Classic Army CA90 / P90 / CA049P

Classic Army CA90 / P90 / CA049P and probably many other names it seems.

At first the battery did not fit and having received a much smaller battery that at least does fit we find it does not shoot properly.

Not having one before we are being rather cautious not to break anything.  Instructions were unclear how many turns to wind the

magazine so we gave it one turn and it fired a few BB's.  3 turns and it fired a few more but still not many.  Gave it 5 turns and when

fitting to the gun we heard what we now know, was the magazine unwinding itself rapidly.

From some googling it seems although it's a 300 capacity mag it's likely to shoot 30/50 in one go and may need winding again?

Or have I got that wrong?

Anyway,  I tried winding slightly less and slightly more and it still unwinds when fitting to the gun, tried fitting it slowly and quickly

with the same results.  Checking the magazine with a strong light and some magnifying glasses I can see cracks all over the

magazine.  Seems like they picked the worst plastic possible for it.

Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks.

The hi-cap P90 mag is by far the worst hi-cap I've used on any platform because it feeds so badly and it's so impractical to wind up. My experience is similar getting no more than 30-50 shots before having to be wound again.

I've switched to TM and CYMA  low-caps so I don't get feeding problems. I do like the "tacticool" dummy rounds inside them as well. Krytac's 50/200 round mag is the unicorn I'm after but what little supply of them there is disappears quickly.

When you said the gun doesn't shoot properly with the smaller battery, are you talking about the feeding problems or a separate problem?

Before doing the MOSFET upgrade, I used this battery in my P90 though I don't know if the Classic Army version has the same amount of space.

https://www.bespokeairsoft.co.uk/big-foot-heat-lipo-battery-2200-mah-7-4c-25c

The manual states 8.4v but the shop supplied at 1200mAh 11.1v and said it works better with 11.1v.

But that battery was too long for the compartment.

11.1v 800mAh sent as a replacement which is fairly small.  The not shooting properly is all down to the magazine I think. It did not unwind

instantly once and it seemed OK although there was only about 5 turns on it so not many BB's.

I did measure it for battery size but don't have them to hand right now. Cable length seems excessive, you need to bunch it up a fair bit

when closing the butt cap.

Any idea where to get the magazines from?  Looking around mostly out of stock or non UK sellers. I did think about ripping the insides out

and just spring feeding them in one straight line but thats sub 30 BB's. 

Do you have any experience of magazines that run in a fairly tight U shape? Do they work or troublesome?

Thanks.

When You wind hicaps it's going to require a lot; typically a few dozen winds. (You'll hear the clicking sound change once you've wound it fully).

I've been out of the P90 game for a while now; could never really get on with them, so I'm unsure on compatibility but these might be a solution:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/novritsch-100rnd-magazine-for-ssr90-p90-gen-2-aegs

Midcap style, so no winding and no feed issues that you get with hicaps.

In addition on the hi-caps (and I caution that I have no particular knowledge of P90 Hi-caps, only the M4, AK, and G3 versions) - the sound of the spring rapidly unwinding usually means that the numbers of BBs left inside the mag are so few that they don't drop into the 'cog' that the spring tensions in order that the 'cog' can then push them up the feed tube of the mag and into the gun. The end result being that there is nothing to stop the cog simply spinning and unwinding the spring that tensions it fully (despite there still being a number of BBs still in the hi-caps feed tube rattling around). That's a terrible description from me, but basically - if you haven't already - ensure that the mag is full, give it a load of winds as mentioned above, and then see if you continue to have problems.

11 hours ago, Annoyed Dad said:

The manual states 8.4v but the shop supplied at 1200mAh 11.1v and said it works better with 11.1v.

But that battery was too long for the compartment.

11.1v 800mAh sent as a replacement which is fairly small. 

I agree with the shop about the 11.1v battery. I assume your model is the Proline, in which case it has a MOSFET so you can run 11.1v batteries without worrying about wearing down the internals more quickly.

You may want to look at the VP Racing 1300mAh 11.1v 3-cell stick battery. Much more capacity and while it's a shorter battery, it's a bit more chunky than most stick batteries so it's perfect for the P90.

Edited by Galvatron

As others have stated: P90 high capacity magazines suck simply because of the way they're designed - you have to remove them from the gun to wind them up. I'd suggest buying what are called 'mid-cap' magazines. These hold less BBs than a high-cap but do not need to be wound-up once loaded with BBs. They will feed BBs until they're (pretty much) empty though the odd few may remain. The only difference with loading these magazines is that you will need a 'speed loader' as mid-caps have no loading window where you pour the BBs in.

17 hours ago, Annoyed Dad said:

Looking around mostly out of stock or non UK sellers. I did think about ripping the insides out

and just spring feeding them in one straight line but thats sub 30 BB's. 

Take a look below - they're all hyperlinked so you can just click on them:

I've never had an issue with swapping different brand P90 magazines between different brands of P90 AEGs as they're mostly the same design IIRC but i'm sure someone can correct me on this if i'm wrong. I can vouch for the CYMA and King Arms magazines both working well but the quality of the magazines from King Arms is much better in my personal opinion.

Hope this helps and i'm happy to answer any questions :)

Edited by MrTea

As above... avoid hicaps for P90.

