After some advice about starting a new site! :D

WAH64_Man

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone, just registered and thought I'd say hello! Seriously considering setting up an Airsoft site with a few guys from work after playing around on the airfield. Thought that this would be a great site to find out people's thoughts? If I've posted in the wrong section then accept my apologies!! I can give more info about we've been discussing if people wish, but it would be great to receive your ideas about what makes a great site! :)

Yes its a good idea but don't underestimate whats involved.

If you want to sell places to others to cover the costs, its a big commitment as you have to turn out on every game day and plan it all out in advance, plus your need public liability insurance, etc.

Well were currently looking at pooling some of our savings together and buying some land. We would love to run scenarios that we've all been involved in for real just to add a bit of realism to it. We've got some good ideas but would really like to see what people really enjoy about the sport and what they would have in their ultimate games! We'd consider doing full weekend events with things such as UAV coverage which can be down linked to ground stations, all this equipment we've already got. We understand that it will be a lot of commitment and we're all ready to give it everything to make it a success. We need to get a few Insurance quotes as we've not looked at that yet! We're focussing our attentions on finding the right plot first. That's why we want people's opinions on what they like about the sport, as I said we've only just scratched the surface of it ourselves. We've got a mixture of different experiences to bring from AH Drivers, Infanteers & EOD experts.

If you look into it, I think you will find that there are planning application issues if you play more than 26 times a year I think it is.

That is why most organisers just rent land that can be used for other things the rest of the time.

As to game content, you could fill those 26 events - its just a question of the mix you adopt. I suspect most organisers go for ordinary skirmishes because running themed games every two weeks takes a LOT of planning and preparation.

have you been to different sites? I would definitely play at a few first. to get a feel of it.

I'd say make sure covers are not too far apart. When they are longer distances to covers than an AEGs range, games tend to get a bit like WW1 trenches. everyone camps at their side until someone decides to storm, and gets gunned down by the whole opposite team as soon as he is within reach.

might want to consider also renting it out to some paintball organisation to make the ends meet aswell.

and welcome to the forums!

That is why most organisers just rent land that can be used for other things the rest of the time.

it can? BBs everywhere and ground all destroyed from boots?

Renting is something we had considered. It's finding the right place that's proving difficult. We're more than happy to throw everything we've got at this and certainly don't mind putting in the ground work to make the scenarios as good and realistic as possible. Do you run a site yourself Baz? This is all good info by the way thanks :)

We've only messed around with some kit on our Camp and are planning on getting a few of us together to visit a local site soon. We all really love it and thought what a quality job it would be to do! We've all got something different to bring to it from an experience point of view and are working on different scenarios rather than just skirmish style scenarios. Like the paintball idea too, these are things we hadn't thought of. We're also considering doing corporate team building days as two of us are high ropes instructors so we could have a small area cordoned off for that. This would obviously load the insurance policy a bit more!

No I don't run a site. Wouldn't want the time commitment TBH.

Im interested in milsims and setting up theme games so Ive spoken to quite a few site operators and my comments are based on snippets Ive picked up.

Renting is something we had considered. It's finding the right place that's proving difficult. We're more than happy to throw everything we've got at this and certainly don't mind putting in the ground work to make the scenarios as good and realistic as possible. Do you run a site yourself Baz? This is all good info by the way thanks :)

We've only messed around with some kit on our Camp and are planning on getting a few of us together to visit a local site soon. We all really love it and thought what a quality job it would be to do! We've all got something different to bring to it from an experience point of view and are working on different scenarios rather than just skirmish style scenarios. Like the paintball idea too, these are things we hadn't thought of. We're also considering doing corporate team building days as two of us are high ropes instructors so we could have a small area cordoned off for that. This would obviously load the insurance policy a bit more!

again, go and play at some other sites to get inspiration / see how they do it. For example thou some are pretty much "team deathmatch" there's milsim, some doesn't allow two tone, there's a site in London that does police/military/pmc training courses, shooting courses etc. some require certain dress codes. you'll also get an idea of what rental equipment most use (and which guns are robust enough to have as rentals), what kind of requirements sites have on the player/players on the sites etc.

How do I do that? Hahaha

"edit" then "advanced" ;)

I think that because we could split it between 3 maybe 4 of us the time commitment issue wouldn't be that bad! We would all be involved in the planning process and would use a maximum of 6 different scenarios which would be pre designed and planned. Then just let them run their course on the day with video de briefs afterwards

again, go and play at some other sites to get inspiration / see how they do it. For example thou some are pretty much "team deathmatch" there's milsim, some doesn't allow two tone, there's a site in London that does police/military/pmc training courses, shooting courses etc. some require certain dress codes. you'll also get an idea of what rental equipment most use (and which guns are robust enough to have as rentals), what kind of requirements sites have on the player/players on the site

This is defo something were planning on doing. At the moment our focus has been mainly on finding a plot we could use. We are looking to hopefully have something up and running within the next 5/6 months. As we've never been to one of the big sites or competed in a big match we're unsure of the amount people pay to participate in it. We've been comparing it to Paintball as a rough guess. We've looked at different starter kits on the internet and built a lit of suppliers to talk to when things progress a bit more

My advice: don't put another site in the West Midlands, there's load already, come to Colchester and put one here ;)

Hahahaha! We've not longed moved from around that area! When I say West Mids, it's the far West! Shropshire area we're looking at towards the Welsh Border. There's some nice areas we've been to see with differing terrain and loads of potential

• Supporters

I thought there was a site just outside Colchester ?

There's one which is just starting out, and another dude who sets up skirmishes with random paintball/outdoor sites etc, but we could always use more.

Wales area should be alright, Birmingham and Coventry way are saturated!

