Projects over the next year or so.

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Ok, so I've decided to build an armoury that consists purely of weapons the British army have used over the past 20 years.

The ones I'm most interested in are the L129A1, the L119A1, or the C8, think I'll go for the SFW version over the CQB, the L115A3 and the P226 (I forget the British Army's designation)

Anyway, for the C8 and the L129 I need help deciding on what rifles to use as a base gun.

There are a hell of a lot of AR platforms out there but which would be best for custom builds like these?

The C8 is more or less an M4, but which ever one I go for needs to be compatible with the Diemaco receiver, so I'm thinking the G&P might be my best bet. Though I've not really considered the CA version, I think that might be another contender. I don't have any personal experience with them, so does anyone have any input on this?

Does anyone have a C8/L119 that they've custom built?

I know that the L129 is based on an L7, which is based on an AR10 and I've noticed that CA also sell a DMR that actually retails under the name of AR10, so I'm thinking that'll probably be the best thing to use for an L129. But there's also the vast array of SR25s which would probably make suitable base rifles as well... Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone have an L129?

Any suggested specs for either rifle? I think the C8 I'll just use as a regular AEG 350 fps, tightbore etc etc. I think the L129 has to be a DMR really, there's no other role for it.

What does anyone think? Any advice for me or anything?

Anyone know what rails I'd need for the L129? I think compatibility might be a good place to start, 'cos if the base rifle I choose can't take all the things I'll need to make the final gun then I'm going to have to pick another base rifle.

Most important question - Which one should I do first?! I think I might do the L115A3 first, 'cos I've been dying to get a sniper for ages. Though my brother might get an M4 soon, so I might have a C8-to-be sat right in front of me at some point.

To get started though, I need to get rid of this god damn M14, can't someone just buy it, please?!

All input appreciated.

Cheers.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Yeah the CA AR10 is a 7.62 body. Plus it's an AR10, which is actually what the L129 is. PLUS it's about two thirds the cost of the G&P lol.

It'd definitely between the CA AR10 and some sort of SR25/M110, but it definitely won't be the G&P one because the cost is too stupid.

G&G do an SR25 but I despise the trades. Ares do an M110 but Ares are a bit crap and I think there's also the A&K, which are also crap.

I think out of them all the CA seems like the best choice, but I'm not sure how to rate CA, are they good? Bad? What's their general reputation?

• Supporters

The G&P SR25s are discontinued (apart from their MagPul one), this includes receiver sets and everything, I've been looking literally a few seconds ago.

For the C8, I would start with a G&P M4A1. All you would need to change would be receiver, stock and magazines.

G&P used to make a C8 receiver, but it's discontinued now. The stock and magazines are easy to find.

For the L119A1, I believer that Nutster has/built one.

I would suggest using an ARES SR25 receiver for the L129A1, mainly because they're ambidextrous. If you're worried about trademarks, then I good luck. Maybe wait for the HK417 to be released and use the receiver from one of those (will give the fire mode trademarks correct, or almost correct).

The rails I'm not sure about, maybe URX rails will do the job, if not, I think MadBull may make the correct (or at least very close) to the ones you want.

The stock and pistol grip are easy to find.

The L115A3 would be easiest, as to be honest, looks the same as the AW .338, maybe lose the muzzle break at the end. Other than that, they're the same, no?

To start first, do the L115A3 as you don't have a sniper and want one. Makes sense to me.

• Supporters

The L115A3 and the AW .338 are exactly the same gun, L115A3 is simply the British Army's designation.

The HK417 actually is out now, Land Warrior have it available for purchase, I think they got UK exclusivity. Action Hobbies have it on pre-order still, though it might be out there too, I'm not sure.

Either way, the HK 417 has a raised top rail, whereas the L129 doesn't, so I don't think it'd make a suitable base rifle.

Though I suppose I could use the lower receiver from the 417, I'll have to wait a while to check on VFC vs TM/G&P/CA compatibility.

I had it in my head that the rails were Noveske, but I'll have to check up on that. To be honest I've never really looked much into the L129 until I decided on this armoury project plan.

