Choosing a new gun.

AK47frizzle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Don't get a famas, it's much too dated now to be worth it. Get something more up to date with readily available spares.

They're uncomfortable to hold, plastic and creaky. Mags are also expensive unless you convert stanags, optics are also a no-go.

(I own one.)

You're much better off sticking with a g&g rifle, albeit not the gr4 g26 because it looks hideous due to it's knock-off magpul furniture and mags.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Oh my giddy aunts, that's a pig ugly gun. Don't do it! You're a young man, you've got plenty of time to try something horrible just because it's different...

Oh my giddy aunts, that's a pig ugly gun. Don't do it! You're a young man, you've got plenty of time to try something horrible just because it's different...

really? i think it looks cool....

But anyways, i'm moving away from the gr4 and using it as a last resort. I really dislike m4's despite my comments about the gr4.

Since my budget has increase to around £230 - 250, i can finally move away from the gr4 and i do not want to go back to it. I cannot emphasize enough how much I absolutely hate the bloody, absurd, complete bollocks M4.

With that being said, I looked further into Tm guns and ICS rifles

Ed simply just told me to get what i like.

• Supporters

Get a metal ICS AK74

• Supporters

I have had parts on order for just over a month for my tm famas, no idea when/if I will be getting them.

I have a g&g raider, fantastic gun, great range, and feels very solidly built. Like I have said in the past, there is a reason why m4's are popular, I wanted a l85 or l86 when I started, ill stick with my m4 now ;)

Recommending ICS AK74/s/u also. Cracking guns,better than the CYMa/Dboys Aks(In my opinion) and cheaper than the super expensive LCT and VFCs. Also you have more knowledge of V3 gearboxes and AKs.

Tm unfortunately don't really have anything worth buying for that budget,barring pistols and sniper rifles.

hmm... i am now looking into the ICS G33.

Seems very practical and uses m4 mags.

The only place to get it two tone is fire-support but it's out of stock there.

Two tone red ICS G33.......... http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ics-g33-black-and-tan-airsoft-gun-aeg

was also thinking of this http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=GE0635II

My two cent is that if you do go with an M4 your options are almost limitless in terms of customisation. Not only that it's a great start into learning about the internals etc. After a few upgrades I am going to buy a much longer outer and inner barrel plus a scope so I can have a DMR set up. I could literally make the change from a short barrel CQB style M4 to a long barreled sniper style rifle in minutes, even between games at a skirmish.

It's that kind of availability and range of parts that are on offer for the M4.

• Supporters

Actually I've heard a few bad news stories about the G33, but that was a while back when I was looking for my G36. The gun was new on the market. Frank @Fire-Support is an aproachable bloke on the phone and they are the main ICS supplier in the UK, so he may well restock sooner than planned if he knows you want one. Maybe talk to him about teething troubles with it, see what he says.

The SRC G36 platform is good if it's Gen III, but I didn't see that on the Wolf Armouries listing. Also it's quite expensive even for a Gen III. My KV was about £150 from Airsoft World. If you do get the SRC, I'd change the hop rubber for something stickier, like Systema or Firefly, or Madbull Shark blue. A couple of other things to bear in mind are that the skeleton stock versions can only take a mini battery & it's a tight fit in the handguard. People often lose the front body pin cos it gets loose with all the in/out to swap batteries. You can get locking pins, but they're 'kin outrageously priced. I went with a bolt & plastic wingnut for cymbals (I'd sell you one actually cos i had to buy a set). T'other thing is that the air seal nozzle is unlike other G36's - more like an AK but longer, which means that unless we can come up with someone's guaranteed successful experiment with another one, we are stuck with the two types SRC make: plastic or aluminium. Fine, just get one of them then? No, currently the onl place in Europe that stocks the plastic one is gunfire.pl and they're out of stock. Neither they nor SRC are returning emails... The only ali ones i can find for sale are in the US and none of the sellers ship to the UK...

What for though? Because the nozzle on the guns from AW has a tiny hole in it to help reduce the FPS to 328, but I want 348 FFS!

It is if you can afford all the extras, You'll need a decent battery and a charger plus mags.

Personally I think you may be going for things above your means. Airsoft is an expensive sport when you factor in everything. You obviously want to look good with a decent rifle but have you even got any other gear?

