Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

jaeproductions

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I love this game but not many people play it anymore. The servers aren't great anyway and up until recently I'd been loosing connection very frequently. When I look on the server browser there are usually 1-2 servers, very rarely are there any more and they aren't well populated themselves. (although it doesn't really matter because with each player commands about twelve AI soldiers, so you feel like you are in an actual battle still)

So I was wondering if anybody else has this awesome game and if on PS3 please add me / I'll add you.

My PSN ID is: jaeg97

I might be getting the Skirmish DLC pack because it includes extra fire team engagements as well as an Island Tour FTE and you can just fly around and explore.

MY OTHER GAMES ARE:

Ghost Recon Future Soldier

Battlefield 3 (I have Premium)

Modern Warfare 2

The Saboteur

Dead Rising 2

Borderlands

Assassin's Creed Revelations

Battlefield Bad Company 2

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Gran Turismo

Might be getting R.U.S.E

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Don't have my PS3 anymore =[

Though I might buy another one just so I can play The Last Of Us, 'cos it looks fucking amazing.

• 3 months later...

I liked Operation Flashpoint. Very realistic compared to other games, but the enemy AI was too high for the game, and getting shot by a sniper from a mile away is no fun. Was the sequel any better?

• Supporters

The sequel was a lot more arcade based, nothing close to being as realistic as Dragon Rising, you had far less options on the commands radial and you could quick-switch though every item in your inventory.

It wasn't a bad game by any means, but it wasn't as good as the first one, in my opinion anyway.

The graphics were quite a lot better though, as were the animations and the general game mechanics as a whole, just a lot less realism.

I actually finished OFP:DR on the hardest difficulty back when I had a PS3, but since getting an Xbox and rebuying it, I keep getting utterly destroyed on the fuel depot night mission... <_<

• 1 year later...
  • Supporters

If your pc runs sturmovik well it should handle of:dr ok. Plus you'll be able to get it cheap now. Red river is good too (if somewhat less...."tactical").

I'm looking for a game for my boys to teach them patients and tactics, organisation and team work (hmmmm)

I'm getting sick of C.O.D as they've completed them and this game sounds almost perfect for them, might even knock the 'cockiness' out of my youngest boy (I can only dream)

Yeah, I need that for my brother. He gets mad at me for "Hard scoping" instead of quick scoping!

The battlefield series are good for tactics, but Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is supposed to be good for patience. Could you let me know which one you go for as I need a game like that!?

• Supporters

Battlefield isn't good for tactics unless those tactics are "run about like a loon, don't follow orders and for Gods sake don't play as a team".

The ORIGINAL Operation Flashpoint is a proper tactical game. This is after all what spawned ArmA (for those that don't know, the studio that developed OpFlash and the publisher fell out, one kept the name the other kept the anal attention to detail and massively steep learning curve).

OpFlash is very free roaming too. Dragon rising is a little bit more "on rails" in terms of the campaign but that's not always a bad thing. Red River plays pretty much like any other sort of tactical shooter to be honest. It is good fun though.

If you want to learn team play, have a look at the early Ghost Recon games and the early Rainbow Six games (Particularly Raven Shield which is awesome).

• Supporters

I grew up playing all the original Ghost Recon and RB6 games, they were awesome, and they had so many features that aren't in more recent titles.

Like, being able to lean was a staple thing back then, and getting hit in the limbs would actually alter your accuracy and movement speed etc, you don't get stuff like that anymore, modern shooters are all too easy.

• Supporters

I loved the planning aspect of the old R6 games too. Placing all your team members for breaching, letting your sniper go weapons free at just the right time.....happy days!

You're right though, modern FPS games are by and large far too easy these days. There's whole sections of CoD now where your actions make so little difference that you may as well not even be there!

And just what HAS happened to leaning?

• Supporters

Also, you used to be dead in one hit, from an AI bad guy... None of this running around unhit for 30 seconds to be totally okay again.

How did you get around it then?

YOU DIDN'T GET HIT! They're freakin' bullets ffs! You can't shrug off 9 trillion of them and be ok! Regenerative health is the worst thing that ever happened to the fps genre.

• Supporters

Thing is, I like my games for two reasons. I like OpFlash and its ilk for the geeky realism and I lament the passing of the "proper" Tom Clancy games for that same reason.

But I also like BF3 and 4 and CoD and MoH and hell, even Wolfenstein because sometimes I just want to blow shit up.

With a jeep.

Covered in C4.

• Supporters

Mod support too. I miss that.

Dragon rising has about a squillion community created maps, missions and even campaigns. Granted some of them are utter pish but some are fantastic!

Mod support too. I miss that.

Dragon rising has about a squillion community created maps, missions and even campaigns. Granted some of them are utter pish but some are fantastic!

Still don't know which to get lol.

• Supporters

At this point they'll both be so cheap that you could probably get both for less than a tenner anyway!

Don't have my PS3 anymore =[

Though I might buy another one just so I can play The Last Of Us, 'cos it looks f*cking amazing.

The Last of Us + Left Behind has the most beautiful story and such a fantastic experience with Ellie and Joel and how they bond etc. Brilliant how Joel accepts Ellie as a daughter near the end it's just beautiful.

• Supporters

It's a good time to get Last of Us too. Those of use that bought it on release had to play it in chunks because whilst it was the best looking and best scripted game on the PS3 it was the most buggy piece of code I've ever had the misfortune to try and use. Seriously it makes the early code of BF4 look like supremely crafted digital art.

• Supporters

I've been tempted to buy it since it's been released for the PS4, but I watched someone else do a full start to end playthrough, so at the same time it seems like a bit of a waste of money.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.