Eye Protection - Mesh or no mesh?

RedFox89
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

At the moment I've changed from mesh to some issue British army goggles by Revision, they have yet to fog up even with a balaclava and they make an attachment for prescription lenses to put inside the goggles

• Supporters

At the moment I've changed from mesh to some issue British army goggles by Revision, they have yet to fog up even with a balaclava and they make an attachment for prescription lenses to put inside the goggles

Are they Bullet Ants, Anarchy?

• Supporters

hoooly shit, sounds like something that nearly happened to me a while back, lower mesh had 'slipped' and left a tiny gap between itself and the bottom of my glasses and a BB bounced off the top of the mesh and behind my glasses. Fortunately it hit me below the eyelid and no harm was really done, but it did give me a heck of a shock, so much so that now in CQB I wear full seal and nothing else.

Woodland I forego the lower mesh and use a gumshield, working on the basis that if there's nothing to cause a BB to ricochet, it can't get under there!

• Supporters

Yeah it's definitely worth considering even if it would be a one in a million chance the shot both ricochets under the lenses and manages to make it's way into your eye. I personally get on pretty well with a pair of ESS Advancer V12s, they fog slightly every now and then but it obscures your vision less than mesh does still, plus I could basically be upside down and they wouldn't slip off my head.

I'd like to get a pair of smith optics regulators for comparison at some point - I'm sure there are goggles that don't fog up at all, at least for me. My Addidas Yodai goggles I use for snowboarding will only fog up if I pull my jacket up over my mouth so all the moisture from my breath is funneled into them.

Out of interest do you just use a bog standard gumshield? I've seen mention of some weird flatter type before but I'm not sure what they are called, just that they are less restrictive.

I had that issue Fumps. My solution was to add a thin layer of old camping mat foam to the rims of the goggles. This added about 2 or 3 millimetres to the goggles and raised them out of range of my eyelashes. Over time the foam compresses and I have to add a bit more. I did the same with my mask over the nose and cheekbones so my chin no longer grazes the mesh.

If you want I can post some thicker, soft foam. It's roughly 8mm-10mm thick. It's used to make a seal on radiator cowlings so once it's stuck on there it won't come off.

I use mesh at the moment but im not 100% happy about it, i wana buy some Smith Optic Turbo fan Balisic goggles, There about £150 but thats done then. Buy cheap buy twice. Normal goggles you can do the washing up liquid thing and all those anti fog wipes but there never 100% results they always fog right at the point when you dont need it.

• Supporters

Yeah it's definitely worth considering even if it would be a one in a million chance the shot both ricochets under the lenses and manages to make it's way into your eye. I personally get on pretty well with a pair of ESS Advancer V12s, they fog slightly every now and then but it obscures your vision less than mesh does still, plus I could basically be upside down and they wouldn't slip off my head.

I'd like to get a pair of smith optics regulators for comparison at some point - I'm sure there are goggles that don't fog up at all, at least for me. My Addidas Yodai goggles I use for snowboarding will only fog up if I pull my jacket up over my mouth so all the moisture from my breath is funneled into them.

Out of interest do you just use a bog standard gumshield? I've seen mention of some weird flatter type before but I'm not sure what they are called, just that they are less restrictive.

I have the V12 Advancers too but a funny thing (if slightly scary) happened last time out - I took a pretty hard shot to the head, just above my left eyebrow. As I was walking back to the spawn saying polite and gentlemanly things about my enemy I noticed something moving at the lower extremity of my field of view. I got the marshal to shine his torch into the goggles and found that the BB had actually ricocheted down into the lens pod! There it was just rolling about without a care in the world. Little bastard.

Ive had that happen a couple of times with my bolle pilot goggles, I think they slip in the gap between the frame seal and my glasses leg, Just Upgraded to a pair of Tracker 2s with precrition insert. Tried mesh when i started but found they triggered migranes. properly industrial / military rated polycarb scince then. (minimum of EN166 class B lenses)

Christ that sounded awful for that guy in the article. Hope he makes a full recovery, I can't imagine losing eyesight for even a short amount of time!

I have tracker 2's but they kept fogging - I have on order some mesh OTG goggles from heroshark that he just got the frames in for. Looking forward to seeing how they do!

• Supporters

I have the V12 Advancers too but a funny thing (if slightly scary) happened last time out - I took a pretty hard shot to the head, just above my left eyebrow. As I was walking back to the spawn saying polite and gentlemanly things about my enemy I noticed something moving at the lower extremity of my field of view. I got the marshal to shine his torch into the goggles and found that the BB had actually ricocheted down into the lens pod! There it was just rolling about without a care in the world. Little bastard.

Shit, I use V12 Advancers, just with custom mesh instead of polycarb (because they fog). Where do you reckon the BB got in, between the frame and your skin, or between the pod and frame?

• Supporters

sh*t, I use V12 Advancers, just with custom mesh instead of polycarb (because they fog). Where do you reckon the BB got in, between the frame and your skin, or between the pod and frame?

Honestly not sure mate. It certainly didn't have any force when it got it as I only noticed it when it was rolling about. My guess was between the lens pod and the frame as I have them open for venting. Pretty small gap there though. Unless of course I actually took more than one hit - one that I felt and the other that snuck in around the side of the pod?

• Supporters

Yeah, more than 1 hit wouldn't be unlikely, because getting hit in the head is always a bit alarming, even when you trust your eyepro, so one which you didn't notice could've hit and forced its way between the pod and frame. Alarming! I'm going to have to do some tests on mine. I feel pretty sure that they fit the shape of my face snugly enough that a BB couldn't get in that way.

• Supporters

I think it's more likely that a BB would push through the rubber trim that seals the goggles to your face than through the gap created when they are open as I've just just tried pushing a BB through and it just got stuck about 1/3 of the way through.

Thing is if a BB pushed through the seal, unless you have the V12s so loose they are dangerous anyway I would be confident it would completely drop the velocity of the BB as it gets inside, whereas I'm sure I am not the only one that has got a welt from a Ricochet at close to medium range

The main weak point I've noticed is there is a small gap where the bridge of my nose is, but it is about half the width of a BB and I guess would depend on the shape of your head/nose. I toyed with the idea of putting a couple of thin strips of padding along that area but I think it will make them more prone to fogging.

I had some Heroshark eyepro that was roughly the size of ski googles and they had slits on either side of your eye that a BB would fit through, albeit snugly. Again I toyed with plugging the holes but never bothered as they were my backups, till I lost them/someone stole them.

Talking about larger frames the ones I have just ordered Heroshark has updated his facebook page with photos of his creations, one of which is the OTG goggle frames:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t31/10001074_467665363333194_1957135294_o.jpg

Hopefully get them later this week!

Archived