That's been one of our concerns! We know it's a bit out of the way so would people travel to it? That's why we've been thinking of ways to make it as realistic as possible. Would their be an appetite for weekend scenarios do you think? We're considering an Option where teams arrive Friday night, receive orders, then move out into the area for a scenario that runs through the weekend into Sun afternoon! We've managed to procure some respirators to consider doing an NBC Phase as well

Yes, you will get takers.

Whether the income you can generate will cover the investment in land and fitting out costs is not something that will get answered by a forum.

I know of sites that have over 100 players paying £25 each every fortnight.

Whether you will get the same income is another matter.

If you are serious and not just indulging in some daydreaming as we all do, you need to do a very serious and unemotionally involved business plan. With Airsoft, its very easy to get carried away in excitement.

Hobbies that become businesses tend to stop being hobbies. The enjoyment of Airsoft for me is to get away from the realities of working in the real industry.

Yeah agreed! We're very aware of easy it would be to get carried away with it, in the quest for perfection!

We're all sitting down over the next fortnight to discuss finances etc. if we could find somewhere good to rent then I think we could do it without need a business loan!

I've noticed that theirs an event forecast for Sennybridge,mwhich was originally meant to be at Copehill Down! Are the MOD on side then for allowing events on their training areas?

I believe that some organisers have regular arrangements with the MOD but I think its for specific time windows well defined in advance and they are very subject to change. I don't believe high level training areas are used.

Im sure other members who have attended these will be able to comment better.

Its not a good time for business loans.

One of the things Ive noticed, talking to a lot of sites, is that they are either entrenched in what I call civilian skirmishes or they are very far up their own backside and there are some very scary WALT groups out there.

Ive always maintained that there is room for a decent organisation that falls between and caters for what people want to do.

For example, I asked one site the other day if I can use my M249 on the top of their tower providing suppressing fire to both teams so it would become an obstacle to both. If hit, I didn't want to descend the tower and respawn due to the slippery ladder access, especially if you get hit every five minutes. My suggestion was a timed down time i.e once hit, I couldn't fire for a fixed time period. The answer was a straight no. Assign to a team and climb down each time. So, I wont be taking it there.

On our Facebook group, we were talking about a new mortar that has hit the market, but many sites wont even consider you bringing it.

So, there is demand for something more than a straight skirmish site. Personally, I think some sites are making so much money by just repeating the same tired old games in a skirmish format, they are getting a bit complacent.

Incidentally, I just noticed the side chat on this topic going on in status updates and have read through the comments of the others which is all good advice.

For the forum admin, this is a good example of where chat in this area detracts from the topic content and you get a split topic. The forum would be a lot busier if topics were focused. Isn't status updates for just updating your status ?

Yeah agreed! We're very aware of easy it would be to get carried away with it, in the quest for perfection!

We're all sitting down over the next fortnight to discuss finances etc. if we could find somewhere good to rent then I think we could do it without need a business loan!

I've noticed that theirs an event forecast for Sennybridge,mwhich was originally meant to be at Copehill Down! Are the MOD on side then for allowing events on their training areas?

• Supporters

The MOD sites I've heard of being used are, Sennybridge, Copehill and Rype Village Lydd. There are probably more.

However. Almost every one of the events at these sites that I know of in the last 2 years of airsofting have been changed either date or location at some point from their being advertised and eventually run. The MOD takes precedence on any of their land, understandably, but what it does mean is that the organisers end up having a headache and they potentially lose business. I've just had to pull out from the BritTac event because of the distance.

I'm happy to travel to events, if they are really good/unique, but they can't be every month, it would be a once or maybe even twice a year thing for me. And for a really special event I'll pay more than the average skirmish price. For example about 4 times in the last 6 months I have made a 1.45 hr round trip from where I live to UCAP the sandpit, when I'm there I pay £10 more than the average day skirmish price at my local.

£20, Average skirmish (probably go once a month, maybe twice if there weren't plans to go somewhere better) I would expect:

no lunch (can buy if I want it),

short interesting games (1hr max)

a total blat fest from most of the people there

many players using high caps

many players not using proper teamwork or tactics of any kind, while I try to be a bit more tactical

A free battery charge available

some interesting structures/terrain to play around.

Probably about 30-50 players.

A significant number of unaccompanied teens, some play well, others really haven't got a clue and occasionally some can be a pain. Two tone guns in evidence, (this really spoils a game for me, you might as well have a neon sign saying "here I am shoot me")

Maybe 2 or 3 marshals.

Some standing around while the next games are organised.

£30-40, UCAP/Special skirmish ( possibly once a month because it is a bit of a drive for me),

Lunch included (price dependant, UCAP do a pretty good lunch for the £30),

Interesting props-- eg UCAP - WMIK's (they provide the ammo and fuel) with a mounted 50cal and 249. Occasionally they rock a para mortar unit that can be deployed and fired by players under marshal supervision, pyro supplied by them. The WMIK also has a triple mortar unit.

Longer games which are new to me ideally (UCAP seem to run enough different games that in the 6 or 7 times I've been have never been repeated).

Players working in organised teams with a basic understanding/use of tactics.

Many players using midcaps,

lots of comms in action.

100 or more players, many coming in large teams already.

No Two tone AMAZING! Teens with guardians that are as good or better than the adults (behaviour and skill wise)

Slick gaming.

A large team of marshals ( sometimes 10 or more)

For a milsim weekend at a really interesting site I would drive probably 2-3 hrs each way, and pay up to £100. I would expect some seriously good gaming though for that money. Great scenarios that are believable, immersive and involve some serious challenges. Although I'm not in the military so I don't expect realistic time scales or to spend hours on stag, I'm there for some really good shooting.

I know of one Milsim events has used an afghani style village the MOD have built, they even had a Civilian population of market traders with stalls and everything, cant remember who though.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.