Looking for spring sniper advice.

HannaiB

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all.  

I have read the forums in depth so before I start I just want to clarify - I'm not some new Airsoft enthusiast who is interested in sniping and going all Mark Whalberg. (Not that that's inherently wrong - each player plays their own game but if the advice is against it...)

What I am looking for is a bolt action rifle.  Spring powered ideally, which can be used for back garden plinking.  I'm looking to get my kids into shooting at a very basic level and, if they enjoy it I can then progress to Airsoft if they enjoy it or onto a range if they decide they just enjoy target shooting. 

I am on a budget too (planning a wedding and although my missus is very forgiving and understanding, dropping a fortune at this moment on a more upmarket rifle is out the question). £100 is about my upper limit.  

I know I could buy a CYMA ZM51 for that a cheap scope and it's job done.  But, again I'd rather not buy something that will break in a few weeks and if my kids enjoy shooting then I want something that can develop (we can upgrade and tinker with) which will be good for their mechanical knowledge.  And when they're older they can take up Airsoft then if they're interested like mentioned. 

So basically I am looking on here second hand for a bolt action spring sniper that's not going to break immediately, for about £100 with scope. (I've approached a few sellers but most don't respond/post items)

Any advice from the community about what to buy or avoid would-be greatly appreciated as you have the knowledge.  And any questions sent my way I'm willing to field.

Cheers 

I know its not quite the brief but consider the jg bar 10. They are about the £100 and are a vsr clone. It's been a staple bolt action in the hobby for long time. They arentnbad from the box and of tou wanted to upgrade parts then there's plenty of scope and if not they usually sell well on the pre owned market.

Don't you need a license for an air rifle these days?
A 2 tone IF would surely be better?

3 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Don't you need a license for an air rifle these days?

The OP's profile says they used to play in Scotland so assuming they're still north of the border then yes they would

• Supporters
16 hours ago, HannaiB said:

£100 is about my upper limit.

And two-tone if you're buying retail (I assume you can't provide the seller with a defence).  That really doesn't leave a lot of choice, but I'd definitely avoid the ZM51, it's a disposable plastic-fantastic that doesn't even appear to have an adjustable hop.

Trying to buy used can indeed be a frustrating experience, and I wouldn't trust any uPgRaDeD gun without trying it out first.  Even if you do find a private seller who's willing to sell to you without a defence, you may find that postage takes a big chunk out of that budget.

I don't think there is a realistic new option that stays within that budget when you include scope and postage and two-toning.  The closest I can come is a day-glo Well MB-03 from bbguns4less at £100 including postage.  If you create an account and drop it in your basket then you may get a 5% discount code after 48 hours or so.  I'd caveat that by saying that the trigger and/or stopper will fail if you upgrade the spring, but left as stock they're usable as backyard plinkers.  I would strongly recommend against throwing money at one, but barrel stabilisation and sorting the air seal can pay dividends, and if you want to go further you could drill and tap in a DIY TDC hop.

• Supporters

The other option would be a gas airsoft pistol as there are better sub £100 options available, but then you have the cost of gas.

The ASG Mk23 in two tone is £68 on Patrol Base, and although I've never used one they seem to be well regarded. I'd assume it has the same super long trigger pull that the Tokyo Marui one I own does though....

There's a few guns in this price range, but I can't vouch for which ones are good and WE seem to have rebranded 28 times since I last bought anything lol. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.