In my experience, the difference between a £120 - £300 gun is non-existent when put in the hands of a starter. The exact same is to be said with Clay Pigeon Shooting, Hunting, Rifling etc. I'm lucky because I seem to have this natural ability to work well with guns, perhaps it's my countryside/farming background.

I guess what I am trying to say is that no one will think any different of you and you certainly won't be able to shoot better than the likes of me or someone else as experienced with firearms. I'd save the money because the differences are marginal if non-existent.

• Supporters

I was about to ask why don't you do your Three shoot's but your U18 Doh!

Most folk on here are not keen on King Arms. (I like them myself) I haven't had a KA for a while so I won't comment on the internal's, The External's are pretty much Just falling short of KWA/G&P & VFC.

Everyone above is being super awesome by sharing their opinions and experience with the weapons you are proposing but to be honest, no one has really discussed what is right for you buddy!

If you start off cheap, and that doesn't by any means equal a shit gun (G&G has been mentioned quite a few times) you will be able to do simple things like upgrade the barrel, hop rubber and the hop nub for cheap and have a gun that out ranges some of the more expensive guns. It's all very subjective but I can hand on heart say more expensive does not mean better.

Everyone above is being super awesome by sharing their opinions and experience with the weapons you are proposing but to be honest, no one has really discussed what is right for you buddy!

If you start off cheap, and that doesn't by any means equal a shit gun (G&G has been mentioned quite a few times) you will be able to do simple things like upgrade the barrel, hop rubber and the hop nub for cheap and have a gun that out ranges some of the more expensive guns. It's all very subjective but I can hand on heart say more expensive does not mean better.

Hmmm... what's right for me....

I personally don't like M4's because of it's looks and it's overused. (Almost everyone had one at NCIS airsoft)

I like a DMR based rifle. E.g. M14 EBR. But Ed told me just because it's a DMR, doesn't mean it'll perform like one. I am aware of that. I've been on the G&P M14 DMR socom as well as the CYMA M14 EBR for a while now. It's not possible for me to get the G&P, and the CYMA is £279 two tone. But no idea what the Hop is like.

I also like rifles with a bit of weight, e.g. EBR. And i intend to use a DMR as a battle rifle as well, keeping the FPS below 350.

Well, the most I can say is, I like DMR based rifles. E.g. HK417, M14 series, SL8 etc.

I can see where you are coming from actually. Personally I love the M4 it's a proud benchmark in the real world and airsoft world. However I wouldn't say you get any points for originality. However it's not hard to make it original – I rock a realsteel Aimpoint CompM4 red dot site on mine, it seems to get a fair few comments and people always wanna have a go with it.

If I was you mate and believe me we're similar because we are both indecisive it seems. I would choose a platform that allows you to change it drastically further down the line. I'm not at all sure if the G36 styles allow that – I'd appreciate it if someone could pick up on that. A great rule of thumb is to never spend much on new equipment when entering a new hobby.

I think we do like different things though. I love my M4 because the body is made out of Polycarbonate/ABS (can't remember which) which means it's lightweight. I read people on forums such as this bang on about realism but the vast majority haven't even used real firearms. The realism aspect isn't one I aspire to because even at the top is quite far off. Perhaps those Systema PTWs come close but personally I'd rather bake my own turds and eat them for breakfast than pay that much.

The reason everyone may seem to have an M4 is because of the huge internal and external customisation potential. Again, I've said it a few times that I still class myself as a noob but – it's all in the hop.

I must say though, I would never have a DMR setup that doesn't act like one... that's just unnecessary barrel length and could rule CQB out.

I can see where you are coming from actually. Personally I love the M4 it's a proud benchmark in the real world and airsoft world. However I wouldn't say you get any points for originality. However it's not hard to make it original – I rock a realsteel Aimpoint CompM4 red dot site on mine, it seems to get a fair few comments and people always wanna have a go with it.

If I was you mate and believe me we're similar because we are both indecisive it seems. I would choose a platform that allows you to change it drastically further down the line. I'm not at all sure if the G36 styles allow that – I'd appreciate it if someone could pick up on that. A great rule of thumb is to never spend much on new equipment when entering a new hobby.

