Magazine compatibility

DanBow

My daughter bought a box, of 5, Valken branded M4 mid cap mags for her Valken AEG.

Ive just got a G&G GC16 that takes a stanag mag.

I tried one of her mags in mine but there is some fabrictypestuff on one side of the inside of my mag well so it wont go in with out a bit of force. Obviously,  i didnt do that but that leads me to the question . . are M4 and stanag mags different or do i just need to buy the specific G&G mags?

25 minutes ago, DanBow said:

My daughter bought a box, of 5, Valken branded M4 mid cap mags for her Valken AEG.

Ive just got a G&G GC16 that takes a stanag mag.

I tried one of her mags in mine but there is some fabrictypestuff on one side of the inside of my mag well so it wont go in with out a bit of force. Obviously,  i didnt do that but that leads me to the question . . are M4 and stanag mags different or do i just need to buy the specific G&G mags?

The “fabric” is probably there to prevent mag wobble and possibly improve feeding. 

Stanag mags and M4 mags are essentially the same thing, although the reality is that not all mags work in all guns.

Remove the fabric and see if the Valken mags fit and feed.  We use Nuprol, MAG, PTS and unknown brand mags in G&G, SRC and Lancer M4s.

Edited by Colin Allen

• Supporters

M4/STANAG mags are all over the place. I've measured up to 1.5mm difference in front-to-back dimensions across my collection, and, vitally, in the location of the feed.  It's a wonder that any of them feed at all.  Having to add shims, or even file or sand down the mags, isn't unusual.

Generally yes stick to the same brand of mag as the gun. But even then with Airsoft QC it's not always the case that same brand will feed 

Posted (edited)

I bought a G&G GR16 mid cap and it fits and feeds lovely but it's snug. Like, very snug, it takes an amount of force for it to slide in and secure but there's no rattle which I like.

I found the actual one that's supplied with it, it's an M series but seems to only come in high cap,  which I don't want.

I did notice that there is a difference in design in the, what I presume, locking tab/slot.

17130287460263367226328935255648.thumb.jpg.ef9e3f56c8641c817cd08a31bba895da.jpg

17130287888835029500362956749605.thumb.jpg.da9ed42b150cb09ef63ba7d333c70d81.jpg

The first picture is the supplied mag with the little raised bit above the slot and the bottom one is the new mid cap with the raised bit at the bottom. Any thoughts why?

Edited by DanBow
speeling

Something I cannot abide. I like to push the mag release and for the  mag to drop out. A little bit of rattle don't matter,hell when I move everything rattles.

Cut the lug off 😂

2 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Something I cannot abide. I like to push the mag release and for the  mag to drop out. A little bit of rattle don't matter,hell when I move everything rattles.

Cut the lug off 😂

oh my good god no! I hate rattle. That's why I want mid caps. Even my bunch of house keys is one key on one loop with a detachable car key as I don't like bulk, or rattle! lol

I've not noticed any difficulties with mags for my pews, tend to just grab whatever is handy. the only exception to this is my L85A3 which deffo prefers Pmags.

When me and my brother first started Airsoft I bought a Classic Army M4, and he had a G&G. My rifle would only feed from Classic Army magazines, and his G&G.. and a single Nuprol PMAG.

I think it's really hit and miss as I know other people have said their rifles will feed from any magazine! So I'd say buy a few different types and see what feeds best.

Failing that buy a TM Recoil and never look back .. 😂