I just think it sounds complex enough to feel like it was worthy of my time by the end of it. I just wish someone would make a 6x ACOG for airsoft. D=

Speaking of which, since there isn't a 6x ACOG, what do people think my next best alternative is? A regular 4x ACOG, or some sort of traditional "sniper scope" type optic?

I'm quite upset to hear that the Diemaco receiver has been discontinued, is that something you can say with 100% certainty?

I'm still sold on the CA AR10 as the L129 base rifle, I just want someone to give me their opinion on CA's reputation because I have no idea. To me they're pretty underground, I don't often hear much about them.

• Supporters

I knew that :)....

I didn't think of that, not sure if the lower would fit onto a different brand/type upper.

VFC external parts are compatible with G&P external parts (or at least, M4-wise they are), emailed WGC Shop and Red Wolf about that already for my build.

The bit I'm stuck on now is colour (gun grey rather than matte black) and receiver-gearbox compatibility.

I'd say a regular 4x ACOG, it looks pretty much the same, and you won't need 6x for airsoft really.

Well, it's out of stock everywhere, and WGC have it labelled as discontinued - but then it's still on G&P's website, so it may be worth sending them an email.

It's out of stock on Land Warrior as well, but you could email them too and ask.

No idea, I read a few reviews of their SR25 (all on US forums though - and they're convinced the ARES is good (nearly all ARES SR25 reviews have been good)).

The general order (best to worst) of SR25s seems to be: ARES, G&P, G&G, CA, JG, A&K.

Other than that, not heard good or bad about CA.

• Supporters

For the C8 you want to be starting with a 10 inch m4, the heavy barrel extension from Perr Mike or others needs a cqb barrel to give the 16'' total length. G&p maybe... even though you don't like them but it comes with the stock too.

Sling adapter wise you can use the black hawk one, they use magpul BAD levers too now I believe. The stock can be the old style or a CTR. Grip is a storm grip- G&P and Guarder make them.

You'll need the diemaco front sight too, army code made them but it'll have to be 2nd hand, but I think Perr Mike is going to start making some soon too.

For the l129a1, its impossible to make a 100% replica as the 7.62 MRP upper isn't available in airsoft form. Everything else is doable apart from the 6x a cog but they also use S&b scopes can't remember which but I'll find out when I'm back on a proper PC

• Supporters
ed,dave taylor does a g&p c8 diemaco sfw for £360,rail cover,grip,flash hider suppresor,c8 carry handle,10 lows and 2 mids.and obviously the stock and body.

I'd completely forgotten Dave can do me one. £360 isn't a bad price either.

Thing is, I'd actually rather build it up myself over a period of time because it's something I'll feel a sense of achievement from completing... But it's tempting to just get Dave to do it... I think I'll message him about where he finds the parts.

For the C8 you want to be starting with a 10 inch m4, the heavy barrel extension from Perr Mike or others needs a cqb barrel to give the 16'' total length. G&p maybe... even though you don't like them but it comes with the stock too.

Sling adapter wise you can use the black hawk one, they use magpul BAD levers too now I believe. The stock can be the old style or a CTR. Grip is a storm grip- G&P and Guarder make them.

You'll need the diemaco front sight too, army code made them but it'll have to be 2nd hand, but I think Perr Mike is going to start making some soon too.

For the l129a1, its impossible to make a 100% replica as the 7.62 MRP upper isn't available in airsoft form. Everything else is doable apart from the 6x a cog but they also use S&b scopes can't remember which but I'll find out when I'm back on a proper PC

Cheers Marksman. Don't suppose you know anything about the MRP uppers ever being available in airsoft form? If there's a chance there might be one in the future then I might just wait it out for a while. If I do the L129 last then it might just've been long enough for some new info to surface about it, perhaps.

I reckon it'll probably take me about a year per project if I pace myself realistically and don't spend too much in one go.

Though I'll probably get impatient, or carried away lol.

L115A3 is definitely first on the list though. That and a Sig, 'cos I'm going to need a pistol if I'm getting a sniper.

• Supporters

Ed, taking a year per gun, you'll get impatient. I was going to do that with my M4, but I'll probably be buying all parts next week or the week after :P.

• Supporters

Most likely it won't be made I'm afraid, there's not a huge demand for them really... although G&P did make the 5.56 version so there's a little hope.

