JG G3 overspinnininning

Egon_247

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Oh hive mind....I've done it again. Lol 😁

Ok, bought myself a jg g3 cos, you know, why not? 

Had it for a grand total of a month and I'm Into the gearbox, reshimmed it as it was a bit shite and greased it up.

All good. 

Bought a gate Pico aab and installed it but pretty much straight away got overspin. Which is odd. As I thought active breaking was supposed to do away with it?

The COL can't be worn as it's probably had less than 1000 rounds through it.

It's got to come apart at the weekend anyway as I've just got a metal rack piston, head and cylinder head for it, a maple leaf n omega blah blah etc. 

Short stroking? Probably needs a couple of teeth off at its a vented cylinder, I'd imagine.

Pic of offender...😂

PXL_20230925_175042417.jpg

• Supporters

That's a weird one. The higher current flow through a MOSFET might encourage overspin, but as you say, that one is specifically designed to prevent it.

The PicoAAB doesn't have any programming, right, it's just fit-and-regret?  I don't suppose "Fit a Perun AB++ instead" is going to be a popular option? ;) 

Yeah, I'm leaning towards removing it for something else. Not sure why I wanted active braking but figured I'd be like the cool kids.😂

I'll see what it looks like after the weekend of stripping it down. 

• Supporters

Assuming the col etc is functioning as intended, it is possible that a weaker motor might struggle to brake effectively.

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

The PicoAAB doesn't have any programming, right, it's just fit-and-regret?

Yep, the exact breed of intermediate mosfet that i tend to advise people reconsider as active braking alone in a gun that doesnt need it can have a nasty habit of stopping the box too soon and causing lockups.

That said, the op has evidently dodged that particular bullet.

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I don't suppose "Fit a Perun AB++ instead" is going to be a popular option? ;) 

Definately the better move.

For budget conciousness anything without active brake will do, i'm a fan of the nanoasr as it shares wiring with the warfet making for an easy upgrade path but that's mostly personal preference.

For function concious you want at least an ab++/warfet with adjustable precocking

In between those i dont see much point, either you cant turn off the ab which might make the gun unusable, or you can turn it off in which case you could save money and get the cheaper option.

If you didn't have overspin, I presume it's feeding twice or somesuch, before you put the MOSFET in, but you do have it afterwards and that's the only thing you have changed, that's very odd.

Even if the AB is not working just adding a MOSFET shouldn't cause it on its own.

Are you using the same battery as before?

Yeah, it runs on a 9.6v Life. Same battery. 

I have a bad boy 30k neodymium motor on the shelf ...might not put that in it just yet 😂😂😱💥

To be honest, it was fine before hand, I just put a mosfet in it because it was cheap and I like fiddling with things (stop it....😂)

6 hours ago, Egon_247 said:

Not sure why I wanted active braking but figured I'd be like the cool kids.😂

It's a slippery path you're taking, next thing you know you'll have a pkt of mint humbugs in the glove compartment, a pocket tidy in your sports jacket & tram lines in your denims.

1 hour ago, ak2m4 said:

These aren't the cool kids you want to hang around 🙂

Tbh I never got in with the "in" crowd at school, seemed like too much hassle. In fact, it still does. 😂

Although some of the cooler kids (and one grumpy one) appear to have some super awesome motor towers....👍😁

1 hour ago, gavinkempsell said:

It's a slippery path you're taking, next thing you know you'll have a pkt of mint humbugs in the glove compartment, a pocket tidy in your sports jacket & tram lines in your denims.

Um, er, no, noooo, noooooaaarrrghhh..

Oh wait, I have an Alfa Romeo, so I need something in the glove box to keep me awake waiting for the AA .😂😂

Oh wait. ...😂😂

PXL_20231012_200333935.jpg

12 hours ago, Egon_247 said:

Tbh I never got in with the "in" crowd at school, seemed like too much hassle. In fact, it still does. 😂

Although some of the cooler kids (and one grumpy one) appear to have some super awesome motor towers....👍😁

Those motor towers were a sod to get made, should be some slightly thicker ones coming with the option of EZO bearings for those who want to rpm over 40,000, although the normal bearings will probably be fine.

The reason I mentioned about AB is that every so often I hear a brushed motor failure story from a customer, not just the motors I sell but other brands also.  99% of the time it seems the culprit is Gate's Adaptive AB setting.  I've not really looked into the issue though but good to keep in mind.

Edited by ak2m4

On 11/10/2023 at 20:02, Egon_247 said:

Ok, bought myself a jg g3 cos, you know, why not? 

Pic of offender...😂

PXL_20230925_175042417.jpg

As a bit of an aside - apologies - that's a lovely looking gat. Do you mind me asking what particular model is it (looks somewhat different proportions to my hastily googled 'JG G3' hits!), and is that real wood or some form of wood effect wrap/plastic?

Aw, cheers bud. It's the mc51 version. With a ps90 barrel extension on it.

I wanted the full size one so I could put the bipod on it but this came up cheap so I got it. It was on my list of "pews to have that aren't an m4". 😂

It's vinyl wrap. It's a bit light but it seems to look the part. Bit fiddly with compound curves though 🤯

As with all my hobbies, I don't keep much standard, hence the fiddling. 

@ak2m4 I feel your pain bud. I wish I had all the tools in my workshop to make things like I did in my apprenticeship but alas, one day it'll happen!

The box is here at work with me so I'll play when the boss goes home but I think you're right with the AB. cool kids toys actually work....😂😂

Edited by Egon_247
I can't spell

57 minutes ago, Egon_247 said:

It's vinyl wrap. It's a bit light but it seems to look the part. Bit fiddly with compound curves though 🤯

Well, looks like you have done a great job! I'm now scouring the usual suspects for stock - so far come up blank!

Oddly, I got it at b&q. Not your normal place to get wrap but I was getting some other housey type bits and saw it. It's for kitchen cabinets...😂

I WAS thinking about using alcohol inks on it (found a young lady on YouTube using them on stainless steel tumblers) as her effect was brilliant. I just thought I'd try the wrap first. 

I'm thinking an oldskool M16A1 would look great with the plastic furniture clad in that wrap as well....

In actual fact i spotted what looked like an A1 with wooden furniture in an episode of 'The Continental' on amazon a week or so back (cracking viewing if you haven't seen it yet).

So......boss was actually impressed how bloody complex the gearbox was.😂

It's deffo the MOSFET, the piston,head and cylinder head were changed, short stroked by two (3 would have been better) and it's still doing it. Col is fine too. Ill get a different mosfet I think. 

• Supporters

thinking a bit more about this.

the jg's i've worked on are exclusively ak's, but one thing i did notice was that in stock form they do seem to naturally halt at what would otherwise be considered a good precocked position.

one wonders if jg boxes align the col to intentionally cause this (basically mechanically timing the box for precocking bu disengaging the contacts later in the cycle), which means they'd be prime candidates for the niche case of a mosfet (without ab) allowing more current flow to cause a tad of overspin.

that said, i ran such a jg on 11.1v with a non ab mosfet for years with zero issues, the only reason it got upgraded to add controlled precocking is i happened to have a gate warfet sitting looking for a home.

one of those mysteries like how they seem to run so much smoother than the notionally "better" boxes you'd find in an lct or e&l.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

You'll love this....

A shim. Little bit much diameter and it was holding off the cutoff lever ....😂😂😂😂😂😂😱

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Aaaah!  Bloomin' airsoft, it's a wonder that anything ever works.

Indeed.  I spent time yesterday evening filing down several surfaces of a steel COL to persuade it to fit and do its job in an LCT gearbox.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.