Buying kit in the US

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have 4 days to kill in San Francisco in September. Not a holiday, but I have to go for...reasons.

Was planning to visit some stores in the wider bay area (SF has nothing itself) with the hope of picking up some RS plastic bits (i.e. Magpul or similar Stock(s) and AR pistol/vertical grips) and maybe some playing gear.

Anybody bought anything like that back in the hold luggage? Any problems with airpost security/customs?

Ta

If they decide (however inaccurately) to class them as "firearm parts," the FAA will require you to declare them at check-in and put them in your hold luggage. They may ask you to complete form 4457, which is basically just declaring the airsoft bits are actually airsoft bits.

Replica firearms, including those classed as toys, also have to go in checked baggage, so you've already got that down 👍

Those points aside, the best bet is to check out the actual airline(s) you're flying with - as they basically all have their own policies on carrying RIFs and such. Provided their policies are followed, you shouldn't have any trouble -- and if you're asked at this end on your return (highly unlikely) you've presumably got UKARA registration or another suitable defense to give them 😊

TL;DR: you should be fine - double check what specific policies/requirements the airline(s) you're using may have, otherwise just stick in in the hold and don't joke about guns on board ;)

Edited by TacticalWaifu

Thanks. I'm not planning anything like RIFs etc - just some RS bolt-on accessories that are trickier to source in the UK.

And the 5.11 HQ & clearance outlet is also within reasonable travel distance, but I can wear a new set of Taclite pants on the plane home...🙂

Dude... spend the time & money at a range firing as much real steel as you can.

Buy the airsoft stuff online and get it posted.

Just my opinion.

27 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Dude... spend the time & money at a range firing as much real steel as you can.

Buy the airsoft stuff online and get it posted.

Just my opinion.

Depends on whether he wants stuff he can't get over here... plus I'd imagine the returning with it in luggage is to save for the losses felt on international shipping, duties, and taxes -- so "just buy online and get it posted" may be quite a bit more expensive in this case.

3 minutes ago, TacticalWaifu said:

Depends on whether he wants stuff he can't get over here... plus I'd imagine the returning with it in luggage is to save for the losses felt on international shipping, duties, and taxes -- so "just buy online and get it posted" may be quite a bit more expensive in this case.

Not to mention ITAR. There are almost no US retailers who will ship anything firearms related out of the US, no matter how innocuous they appear.

16 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Not to mention ITAR. There are almost no US retailers who will ship anything firearms related out of the US, no matter how innocuous they appear.

Indeed -- and some dual-use (not just defense) items can come under EAR and face similar restrictions -- technically things like camp gear and masks shouldn't happen, but it still happens now and then.

• 3 weeks later...

Evike is crap.

OP—hope you enjoy San Fran while you’re there! You can get some killer eats if you’re in the mood.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.