I think we do like different things though. I love my M4 because the body is made out of Polycarbonate/ABS (can't remember which) which means it's lightweight. I read people on forums such as this bang on about realism but the vast majority haven't even used real firearms. The realism aspect isn't one I aspire to because even at the top is quite far off. Perhaps those Systema PTWs come close but personally I'd rather bake my own turds and eat them for breakfast than pay that much.

The reason everyone may seem to have an M4 is because of the huge internal and external customisation potential. Again, I've said it a few times that I still class myself as a noob but – it's all in the hop.

I must say though, I would never have a DMR setup that doesn't act like one... that's just unnecessary barrel length and could rule CQB out.

infact, i've kinda decided to get the ICS galil, solid gun, would require not much upgrading. Not sure if ARM or GR version. It have an AK gearbox and AK parts which I am used to. ARM comes with 2 mags, bipod and carry handle which will come in handy. GR version allows me to have a red dot sight on it :s

Not sure which one is better.

• Supporters

The G36 platform is customisable: 3 stock body shapes; 3 stock barrel lengths with matching hand guards, also large hand guards for more battery space; 3 stock flash hiders + plain muzzle; aluminium RAS available in 3 stock lengths; stock bipod; various types of top rail or carry handle with or without short rail; 2 stock magwell types; C drum mag, P mag, translucent bullet mags, hi mid & lo cap plain mags + any STANAG/M4 mag; 2 standard stocks, 1 with battery space + Crane Stock adapter; stock hand guard grenade launcher assembly or the same launcher, or any other, can be fitted under an aluminium RAS or to one of the various lengths of under rail available for the nylon hand guard/s - that's just the gun before you consider using a custom barrel length like mine (509mm), custom body pins, sling mounts, foregrips, flip up sights, red dot with or without magnifier - flip to side or fixed with or without 45deg iron sights, or scope in and/or on top of the carry handle/top rail... then there's the V3 gearbox, so any upgrades made for AK gearboxes fit, except air nozzles; variety of upgrade hop units; oh yeah, and at least 2, maybe 3 different mag release types; oh and also the mags can be fitted together by their lugs, or not, as you choose...

Anyhoo: ICS Galils - look great and are probably just as good as ICS AK's. I've only held 1 and i can't remember whether it was the GR or ICAR AR - it felt good, but is made loose and rattly like the real steel. IMO the best looking is the ICAR MRS but it's £350. Still, the ARM is £330 - IMO that's too expensive for what you need right now, so if your heart is now set on a Galil, get the GR.

I still think you should get the ICS AK74, but also have a look at the CYMA CM.048M (it's a departure for CYMA in that it isn't a TM clone, it's a VFC clone - now bear in mind that the CM.028 series TM clones are better than TM AK's and you'll realise why I'm going to get one of these .048 series sometime soon-ish) - but also check this out - what you need to arrange is for somebody with a UKARA to import it and spray it two-tone before they sell it to you... not so difficult to arrange on a forum full of us, eh? Bear in mind that Poland is in the EU = no import taxes.

But what about the DMR...?

Swap the hand guards for an aluminium RAS, or the polymer one.
Fit a folding vertical foregrip.
Fit a rail mounted bi-pod at the rear of the under barrel rail so it folds forward.
Take the front sight pillar and flash hider assembly off and add a 100-120mm suppressor.
Fit a Madbull 590 x 6.03mm TBB (not the PSG-1 type, the ordinary AEG type from Pro Airsoft Supplies).
Fit a side mount rail but take the rail of the top and replace with a longer one.
Fit a cylindrical red dot sight and 2-3x magnifier.

Consider using short AK mags.

Bob's the bloke that shags your mum while your dad's in jail...

The G36 platform is customisable: 3 stock body shapes; 3 stock barrel lengths with matching hand guards, also large hand guards for more battery space; 3 stock flash hiders + plain muzzle; aluminium RAS available in 3 stock lengths; stock bipod; various types of top rail or carry handle with or without short rail; 2 stock magwell types; C drum mag, P mag, translucent bullet mags, hi mid & lo cap plain mags + any STANAG/M4 mag; 2 standard stocks, 1 with battery space + Crane Stock adapter; stock hand guard grenade launcher assembly or the same launcher, or any other, can be fitted under an aluminium RAS or to one of the various lengths of under rail available for the nylon hand guard/s - that's just the gun before you consider using a custom barrel length like mine (509mm), custom body pins, sling mounts, foregrips, flip up sights, red dot with or without magnifier - flip to side or fixed with or without 45deg iron sights, or scope in and/or on top of the carry handle/top rail... then there's the V3 gearbox, so any upgrades made for AK gearboxes fit, except air nozzles; variety of upgrade hop units; oh yeah, and at least 2, maybe 3 different mag release types; oh and also the mags can be fitted together by their lugs, or not, as you choose...

