VFC M249 Thread

Nick G

Gamed mine today , on green gas obviuosly , God they are just so much fun ! 

Got some cracking kills with it at good range. The gas block issue is definitly resolved with the new mag catch, not a single issue since I fitted it.

Box mag has arrived just now. Bizzarley no request for duty, so happy days. 

Off to order CO2 capsules now !

I've ordered a pack of 10 from amazon, only a couple of £ more than the ones someone linked too, but free delivery

On 11/06/2024 at 21:47, CausesChaos said:

What box mags every one running?

Mines HPA'd and the A&K 1500 is as usual being temperamental at feeding. 

Looking at the Classic Army M249 Drum Magazine 1200 box as an alternative but not sure it'll fit even with the same filing the A&K was subjected to.

As a follow up to this. On my AEG 249 I run a box mag which uses the classic army internals in the original box. The ca internals are way superior , but the fitting on top of the mag won't fit the bracket on the gun.

Those 88g CO2 canisters are going to be a tight fit in the box mag I think, they are mahoosive !

27 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Those 88g CO2 canisters are going to be a tight fit in the box mag I think, they are mahoosive !

I assumed it would be twin 33gram ? as you’ve said I’m not sure you’ll get an 88gram in there will you ? 

1 minute ago, JimFromHorsham said:

I assumed it would be twin 33gram ? as you’ve said I’m not sure you’ll get an 88gram in there will you ? 

88 gram one would certainly be very tight. 33g might make more sense, assuming the thread size is the same .

6 minutes ago, Nick G said:

88 gram one would certainly be very tight. 33g might make more sense, assuming the thread size is the same .

the wolverine wraith uses 33gram ( or 12gram w/ adapter) for a buffer tube , the 33’s are threaded the same as the 88g .

interested to hear how you get on , 33gram are mostly ridiculous prices here in U.K. , sometimes up to twice the price of 88 ! 

It'll be interesting then. I do have a genuine 'large' fabric mag too . I'll have a play about and see what'll fit. 

11 minutes ago, JimFromHorsham said:

the wolverine wraith uses 33gram ( or 12gram w/ adapter) for a buffer tube , the 33’s are threaded the same as the 88g .

interested to hear how you get on , 33gram are mostly ridiculous prices here in U.K. , sometimes up to twice the price of 88 ! 

Okey dokey, 88g are too long to fit the box. However I have a couple of spare box mag shells from aeg 249's so I'm going to have a play about with extending one a couple of inches . I've got 10 88g capsules, so I'm damn well going to use them Lol. 

If that works , I'll use smaller capsules in the cloth mag. 

First thoughts on giving it a try, despite what the instructions say, fit the line to the regulator before screwing in the co2. It was an absolute bastard getting the line in under pressure. 

Bloody hell the thing rocks on co2 though. Only dry fired it so far , but absolutly no signs of rate of fire drop off with extended bursts. It feels like you could dump an entire mag in one go with no issues .  Will experiment at the weekend . Rate of fire felt a little faster too, and it kicked harder, although they may be my imagination. I look forward to other folks thoughts once they have tried it.

I can see it being great for winter games, will be interesting to see how it compares on the chrono.

On 02/07/2024 at 19:19, Nick G said:

Okey dokey, 88g are too long to fit the box.

Shiiiiiiitttttt.....

My 88g cartridges arrive today...

How much larger are they than the box? 

On 02/07/2024 at 17:28, JimFromHorsham said:

33gram are mostly ridiculous prices here in U.K. , sometimes up to twice the price of 88 ! 

FFS...   

Are there any other sizes of CO2 cartridge readily available that don't cost a fortune?  Are all threaded cartridges the same thread?

And moving away from the Co2 hassle....

After fitting the para stock, I found the bottom pin (the one holding the rear of the trigger group and bottom of the stock together in the reciever) was extremely loose.

I tried squeezing the square clip that sits over the reciever together, hoping it would apply more tension to the pin....   it instead snapped in half.

Had to bodge it by fitting 2 "E" clips in the grooves on either end of the pin. Disassembly will be a pain in the arse now,  but at least I won't lose the pin in the middle of a game now.

I was hoping to try the gun on its new CO2 source this weekend,  but if the cartridges will not fit, then i may be screwed =/

They are a good inch too long, probably a bit more.  I think the thing with the 33g ones is that 'cos they are used for life vests suppliers feel they can charge more for them !  I'm looking into 25g ones to see if the thread size matches, if they do then 2 of those at a time should do the job. I might end up having to order a single one to try. 

I still plan to extend the box mag though so I can run the 88g ones . Will try and have a go at that next week.

Strange about the loose pin, both of the pins in mine are very tight, I always have to tap the upper one out with a punch when I strip for cleaning. At least removing the stock completely is a pretty rare occurance.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, JimFromHorsham said:

You can indeed fit 2 at once. 

Thanks for that link , it's a shame that every other size seems so much more expensive than the 88g ones . Would still need to confirm thread size matches the M16 threads on the 88g ones

5/8 unf thread seems to be a close match for M16 , close enough to fit I think. 5/8 appears to be one of the more common thread sizes, although still not very common.

Edited by Nick G

So it went from me scrolling this thread 2 days ago, to finding one on discord, to having it turn up next week.

