they would still legally belong to him and and are his responsibility, however it was recently told that they are in fact mine because they have been 'gifted' to me (although I never bought them myself in the first place)

read the law again, you're wrong.

"There is no law or age limit to own a RIF, but the only way you should have one without a defence (e.g. UKARA) is if it was gifted to you or purchased before 2007's VCRA.

UKARA is not a licence, and is not the only way of purchasing a RIF. It is simply a defence which allows you to purchase RIFs, other defences include being a registered re-inactor or professional film maker, or simply proving you are a registered skirmisher.

To obtain an RIF without a defence, it must be gifted to you. This means you cannot give anything in exchange for it, including money, other items and services (e.g cleaning your room for a week to get your dad to buy you a RIF isn't actually legal). This also applies to people under 18 obtaining IFs (51%+ clear or bright coloured).

It is the seller's responsibility to check that you have a defence, not yours to prove to them. But goodluck finding someone willing to sell to someone without a defence. "

Close enough, still goes against what some are saying that they will give parents money etc.

I don't get why people are in such a rush to get a RIF, Seriously.

It's the law, it justs happens to be the same thing called 'law' that prevents people from burning your house down and killing your family while you watch.

Funny that people are so enthusiastic about breaking it just so they look 'moar oper8r' on the field.

From being an under 18 myself, I'm waiting my time and doing it by the book.

/rant

Also, Say after awhile of playing with a two tone - And the paint starts to scratch off, To a point where the isn't much left, Then what?

It doesn't seem like people consider buying a two tone gun and then just covering up the brightly coloured parts with camo tape. As long as it's put on when you get to the site and you take it off before you leave, it's fine to do it.

I also don't see for this reason why you couldn't have a realistically coloured stock and handguard to replace two-tone parts whilst at a skirmish (again, as long as they are removed before you go)

If you don't have a defence (say you don't have the time to get one or you aren't going to be able to skirmish often or whatever) then it's a good idea. Even if it's two-toned though money shouldn't be changing hands if you're under 18, right? (Only gifting)

It doesn't seem like people consider buying a two tone gun and then just covering up the brightly coloured parts with camo tape. As long as it's put on when you get to the site and you take it off before you leave, it's fine to do it.

I also don't see for this reason why you couldn't have a realistically coloured stock and handguard to replace two-tone parts whilst at a skirmish (again, as long as they are removed before you go)

If you don't have a defence (say you don't have the time to get one or you aren't going to be able to skirmish often or whatever) then it's a good idea. Even if it's two-toned though money shouldn't be changing hands if you're under 18, right? (Only gifting)

exactly what I said i was going to do. If there was someone at my site who wasn't happy about it and told me I wouldn't do it but as they are all fine with it It is what I plan to do. It is not dangering anyone as I am in a safe environment and so I can't realistically see how it is breaking the law

I agree with Yawns, no matter what colour the gun is it's still going to do the same job as well as a black gun.

Hell sometimes two tone IFs can be found a lot cheaper than actual RIFs. Add some sniper/camo tape and no one would be the wiser to it being two tone in the first place.

• Supporters

"There is no law or age limit to own a RIF, but the only way you should have one without a defence (e.g. UKARA) is if it was gifted to you or purchased before 2007's VCRA.

UKARA is not a licence, and is not the only way of purchasing a RIF. It is simply a defence which allows you to purchase RIFs, other defences include being a registered re-inactor or professional film maker, or simply proving you are a registered skirmisher.

To obtain an RIF without a defence, it must be gifted to you. This means you cannot give anything in exchange for it, including money, other items and services (e.g cleaning your room for a week to get your dad to buy you a RIF isn't actually legal). This also applies to people under 18 obtaining IFs (51%+ clear or bright coloured).

It is the seller's responsibility to check that you have a defence, not yours to prove to them. But goodluck finding someone willing to sell to someone without a defence. "

Close enough, still goes against what some are saying that they will give parents money etc.

OK, go back and read the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006, I'm not sure which version you've been reading but you've clearly missed a few bits out.

The only things specifically controlled by the act are sale, import and manufacture.

In order to sell a RIF to someone you need to avail yourself of a defence against the VCRA, the person buying doesn't need a defence (they simply enable the seller to prove their defence), they're not committing a crime. Usually this is done by the seller checking the buyer's bona fides and satisfying themselves that the purchase is indeed for one of the permitted activities, UKARA is just a method of making that easier, nothing else.

Import of a RIF can be done by anyone who can prove materially to customs and excise (more specifically the UKBA) that they are importing it for the purpose of one of the permitted activities. At this time the only method they accept is a site membership recorded on the UKARA database or membership of a recognised reenactment organisation (e.g. AFRA).

Manufacture of a RIF is not controlled by age in any way (read the legislation, it just isn't), not only that, the conditions that need to be met in order to qualify for any of the specific defences (as detailed in Home Office circular 031 / 2007) are not quantified in the act itself. Personally, I would not manufacture a RIF unless I could materially prove that I am a regular skirmisher, be that with photographic evidence stretching back several years or by a phonecall to one of my local site's owners who would verify I am legit.

The statement however that an under 18 cannot under any circumstances own a RIF is completely false, manufacture is an entirely legal way for an under 18 player to get themselves a RIF providing they are confident that their defence against prosecution would hold up under the kind of close scrutiny the CPS would put it under.

Can't you put camo tape on the two tone bits if it matters loads or a bit of mud etc but I really am not sure so you should probably ignore this one....

Please say if this is wrong i dont want to go ruin airsoft...

I don't get why people are in such a rush to get a RIF, Seriously.

It's the law, it justs happens to be the same thing called 'law' that prevents people from burning your house down and killing your family while you watch.

Funny that people are so enthusiastic about breaking it just so they look 'moar oper8r' on the field.

From being an under 18 myself, I'm waiting my time and doing it by the book.

/rant

What he said ;)

Are two tones restricted in fps and do they stand out too much and do you ever get picked on by older players. Thank you

Restricted fps: Nope, just painted different colours is all

Do they stand out: Transparent ones aren't as bad, but the brightly painted ones definitely will. You can wrap them in camo tape though to reduce this and then remove the tape when transporting/storing the gun.

Will you get picked on: Some players may be a bit snobby towards you, but the majority won't. Of course using a bright orange gun will mean you're more noticeable and draw more fire, by that's not personal.

Register for a site membership at the site on the first skirmish he goes to. Then he must play his three games (in no less than two months) before filling out the registration form for a UKARA defence and get the site to stamp/sign it to prove he is a regular skirmisher - they will have proof of his attendance in their records. Your dad will then need to send off his registration form to a UKARA registered shop so they can add it to the database.

Easy enough?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.