What brand gives you bigger bbs..5.98

The other day I used some bio bbs for the first time and they almost made my AEG too hot for the site; chrono was 348 on Vorsk 0.2 bio new and sealed in bottle. I was gob smacked as my M4 junker has never been hirer than 305, so with a jump in fps over 40 and easily another 15ft added in range I am very curious why? I should add that I shared the ammo and their guns fps shot up to.

Even though it says 5.95 on the bag, I have a feeling they’re bigger maybe 5.97 or even 5.98.

Vernier callipers are on route to me to check what’s left of the bottle but until then, does anyone have any other ideas why the massive increase in performance and does anyone know a brand that sells bbs bigger than 5.96 on purpose ?

Unless you've got a higher-end set of calipers coming then you might not get an accurate reading.  I went through a few from £5 to £25 in the end had to spend £150 on a decent set.  I highly doubt any brand would want to go bigger than 5.95mm.  My guess is they aim lower for better fitment.  Most BB's I measured this past couple of months were 0.01mm lower than stated.   Some brands do state +/- 0.01mm.  Heard tolerance is a bitch with injection molding. 

In regards to your high FPS did you change anything else?

My Aldi digi callipers have served me for years.  However, if I REALLY needed to measure something, I'd use a micrometer and make sure that I'd tested it with a gauge block recently.

I have known really crap cheapo rubbish BBs to exceed size tolerance, but I doubt you'd want to use them, Bulldog and similar.

7 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

In regards to your high FPS did you change anything else?

Well I did add a new hop and nub but I chrono my own gun at home before any site visit. Also the 2 other guns I shared with, all chrono hire fps as well.

47 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

Could it be the surface finish is different so your hop setting needed to be different?

I hadn’t thought about surface finish but these are vorsk, usually they’re  triple polished.

I prefer to use the rule of thumb... rake through my tub of mixed & try and find the same shade, I know the whites are .3's & I know the off whites are .2's anything else is shot down my garden.

Not scientific but it works for me.

Posted (edited)

Anyone know any brand/model of BBs 5.96 or larger, apparently they do exist.

Edited by Muzzer

On 09/03/2024 at 00:55, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

My Aldi digi callipers have served me for years.  However, if I REALLY needed to measure something, I'd use a micrometer and make sure that I'd tested it with a gauge block recently.

I have known really crap cheapo rubbish BBs to exceed size tolerance, but I doubt you'd want to use them, Bulldog and similar.

yeah, micrometer for the win. calipers can be influenced. Ive accumulated 3 or 4 sets of calipers, from an old vernier one, to a plastic £5 set, which works well enough but cant be trusted.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - micrometer arrived and tested 10 bbs and all were 5.95…. No doubt. So it’s either weight or finish. Im hoping to get access to some analytical balance scales from my local engineering college and they have a microscope. The mystery continues…

11 minutes ago, Muzzer said:

Update - micrometer arrived and tested 10 bbs and all were 5.95…. No doubt. So it’s either weight or finish. Im hoping to get access to some analytical balance scales from my local engineering college and they have a microscope. The mystery continues…

That's quality!  

Also I appreciate your tenacity.  Look forward to your results.  

8 hours ago, Muzzer said:

what one did you buy in the end?  did you get some gauge blocks with it

I bought some digital callipers but while I was showing them off at work one of the lab techs pulled out a nice old set of metric micrometers without gauge blocks but where known to be spot on. The size is definitely not the problem. I’m going to test this weekend the weight but accuracy of scales is an issue but could be indicative of a problem

Yer I wanted to use lab scales (analytical balance) but they weren’t where they were supposed to be. I have a feeling both sets are in quarantine awaiting calibration. However im persistent.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, well I’ll give you all possibly my closing results lol. It’s been a while but there was school holidays and I still needed to get the kit back from calibration.  The end result was all 30 balls sampled were the right weight, they were the right size with a finish nearly the same as the standard variant. The rest of the bottle was fired off, again chronoing near 1.13j but I noticed a diminished changed half a mag in so Chronod gun again with the same site chrono and the gun dropped to 0.97j. Completely puzzled I stripped the gun to find that I have a split gearbox, not the good kind, the catastrophic kind. So this ends my investigation 😂. If it wasn’t for the fact my daughters gun over performed on the magic bbs I would wonder if the split gear box played a part.

Im exhausted.