You lot are a bad influence...

My questions:

- Out of the box mods - seems like the mag catch is a must do?

- Is the stock hop set up ok? Did people do the 3d printed spring thingy?

- What spares are recommended to keep on hand - nozzles like most gbbs? Does it need an NPAS for the green gas mags?

- What are people using to carry the box mags?

Welcome to the addiction that is the GBB M249 , they are soooo much fun !

Mine is still running completely stock internals and so far I'm getting away without the NPAS that I've got but not fitted yet. Although my local site does just work to the legal limits so I'm ok up to 1.3j .

I had an issue with the gas block from the box mag popping loose (STANAG is absolutly fine) and the replacement mag catch has fixed that. It seems to be luck of the draw, some have had the issue, some have not.

Stock hop is working fine for me, range is decent and it's hopping the .30's I run in all my GBBs easily and will go heavier. Not done the spring thingy mod as tbh I am happy with a bit of spraed in a support weapon.

So far I've not had anything fail, so spares wise I've not bought any. However do make sure you follow the 'rules' on cocking it before installing the BB mag which reduces the chance of nozzle damage. 

I think we all only run one box mag at a time so dont need anything to carry another. The green gas box mag hold ALOT of gas, I've never emptied it in a game. Bear in mind it's limited ammo , so short bursts which also help cooldown .

On 04/07/2024 at 17:15, Nick G said:

They are a good inch too long, probably a bit more.  I think the thing with the 33g ones is that 'cos they are used for life vests suppliers feel they can charge more for them !  I'm looking into 25g ones to see if the thread size matches, if they do then 2 of those at a time should do the job. I might end up having to order a single one to try. 

I still plan to extend the box mag though so I can run the 88g ones . Will try and have a go at that next week.

Strange about the loose pin, both of the pins in mine are very tight, I always have to tap the upper one out with a punch when I strip for cleaning. At least removing the stock completely is a pretty rare occurance.

it is frustrating that most sites dont list the thread size on the cartridges.  i dont want to buy some to find i cant use them due to the thread being wrong...  and working night shift means it would be a real pain to organise shipping if i need to return them....

as fot the pin...  i might have been a bit overly dramatic.   the pin doesnt have any lateral play, but it is loose enough that it freely slides out of the reciever.  looking at the parts list on VFCs website it looks like i may be missing a retaining clip..  but the Eclip mod i have done is doing the job, so im not going to worry about ordering a new one

On 04/07/2024 at 17:26, JimFromHorsham said:

On 04/07/2024 at 18:08, JimFromHorsham said:

Might be worth having a look here , 45gram 5/8” threaded capsules , 

45gram

thanks for the links,  i will probably be ordering from one of these links in the coming weeks...   but as i have a stock of 88gs, i am damn well going to use them up first...  even if i have to replace the end cover of the box mag with gaffer tape for a few games.   though i do have a UBAC shirt that has a ripped sleeve,  so i might even try salvaging the material to make a cloth cover to fit over the box and hide the CO2 capsule overhang.  probably wont work, or will look shit,  but if it lasts a few games until i deplete the 88gs then so be it

My solution. End of a spare aeg box mag shell cut off and fitted to the VFC . Uses 3 self tappers to hold it on. CO2 unit fits fine, will need to check if it'll take 2 x 88g ones or not. 

Basic, functional and not too messy.

image.thumb.jpeg.5c923714f725615345af32fc933efe88.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a4c717810204467877ccebac097f6d85.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.318eb01302c95c1d8b7b0f15fdc57842.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone gamed the CO2 mag yet ? If so how did it perform ?

I'm playing on the 28th, so mine will get a try then.

Hi everyone , so just got one of these, So I'm having issue with box Mag gas.tube, it's leaking at the conector point, it's very flimsy and even comes off with the nut fully tightened,  has anyone cut the hose and been able to successfully re seal? Cheers

On 27/10/2023 at 18:11, Nick G said:

Spent a while fettling the fit of the box mag today. Shortened the air line more and filed out a slot for it on the top of the mag. Nicer fit and the bullet belt is much easier to fit now too. Also removed one round from the belt as it was a bit too long. Mine is made up of deac rounds with the top one from the vfc belt so it fits the 'wiggler' 

Hi mate, did you have any issuesnwith gas leaking after shortening the hose? I'm experiencing leaking gas around the hose connected to the part which connects to the gun and can't seem to seel it any ideas?

4 hours ago, John boy said:

Hi mate, did you have any issuesnwith gas leaking after shortening the hose? I'm experiencing leaking gas around the hose connected to the part which connects to the gun and can't seem to seel it any ideas?

The point at which the hose goes into the connector block that then fits into the magwell ? If so, then , no, not had any issues there. I did have the other end of that hose pop out of the push fit connector on top of the gas tank a few times early on. I cant remember if I cured that by shortening the pipe and cutting it properly square or if I replaced the fitting on the tank, but it doesn't do it now .

I've never had the block apart so i'm not rure of exactly how it's sealed. If it were me I would considder having a word with the retailer you got it from , or email VFC .

Pfft... the jokes on Iain, we can buy them fully auto.

Ok, they only fire 6mm BB's but that's irelevant.