Mullered mag release

Dan Robinson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Compress_20230305_180249_9130.thumb.jpg.bc079a78417f4ae88380d01d4ab20c25.jpg

Trying to get this out.  It looks like it's been stripped in the picture, but in reality, it's equally unlikely to have had a head. 

Any idea how get this off?  Gun is a Devgru M16 DG4 A2. 

Tah in advance. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

• Supporters

Gently tap a slightly oversized torx bit in to it should probably do it ? 

Have tried an assortment of those and no dice.  Surprisingly hard metal for something that scratches so easily. 

Merged edit. 

Figured it out..... 

Bolt catch is held in with a pin, then the mag release needs pushing all the way in so you can unscrew the arm on the other side. 

Guess it's marginally better than a tiny little screw to strip. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Have tried an assortment of those and no dice.  Surprisingly hard metal for something that scratches so easily. 

Merged edit. 

Figured it out..... 

Bolt catch is held in with a pin, then the mag release needs pushing all the way in so you can unscrew the arm on the other side. 

Guess it's marginally better than a tiny little screw to strip. 

That's new (to me anyway), there's always some fecker wanting to reinvent the wheel lol

It's the same method as on my Double Eagle M906, so there are similar wheels elsewhere 😋

I was fooled by it too, thanks to @Adolf Hamster for pointing out to me how it worked.

Dan, have you tapped out the pin above the trigger?

50 minutes ago, Tackle said:

That's new (to me anyway), there's always some fecker wanting to reinvent the wheel lol

Real steel style, my GBBR's are the same.

14 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Dan, have you tapped out the pin above the trigger?

Yes I had for that one.

Just got it out now.  Needed a bit of brute force and ignorance. 

All the gears are fine, so I think the nasty noises were just the engagement height.  

Time to reassemble and battle that damn anti reversal lever. 

I think I kept the shims in the right places. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

29 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Real steel style, my GBBR's are the same.

Indeed; unsurprisingly, real steel M4s do not rely on tiny screws to keep the mag release in place :).

20 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Yes I had for that one.

Just got it out now.  Needed a bit of brute force and ignorance. 

All the gears are fine, so I think the nasty noises were just the engagement height.  

Time to reassemble and battle that damn anti reversal lever. 

I think I kept the shims in the right places. 

You can get a clip that will hold the ARL in place while you reassemble; https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/gearbox-tools/gearbox-installation-hands-kit

Thanks for that.  Next order I place there I'll get those. 

My next learning target is to figure out what I'm doing that results in the gearbox locking when I reassemble it.  I did it to my Specna, now this one. 

Last tech to work on it seems to have done a tidy job.  No excess greese, although the red wire is mighty close to the motor shaft. 

When I can reassemble these things reliably, I might drill the casing and reroute it.  Or perhaps use a slightly thinner guage wire. 

Not sure what mosfet has been fitted either.  Has the label "AAUG09". So will hit Google while I have a relaxing bubble bath 😁

Edited by Dan Robinson

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

Thanks for that.  Next order I place there I'll get those. 

My next learning target is to figure out what I'm doing that results in the gearbox locking when I reassemble it.  I did it to my Specna, now this one. 

Last tech to work on it seems to have done a tidy job.  No excess greese, although the red wire is mighty close to the motor shaft. 

When I can reassemble these things reliably, I might drill the casing and reroute it.  Or perhaps use a slightly thinner guage wire. 

Not sure what mosfet has been fitted either.  Has the label "AAUG09". So will hit Google while I have a relaxing bubble bath 😁

That sounds like a Gate serial number. Do you have a photo of the mosfet?

23 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

That sounds like a Gate serial number. Do you have a photo of the mosfet?

I think you're right looking at the logo on the back.. Compress_20230305_221856_6640.thumb.jpg.51f8bfc73339c0d7593101d7f913ae0c.jpgCompress_20230305_221856_6846.thumb.jpg.4ad86d641467bb5d3b5ae401a1fa8196.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

I think you're right looking at the logo on the back.. Compress_20230305_221856_6640.thumb.jpg.51f8bfc73339c0d7593101d7f913ae0c.jpgCompress_20230305_221856_6846.thumb.jpg.4ad86d641467bb5d3b5ae401a1fa8196.jpg

Gate Nano ASR.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.