Metal vs plastic

BenSquires123
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to airsoft, but I've had a fair few sprinters in my time, and I'm starting to want to go to a skirmish. Me and a few of my friends who have always had an interest in airsoft are now deciding its time we actually went to a skirmish, but we are a little stuck in the guns to get. I've found two M4 style guns which both seem pretty good, but I'm not sure which to get. One is £80 with 350fps with 0.20 gram bb's with an SRC metal gearbox and plastic body, the other has the exact same specs but has a metal body, but it is £60 more at £140. Basically I just want to know if it's worth spending the £60 more to get a metal body, or if a plastic body will do the job, and I'm aware you can hire guns at the skirmish site but I would like one for my own. I also thought I would add both guns are AEG's and have the same gearbox.

I apologise if i am jumping to conclusions here, but i'm guessing you have been looking at guns from a certain website with "bb guns" in the name?
Honestly, i would stay well clear from SRC and guns those sort of sites sell. I would recommend hiring a gun and going skirmishing 3 times, getting a UKARA membership and then purchasing an RIF, then it doesn't have to be two toned. Ive seen plenty of newbies in my time that have bought bright orange hunks of crap and extremely regretting it. I even watched a SRC M4 that had been sold to the owner for arounfd £150 get outranged and outgunned by a £150 G&G M4.

I recommend for a begginers gun, a g&g combat machine of some sort from http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/ They have the best prices for g&g guns and they do two tone services for no extra charge (if needed, like i said i would stay well clear from two toning)

Check out Ians guid to noobism, it gives you the best advice i have read for newbies: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/17294-ians-guide-to-noobism-on-a-tight-budget/

If they are the same gun internally, then what is the benefit except weight and feel ?

Will the guns you are looking at provide you with a reliable gun that will enable you to stand a fair chance against other skirmishers in terms of range and rate of fire ?

The G&G combat range is definitely the best way to go for a sub £200 M4.

For other types of gun there are other options worth looking at. SRC's G36's are now pretty good. Cyma AK's are possibly better than the G&G ones as Cyma are reputed to make better AK hopups. For MP5's the Classic army ones are better for CQB as the G&G combat machine comes with a full stock and the cost of changing it is quite high.

Use the 2 months needed to get Ukara sorted to look at different retailers and guns, if you see something you like at a really low price, ask about it either on here or at a skirmish. Keep an eye on landwarriorairsoft.com they often have some bargains lurking in the clearance section including ex-hire G36's for about £50 which are currently sold out (I have a hunch someone bought them all and is currently trying to sell them for ridiculous prices in the sales section of this forum).

As for metal vs Plastic: Metal guns are usually the more expensive guns and may have better internals but that's not always the case.

Metal guns are heavier, some people like a more realistic weight but to start with you will be better with a gun that doesn't wear you out just carrying it for a few hours. Cheap metal can crack if dropped and is then unrepairable, plastics being more flexible may survive being dropped and if it cracks, then it can be glued.

Archived