I have mid & hi caps for mine without any feeding issues from the brands I have, only issue I've found is the fit isn't great on my AR57 which isn't an issue you'll have.

Excellent information, many thanks.

Sadly before I read the comments I ordered a replacement hicaps. Although it was not the one listed so we will see what

turns up. They said any issues just send them back.

If these turns out to be junk I will get the 100 round mag or similar, for the price it's going to be better to buy them than

make them.  The design of those snaking up and down I assume under spring pressure was what I had in my mind to make

but was not sure of how tight a spring could turn.

I will investigate the larger battery also, looking at this 800mAh one makes me think how chocolate bars have shrunk

over the years for some reason.  :)

Daughters looking at some of the outfits so she maybe looking at clubs in the not too distant future, although her working

hours suck due to working in a Hotel.

Thanks again.

OR......(as long as youre not left handed) you could get the M4 hi cap adapter unit. Kinda turns the little SMG into a support weapon... :) 

They seem to be ok, we've had a few issues with the boys one but i think thats mostly down to "dad tech" not being as awesome as he thinks he is. :D (thats me, being shit. LOL) 

12 hours ago, Annoyed Dad said:

If these turns out to be junk I will get the 100 round mag or similar, for the price it's going to be better to buy them than

make them.  The design of those snaking up and down I assume under spring pressure was what I had in my mind to make

but was not sure of how tight a spring could turn.

You're correct. Mid-caps, when loaded, are under constant spring pressure which is what feeds the BBs into the AEG. As these don't have a loading window/port like high-caps, you will need a speedloader if you don't already own one. Personally I run the super cheap plunger style things to fill my P90 mags.

10 hours ago, Annoyed Dad said:

I will investigate the larger battery also, looking at this 800mAh one makes me think how chocolate bars have shrunk

over the years for some reason.  :)

This is the battery I'd recommend depending on whether your P90 has a Deans or Tamiya battery connector. I caveat the recommendation on assuming Classic Army P90 has the very similar if not the same height, depth and width in the battery compartment as the TM clones - I've seen this with Double Bell, JG Works and Cyma.

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/vapex-111v-1300mah-25c-lipo-battery-dean-connector-fitted

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/vapex-111v-1300mah-25c-lipo-battery-mini-tamiya

https://www.socomtactical.net/vapex-11-1v-1300mah-lipo-25c-continuous-discharge-stick/

Depending on the game rules and how trigger-happy your daughter is, it may get you through a whole day's worth of play.

Posted (edited)
OH NO, What have you guys done now... :) More websites that have never popped up on searches and I have an itchy
finger for something basic (spring powered, shotgun or similar) BUT.... of course I clicked the electric tab and have
an urge for some new toys... :)

Last time we tinkered with them were 2 pistols bought from a gun shop that were fairly powerful and my
daughter shot out a lightbulb in the hallway. At least we had safety glasses on that I have seen people with
air rifles shoot and not break them.

Are the budget spring shotguns any good or should I go electric?

PS. It's the Tamiya mini connector in the CA90, forgot to ask her the dimensions.

Thanks. Edited by Annoyed Dad

Ahhh, falling into the rabbit hole time.. :D 

I started with one double eagle  M904G, if youre looking at electric. There's a thread on them if you do a quick search.

Last count on the wall there was something daft like 15 pews. 95% work. LOL.

All bar four were bought as boneyard.

I do find it funny that most airsoft guys i meet have an electric rifle, gas pistol and a spring shotgun/sniper. its like you need one from each set.

Then theres the HPA mob (i've yet to venture into this incredibly deep rabbit hole myself!) i suppose you could class it as gas powered on steroids. :D 

I have a three shotguns. Two have a single barrel and one is a three barrel. The single barrels are fun but the triple? three times more fun. seriously daft. I love it. Its heavy to cock, and both my boys struggle to do it as its a big ass spring inside it (still inside power limits I hope!).

They're cheap and fun. 

12 hours ago, Annoyed Dad said:

Shotguns are generally single or tri-shot with tri-shot being the more common from what i've seen. Tri-shot means they have 3 barrels and shoot 3 BBs at once. Some tri-shot shotguns do have the option to fire 6 BBs.

Spring shotguns are fun but kind of hard work as they have strong springs that you have to pump but tend to be the cheapest, often coming in under £100. The next step up are gas powered shotguns which are incredibly fun. Much easier to rack than a spring shotgun but now you have to buy gas to power them and they can develop leaks over time but it's totally worth it. As for price, you're looking about £150-£200 range new.

I think i've still got my spring shotgun sat around somewhere. Should really get that put up for sale.

Edited by MrTea

15 hours ago, Annoyed Dad said:

Shotguns are fun, I use one in cqb, but you do need to adapt your playing style and, as already mentioned, the spring ones can be a lot stiffer to cock. Gas guns are far easier but those cost more.

A second aeg is always a good idea for those times you fancy using something else, or if the first gun starts playing up.

• Supporters
On 15/06/2024 at 11:37, Egon_247 said:

you could get the M4 hi cap adapter unit.

Except that they're absolutely gopping.

Beware of the MAG 170 round mid caps. These gave my cyma p90 bad midcap syndrome. When full the bb is under so much pressure from the mag spring it makes it shoot at really low power. From memory when I filled these up halfway they worked fine.