Anyhoo: ICS Galils - look great and are probably just as good as ICS AK's. I've only held 1 and i can't remember whether it was the GR or ICAR AR - it felt good, but is made loose and rattly like the real steel. IMO the best looking is the ICAR MRS but it's £350. Still, the ARM is £330 - IMO that's too expensive for what you need right now, so if your heart is now set on a Galil, get the GR.

I still think you should get the ICS AK74, but also have a look at the CYMA CM.048M (it's a departure for CYMA in that it isn't a TM clone, it's a VFC clone - now bear in mind that the CM.028 series TM clones are better than TM AK's and you'll realise why I'm going to get one of these .048 series sometime soon-ish) - but also check this out - what you need to arrange is for somebody with a UKARA to import it and spray it two-tone before they sell it to you... not so difficult to arrange on a forum full of us, eh? Bear in mind that Poland is in the EU = no import taxes.

But what about the DMR...?

Swap the hand guards for an aluminium RAS, or the polymer one.

Fit a folding vertical foregrip.

Fit a rail mounted bi-pod at the rear of the under barrel rail so it folds forward.

Take the front sight pillar and flash hider assembly off and add a 100-120mm suppressor.

Fit a Madbull 590 x 6.03mm TBB (not the PSG-1 type, the ordinary AEG type from Pro Airsoft Supplies).

Fit a side mount rail but take the rail of the top and replace with a longer one.

Fit a cylindrical red dot sight and 2-3x magnifier.

Consider using short AK mags.

Bob's the bloke that shags your mum while your dad's in jail...

Well, going for the ARM version and shove a TBB in it. Gonna convince my parents that it's got extra things that come with it and would not require as much tinkering as my AK. I think they'll go with it... If not straight away, then i'll just wait till they can buy me it later.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I appreciate it alot for not going in a raj with me when I got picky, especially to Ian and Ed.

i would say to not bother with CYMA under CM048,like the 045 and 040. They have pot metal lower receivers and TM clones,held with lots of nasty screws not great. If you're going to buy a CYMA AK,the CM048 and the CM028 are the best ones.

Cm048 is made of stamped steel,shitty steel,but even the Chinese can get that right. Solid as a rock,performs pretty well. Make sure to maintain the body to RS levels,though,They can rust easily if cared for badly.

CM028 is...I've had very bad experiences with it. CYMA's Q/C isn't amazing,quality of their guns vary. Some 028s,like Ian's turned out great,others,like the one's I've handled,are utter pieces of garbage.

The worst CYMA AK is probably the CM031. Crappy TM clone. Doesn't have the lovely neo magnet motor like the 048,crappy pot metal parts,wobby as fuck and performs meh. I've used on as a tech project. Basically replaced the whole gearbox,hop and barrel. Still was not satisfied with the externals though.

ICS AKs are pretty good,barring the AKS74U. The hop unit is a vert bad design which is fragile,which is a shame since the gearbox and externals are fantastic. I'd say,in general,ICS AKs are same level as CYMA Cm048 in quality,maybe a bit better in the external department.

ICS Galils are Much better than AKs,I'm glad you've settled for one. V3 gearbox,lovely construction,performs very nicely,doesn't have shitbox hop.

Stick a PDI or layalx tightbore in there and you have a lovely battle rifle.

But remember,you get what you pay for. Always. Airsoft hold very close to that statement.

And on the popularity of the M4-I still have no Idea how you could love a V2 gearbox.

• Supporters

The only thing I dislike about my ICS AKS-74U is that I cannot for the fcuking life of me get the forward section to break down off the receiver, which is a pretty serious problem for sure, especially since it's so old and has just died... but I think that's just my one. Stock, they are underpowered for woodland, but I reckon the 6.02mm TBB I have waiting to go in will sort that out and, if not, the Turbo 3000 motor will definitely be able to pull the next spring up.

What do you dislike about them, UTJ?

Archived