I forgot to say, I'm pretty sure its a 16'' barrel on the 129 too so your best bet for a starting point is an SR25k. G&p and A&K both do/did them.... CA might too? It'll have the right barrel length and a URX rail-whilst not the correct one, it has no delta ring and looks similarish apart from the base of it and not being a one piece upper. Its probably the closest you'll get anyway :D

This is an airsoft one, not perfect but looks close enough.

3b1df9c8.jpg

And the rifle it was based on (from that royal marines in afghan program on a while back.

93dca0ba.jpg

• Supporters

Photos aren't showing for me.

Coming up with a small icon but no photo.

• Supporters

Just been comparing photos of the AR10, SR25 and the L129A1 and I have to admit that the SR25 is a lot closer aesthetically.

The AR10 has a sort of rounded upper receiver like the M4 and M16, whereas the SR25/M110 has a sloped, or angled upper receiver which looks a lot more like the L129, the other grooves and ridges in the receiver are also a lot more similar to the SR25.

I think the Ares M110 is now my best bet. I just need some pointers on which RIS, barrel and flash hider to get and then, so long as compatibility issues don't rear their ugly head, I ought to be alright with the rest of it.

Since the C8 is likely to get done before this, as my brother wants a regular rifle to skirmish, what optics is the SFW used with? I know the Canadians use Elcans, do we use the Spectre DRs, ACOG, Aimpoints, or what?

• Supporters

Just be aware that the Ares lower is very different as it has full ambi mag release and bolt catch etc. Barrel is ~16'', no sure on the flashider.... it could be the same surefire as on the more recent l85's

As for c8 optics, elcan spectres, acogs (both with docters), aim points (comp m4 and normally on the shorter barreled one.) and I think some kind of eotech, not sure on that though.

• Supporters

The ARES may well be alright as a wall hanger, it'll likely eat it's own guts within a few rounds actually firing though and trying to make it in to shoot like a DMR sounds like my idea of airsoft hell. If you want an L129 that's actually accurate just sit on the plan for now. People have made examples that've looked fairly close, but that LMT 1-piece upper is an absolutely crucial component to a truly accurate replica and nothing currently out there really does it. G&P already make the 5.56 MWS as well as SR-25s with seperate uppers and rail systems, so they're the strongest candidate to release one in the future.

An L119 is going to be substantially easier. It's not easy to get all the right parts but it is absolutely possible, in contrast to the 129. You can also use Colt or entirely blank lowers, there's picture evidence for both. Optics wise I've seen EoTech 552s and ACOGs (making sure you get the right type of course) but that's from fairly old pictures, not sure what they're using now-a-days. I'd highly recommend making an account on UKAZ if you want an accurate SFW, they've got a whole thread full of just L119s and another entirely separate one for UKSF loadouts.

• Supporters

My time to shine :P 

Whilst what I say most likely is repeats of stuff already mentioned I may aswell put it all into one post.

C8/L119a1

Base gun - Any 10" ris m4 variant (g&p might help if your going with the c8 body) preferably rear wired to stock tube, will save you having to buy a ris, and rear wire. The body isn't overly necessary (good paint job will hide any trades) so maybe leave it til later on?

Accesories - Starting from the back you'll need;

Stock pad (Guarder or track down a real steel one

Old school stock (Ca, TM, etc, etc)

Sling loop (Type B style, or recently blackhawk)

Storm grip (guarder/g&p)

Diemaco C8 body (g&p)

4x Acog (g&p, china clone, etc) or Diemaco DIS

Reinforced front sight (Armycode/custom)

16" extension (Armycode/Perr_mike)

Personal Choice

PEQ box (2's/15's)

Torch (Scoutlight Element/Surefire)

Railcovers (KAC/any you like)

Foregrip (Tango down Long,Short/any you like)

Sling (Issue L85/Blackhawk/any other)

Mags (Pmags/M4)

Think that's everything B)

• Supporters

That's very helpful, thanks a million.

I have yet to see a photo of the DIS, I might google it now.

On the topic of magazines, in most of the photos I've seen, as well as other people's builds on other forums, Emags seem to be the trend, not Pmags.

