Specna SA-C12 CORE not feeding. Now gearbox rebuild.

Dan Robinson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just had a successful mag dump into a bucket.  Don't have a chrono, but feels good. 

Question now is do I have the guts to strip it back down and add some greese.  I guess it comes down to how likely my previous problems were down to missing teeth on the gears.

7 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Just had a successful mag dump into a bucket.  Don't have a chrono, but feels good. 

Question now is do I have the guts to strip it back down and add some greese.  I guess it comes down to how likely my previous problems were down to missing teeth on the gears.

@Rogerborg has suggested to me spooging some chainsaw oil into the shell and silicon spray up the nozzle as a good way of lubricating a gun without doing a gearbox opening.  The question becomes... Which chainsaw oil is best for the job?  And where to spooge exactly?  

image.png.313bcc976af1b997e8dc2946bd1f3540.png

• Supporters
On 12/03/2023 at 18:15, RostokMcSpoons said:

a good way of lubricating a gun without doing a gearbox opening.

I've checked with him, and he says it's not a "good" way, just a way.  He reckons he mostly did it because it would make Skylaar on Reddit go shouty-crackers, but it hasn't caused any problems. Any fairly heavy oil should do, through any holes that give you access to the gears, used sparingly - he just had some low fling chainsaw oil to hand.

47 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I've checked with him, and he says it's not a "good" way, just a way.  He reckons he mostly did it to because it would make Skylaar on Reddit go shouty-crackers, but it hasn't caused any problems. Any fairly heavy oil should do, through any holes that give you access to the gears, used sparingly - he just had some low fling chainsaw oil to hand.

When you say 'him' I'm guessing .... Luke?

Well I thought, sod it, I need to learn.  So took it apart, being careful with the shims (drew the gears on a piece of card, and marked the top and bottom, placing the shims accordingly. 

Gave a modest smear of silicone grease on all the contact points. Then decided to augment the piston oring.... Which was looser than a wizard's sleeve.  So just to piss Mr Luke off, I carefully (because I'm a plumber and spin this stuff out of my rear orifice) wrapped ptfe in the groove of the piston Under the oring. 

Now hear me out.... Nothing pisses a decent plumber off more than seeing ptfe on the threads of a fitty.  It's retarded.  However, carefully wrapped around the pipe BEHIND the olive is a good way to fix a leak. 

This is what I did to the pew pew. 

How effective it is we will see at chrono next week. 

All reassembled and I'm very pleased with the sound and feel.  So hopefully the hop uniit, bucking and the rest of what is essential to slinging small plastic balls at random strangers is on good order. 

Also rather pleased that I managed this all in the space of 90 minutes, with distractions.   That sodding anti reversal latch was the worst.  Especially when the trigger pinged out as well taking its spring with it. Definitely going to get some of those clips! 

17 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I don't know much but I know the o-ring is designed to be loose fitting 😬

Balls.... Guess I'll have to take it apart again 😁

Do we know why it needs to be loose?  The air seal was shyte between Piston and cylinder head. 

Now pondering whether the gearbox will take 11.1v batteries too LOL. 

I'll let an expert comment tbh, I should've kept my fingers off the keyboard.  I should have said 'believe' rather than 'know'

Don't do anything until someone else tells you to.

All I can say is, all the piston heads I have dealt with have been the same, with the loose o-ring

When I say the seal was rubbish, I'm looking at it from my professional perspective of leaking natural gas and things going boom. 

To my mind there should be no way of pushing the cylinder all the way down.  Which certainly wasn't the case.  Although there was a definite resistance.  

I was wondering what the holes in the piston head were for though. 

Edit*

Might have found the answer... 

https://youtu.be/RCUB6_JS76Y

Edited by Dan Robinson

Yeah the O-ring on the piston is meant to be a bit loose fitting in its groove.

When the piston moves forward in the power cycle the air in the cylinder compresses and goes into the holes in the piston face.  This expands the O-ring to make a good seal without binding.

Then on the return stroke the loose O-ring allows for air to pass easily and not restrict movement of the piston backwards.

Edited by EDcase

Whelp.... We'll see how it goes on the weekend LOL.   Bloody airsoft... We complain about the tolerance on one hand, then rely on sloppiness with the other 🤣

Guest Paul E H

Hi,

I rebuilt  a v.3 gearbox last year and had some similar issues.

Compression lightly  silicone oil piston ring and bore it'll help you shouldn't  be able to push the piston down much if small nozzle is covered, then do same with the  bigger nozzle (one attached to tappet plate) that feeds bbs and seals in hop. Should be no difference in compression again a little oil between nozzles as an o ring built inside 'feed' nozzle. If you compression is OK then good news.

Manually move gears and check tappet plate is moving smoothly and nozzle goes forwards and back when contacting the cam on the gear. It's important that the timing is correct between compression and nozzle position it's easily set by moving cam gear to the point it engages on piston teeth there are vids on this that show what I mean.

I found my feed issues down to nozzles too short by 1mm! And flexing tappet plate/worn cam end.

Also the barrel (G36c) spring was weak and not pushing/holding hop back in place so not getting a good seal on nozzle/hop.

I tried a whizz bang cnc'd alloy hop for G36's and it wasn't suitable at all and caused misfeeds and poor compression. I've since found a decent hop unit. There are tiny differences between brands whilst most are TM copies it doesn't  mean parts are interchangeable without modding or just don't fit!

Nozzles. Check length with accurate measuring tool. Mine. Was 22.4mm. I got a 21.5mm and it looked the same but just didn't work.

