Looking at getting into GBBRs.

Currihane2

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

20 hours ago, Duff Beer said:

As far as getting the most consistency out of a GBB I’d suggest using gas without lubricant in it such as Ultrair to give consistent hop, but obviously it’ll require a bit more maintenance as a result.  

All Green Gas has lubricant in it, thats what makes it Green Gas, otherwise its just Propane.  Its also pretty vital to keep the seals on your mags good or they will leak.  Even running pure Propane you need to add your own lubricant 

31 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

All Green Gas has lubricant in it, thats what makes it Green Gas, otherwise its just Propane.  Its also pretty vital to keep the seals on your mags good or they will leak.  Even running pure Propane you need to add your own lubricant 

On top of that, pure propane stinks whilst green gas has no decernable odour 

Actually Ultrair has some lubricant in it, according to the product details I last looked up.

Abbey Sniper Brut gas seems to be the most easily available properly dry gas around.

Abbey Predator contains lubricant, but when I asked in the Comments on one of the negative airsoft videos why Luke uses that (and therefore will get through to the hop rubber), he replied that the amount is small and he doesn't worry about it.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

On 02/08/2023 at 12:44, THE FNG said:

My 2 cents;

Kwa mp9.

I've had one for years and it is one of my faves. 

Fairly light but sturdy. Nice rate of fire if needed. Small enough to be easily wielded for tight cqb and still has nice enough range. Despite being small, there's still plenty of room for attachments if you want to run a tacticool look with suppressors, peq/torches, optics, grips etc.

Because its small, if you decide a gbbr is not for you, you could still use it as a secondary, albeit it's a bulkier secondary than a pistol.

Its quite loud and looks proper sexy.

It's how I'm currently using my mp9 until I can get an mp7 (retractable stock > folding stock for running it in a SMG holster, plus I do prefer the mp7 as a gun). It's lovely to have something I can take out and shoulder for times when the bolt action isn't practical.

I run a WE M16 with 20rnd mags. It's a good little rifle and a lot of fun. If anything goes wrong then parts are cheap and plentiful. Most problems occur when people "upgrade" it. One part is suddenly much harder so something else needs replacing, and them something else and so on... The M16 is probably as unreliable as gbbrs get if you read the comments. But I have founds it's fine apart from one broken nozzle due to excessive full auto during an oh shit moment. A lot of information is parroted along the lines oh "I've heard but never actually used one". Is it an MWS? Hell no. Is it a lot of fun? Hell yes!

The KWA skorpion is also great fun for something different. 

On 01/08/2023 at 13:01, Emergencychimps said:

After the amount I have put into Gas with the results I have had etc, the GBLS DAS isn't that expensive! 

This my experience too. Which is why I ordered a GBLS!

my 2p worth:

Getting an MWS is like getting a Macbook.

It's easy to know what you are getting and you don't need to fiddle with it. If something breaks, changing bits out for apple bits is best, as some other 3rd party bits aren't always as good (but some are better than others)

VFC is like a PC - a bit more going on but if you're into swapping bits out and finding out what gels together well. If you crack the combination, you're onto a winner as there is more choice out there without having to pay a small fortune for the equivalent MWS/Apple part (like a 416 body for example).

The OP didn't mention if he usually does woodland or CQB but here's my thoughts on GBBR's. I have a few:

GHK SIG 552, GHK AKMS, TM AKX, VFC M4A1, VFC MP5SD, AGM M4, WE PDW, WE SCAR L, WE M4 CQB, Marayama ACP9K G Pro, TM MP7 x 2, KWA Scorpion, KWA Mac11, TM Siaga 12K and a Beretta SMG from 1987 which is more of a wallhanger. I did have a TM MWS but sold it a while back when I fell out with GBBR's but now think I need another or the DE clone. I've also got a couple of the GBBR 10/22's but I'll discount them from this waffle as they are set up for sniping.

I don't use GBBR's at woodland sites during walk on days simply because I'm outgunned or more accurately out ammo'd. I tend to use my TM recoils, KWA T10 or GBLS on those days and get a similar level or recoil to keep me happy.

When I use GBBR's it's mostly CQB sites and I don't run anything over .28 tracers as there doesn't seem to be a need. If I need more range the  I just get a bit closer. I tend to carry at a minimum 6 mags when using GBBR's as anything less means I'm half fighting and half reloading after running away.

I also carry at least one pistol speed loader and a fake grenade that is actually a gas can so I can top up my mags if needed.

I've fired quite a few RS rifles over the years and I'd say the recoil on a GBBR is similar to a 22 LR round. Some GBBR's do a better job of increasing the realism, for instance, the TM MP7 has the bolt smashing into the rear, right next to your ear and this increases your perception of the noise from firing but to everyone else it just sounds like a GBBR.

Firing hot can be an issue and I've found that using the Vorsk gas either number 6 on hot days or number 8 on colder days gets me through the chrono without issues. By using the different numbers I don't need to worry about fitting Npas's although in the WE GBBR's and 10/22's I've fitted Npas's.

Looking at reliability, the TM GBBR's all work perfectly if kept stock and you want to use up to .28's. If you decide to go for heavier ammo then you go into the modding world and it can go either way until you hit the right combination. What works for some people doesn't always work for others.

My GHK's both work very well stock and I'd put them as the same reliability as my TM's. Some people have had issues but my only issue has been with the GHK mag base plate falling off and loosing a spring and follower which was $8 to replace but still a pain in the arse. 

My VFC M4 again works all the time and it's a Gen1 version and I bought a bunch of spares, ready for it to collapse in a heap but I haven't needed to use any of the spares yet. The MP5SD took a bit of work and aftermarket parts to get it firing consistantly but now it's a steam train.

I've slated WE GBBR's before and all mine are Gen 1 closed bolt version and work ok'ish in good weather but the Mags are a terrible design. It's a clam shell design with the worlds biggest square o ring that you will need to eventually fill with silicon and wait 24 hours to see if it still leaks. I wouldn't recommend WE as a first GBBR simply because you could come away with negative feeling about GBBR's at the end of it.

My KWA scorpion is awesome and the MAC 11 will either work fantastically or vent all the gas depending on how it feel that day. 

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned maintenance but GBBR's require cleaning now and again to stop the working parts getting gummed up from dust, twigs, leaves, bits of chopped BB's etc. It's good practise to wipe the bolt and upper recess where the bolt travels down and re-lubricate along with cleaning the barrel and hop up chamber at least every couple of games. Just like the RS versions, grease attracts dust etc which can effect the function of a GBBR.

I was going to mention that the Marayama ACP9 G, the MPX and the up and coming ACP9 are all excellent little SMG's with the Marayama taking 50 round glock mags but you will probably end up buying a MWS :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.