Did you make a typo or have I just been looking at the photos wrong or something?

• Supporters

It's looking like the C8 will be on my plate shortly, my brother's picking up an M4 with the intention of turning it into an L119 and it's been put on me to do the L119 creating.

So soon I'll be getting the G&P M4 Commando from LWA, which has the 10.5 inch barrel and the correct stock from the off. I've just been chatting to Perr Mike on UKAZ (thanks CK) and he's possibly the friendliest person in the world! Lol. So I'll be getting the barrel extension soon too. Not bothering with the DIS because they seem to cost a mad amount, so I'll be looking for an ACOG, the KAC RIS, I think I need the 7 inch one... Anyone know where to get it from?

Grip, butt plate won't be an issue.

Biggest hurdles now are the correct front sight and the receiver. Anyone know where I can get them?

• Supporters

The KAC rail isn't as popular in replica form as it used to be, since RIS designs has moved a long way since those first came out. I'd imagine that the majority of retailers would still stock at least one type of airsoft version though, under various different guises/manufacturer names. The one on my L119 is by Guarder, cost about $110 from eHobby and is rather nicely made; like I say though there's a lot of companies (ranging from uber-cheap ACM up to fairly high-end) who do/have produce/d them over the years, so I'd just say to check in rails sub-sections of all the retailers you're considering buying the other parts from to combine on shipping. Length wise I've only ever seen the 7" version for M4A1s and the 12" for full length M16s, so there's not much chance of mixing those up.

No idea about receiver unfortunately, don't think anybody produces the Diemaco ones any more. There was a company that did make them briefly a long while back that also did the reinforced gas block/A-frame sight, think it might've been Army Code, not certain. On the most recent SFW builds I've seen people have used moulding materials to basically construct the extra material on there, then sprayed it; not too difficult a job really, it's not a complex shape you're adding on. The standard AR-15 block is acceptable though, there's pictures of them used so I just stuck with it for my build, easier overall, hell I used a blank lower and a RS M16A2 pistol grip, I had picture references for all and it does make it somewhat 'less' of a 119, but it's still correct. I'm not in to impressions (SF or otherwise) so I just didn't care enough to spend a lot of time making it dead on to the generally accepted 'standard'.

• Supporters
No idea about receiver unfortunately, don't think anybody produces the Diemaco ones any more.

G&P might. WGC says they're discontinued, but they're still on the G&P website, and other retailers say they're out of stock rather than discontinued.

Other things that WGC say are discontinued (e.g. the G&P SR25 and M110) have been removed from the manufacturer's website as well, which is why there's a chance the receiver you're after isn't discontinued.

As Land Warrior Airsoft stock it (out of stock at the moment), try sending them an email to see if they can order any in. On G&P's website, it's listed as "in stock": http://www.gp-web.com/en/productspop.php?pid=2860.

• Supporters

I noticed earlier that Wolf Armouries are "Out of stock" as well, though it was listed as being £100! I'll drop Land Warrior a message when I pick up the M4 and enquire about it.

The rare as buggery M16A4 receiver I was after a few weeks back was only listed as about £80 in most places. I really can't afford to pay for any of the major parts until September-ish when my loan comes through, my brother's paying for the rifle off the back of me promising to pay for all the other parts and letting him use it once it's finished lol.

I'll just have to hope and pray I can pick one up from somewhere at some point down the line. Perr Mike said he was getting hold of some custom gas block/front iron sights in the future at some point, going for about £65 each, so I'll get my foot in the door early for one of them.

• Supporters

I'll ask him about the receivers when I message him my address for the barrel extension. To be honest I'm not too bothered about the cost of anything airsoft related, if it's under £200 I'll mostly likely save up and buy it, so long as it's not something really tiny and stupid like a hop-up nub lol.

The line has to be drawn somewhere though... Like, £1300 for an Inokatsu P226 kit is a little mental. I don't think I'd ever pay more than £1000 for an as-it-comes gun, paying more than that for a TM Sig body kit is truly insane.

i dont think they make the scope for the 129 "i.e. a cheap airsoft one" the 129 is also very front heavy without the scope also did i miss read a grand for a sig?

Archived