The timing of compression/nozzle and decent right length nozzle is vital. And dont forget the hop and its function and things like springs are working ok. I spent a fortune rebuilding as parts promised to fit or improve didnt!

stick with a decent brand or oe parts. I managed to get an oe upgraded piston with metal teeth stuck with laylax and shs for all other parts. Laylax only company who made an identical  type of nozzle and this massively improved compression.

Sorry its a bit of a brain dump. I'm an armature with some engineering experience from motocross and 'performance  car' diy  fix it myself days. The v.3 gearbox drove me to despair but got there. But, don't assume hop is OK may be time to replace the rubber and nub and that the nozzle is making a good seal on the hop. If no seal and misfeeds imho likely nozzle not travelling far enough or hop damaged. 

PH

Good luck.

Guest Paul E H

That blue plastic cam on the tappet plate  gear is a timing delay plate. Was it fitted from new or do you know why its in there?

Thanks for all the information.  I am thinking about a new nozzles as there doesn't appear to be an O-ring in there, nor a groove for it to live.  I have a micrometre which was a god send for sorting out the packet of shims - although there were a couple that were neither one size nor the other wen compared to the packet listing.

As far as I know the timing delay plate was OEM.  The only other person to work on it was Cage Airsoft, and I think I only paid for a new inner barrel, bucking, nub and shimming.  The new gear set were the Specna 16:1 from Patrol base, so hoping it is matched to the Specna piston.

The spur gear was the only one that wasn't stripped of teeth so I have kept it.  I haven't counted the teeth, but I think it was a 16:1 set in there, so should be OK to go with the other two gears?

Currently trying to resist the urge to by a Chrono now - but with 13 guns between me and the boy, I think I have enough potential tech work in our collection to justify it LOL.

1 hour ago, Paul E H said:

That blue plastic cam on the tappet plate  gear is a timing delay plate. Was it fitted from new or do you know why its in there?

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Thanks for all the information.  I am thinking about a new nozzles as there doesn't appear to be an O-ring in there, nor a groove for it to live.  I have a micrometre which was a god send for sorting out the packet of shims - although there were a couple that were neither one size nor the other wen compared to the packet listing.

As far as I know the timing delay plate was OEM.  The only other person to work on it was Cage Airsoft, and I think I only paid for a new inner barrel, bucking, nub and shimming.  The new gear set were the Specna 16:1 from Patrol base, so hoping it is matched to the Specna piston.

The spur gear was the only one that wasn't stripped of teeth so I have kept it.  I haven't counted the teeth, but I think it was a 16:1 set in there, so should be OK to go with the other two gears?

Currently trying to resist the urge to by a Chrono now - but with 13 guns between me and the boy, I think I have enough potential tech work in our collection to justify it LOL.

More than likely the original gears were 18:1 but 16:1 shouldn't be an issue as long as you use the whole set.

Absolutely buy a chrono if you're going to be working on your own guns though. Way back when I was rebuilding my first gun (an ancient TM M4A1 that is still going strong albeit with less original parts than Triggers broom) I managed to get SUCH a good airseal that even an M90 spring put it over the 328FPS limit for The Mall! It actually has an M85 in there now.

Yeah - ended up order this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144019574727  which i think @RostokMcSpoons  also has.

Not sure what the weird plate is with loads of holes and numbers, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

I now have to look at the boys M16 which is not feeding.... Stand by for a separate thread on that one 😁

9 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Yeah - ended up order this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144019574727  which i think @RostokMcSpoons  also has.

Not sure what the weird plate is with loads of holes and numbers, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

It comes with a set of short poles that you screw into the plate, these fit around the suppressor / flash hider / end of the barrelso so that the BBs fly down the middle of the tunnel.
The number relate to the diameter the pins fit around, so it's a bit of a pain in the arse to change them around.  Best approach is to set it for a suppressor or flash hider you can easily swap between guns, and leave the pins on the chrono alone.   Unfortunately I found that a) even that takes too long for an impatient person and b) suppressors don't fit all guns

So if you're a lazy git like me, you just hold it up to the end of the barrel and try your best not to shoot the shit out of the inside of your new chrono ;)

I've done that a lot now, and I'm considering an upgrade to something with a wider hole that I can shoot into...

image.png.313bcc976af1b997e8dc2946bd1f3540.png
image.png.b9933e6fee7d87e2b6bb9a7d7e830f28.png

• Supporters
On 12/03/2023 at 19:39, RostokMcSpoons said:

When you say 'him' I'm guessing .... Luke?

Nah, Roger was talking about Roger in the 3rd person, like the athletes and rappers do.

22 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Then decided to augment the piston oring.... Which was looser than a wizard's sleeve.  So just to piss Mr Luke off, I carefully (because I'm a plumber and spin this stuff out of my rear orifice) wrapped ptfe in the groove of the piston Under the oring.

Heheh. Roger... I mean I assumed the same thing the first time, and packed silicone grease under mine.  It was only after thinking "Wait, what are those holes for" that I figured it out - oops. You can even drill some more if you're feeling frisky.

Now I stretch o-rings over the outside of the cylinder, and heat them gently, specifically to make them loose.  It's a bit hit-and-miss but now that same CYMA that I messed up has rock solid air-seal and hit 1.3J on an M100 spring using the stock CYMA gearbox and no-O-ring nozzle (and some aftermarket bits downstream of that).

8 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Currently trying to resist the urge to by a Chrono now

No need to resist, it takes most of the guesswork out of it - although guns can of course run hot and cold on the day.

5 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

I now have to look at the boys M16 which is not feeding.... Stand by for a separate thread on that one 😁

They are nice little chrono's.  I keep one in my game day bag for quick checks.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.