First AEG Choice Opinions?

MrTea

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone. New player here who is going to be acquiring their UKARA soon as was hoping for some input on a shortlist of AEGs that I had put together. I'm looking for a metal receiver and handguard/rail system as well as a MOSFET. Performance wise, I want something that is consistent in terms of accuracy. It doesn't need crazy high ROF or the ability to hit someone across the airsoft site, I just want the BBs to be accurate and consistent if this makes sense.

• Specna Arms SA-H20 Edge V2.0 - I prefer the look of this rifle especially over the SA-H21 as the barrel on that one just looks too long. A full metal receiver + handguard is what I was looking for alongside a MOSFET. I've read mixed reviews on Specnas Edge V2.0 MOSFETs causing misfiring issues and getting stuck on full auto, however recent opinion seems to have shifted to saying that these issues have been sorted for the most part. I have found this rifle for £270. One con of this rifle is that it has a rear "drum" sight for it's iron sights which cannot be folded down.

• Specna Arms MK18 SA-E19 Edge V1.0 - An older generation of the Edge series but it's the fully licensed Daniel Defence MK18 using the GateX-ASR MOSFET. Full metal again receiver and handguard too but I really like the full length quad RIS rail system. I have found this rifle for £250. It also comes in a very nice bronze/tan version plus it has flip up/down sights for it's front/rear iron sights.

• G&G GC16 Predator - Again this rifle is full metal, has a MOSFET but the styling is the most unique of the lot. The stock is visually (to me) more appealing, a moulded pistol grip plus the design of the handguard at the end. I did find this rifle for £260 however it's now out of stock at that retailer. I've found another retailer that has it at £340-£360.

• G&G Armament GC16 Warthog 12" - Much like the Predator, it's an all metal receiver + handguard. Same stock, same pistol grip, same (IIRC) internals but without the styling of the Predator handguard. Found these for around £310.

• CYMA CM.097A - If I was going to chase the G&G Predator & Warthog for the amount of cash that people are asking for, wouldn't I be better off diverting that money towards this AEG? I've heard good things about the CYMA Platinum line. These are readily available for £320.

Any opinions and/or suggestions on this list? Personally i'm leaning towards the MK18 SA-E19 due to the price point. It's massively cheaper than the others, meets my requirements and leaves cash spare if needed for performance upgrades like hop rubber, bucking and barrel etc. if I feel it needs it.

Thanks in advance.

Cyma are solid workhorse aeg wise and are often peoples "go to" especially the ak lines. The Specna range has been steadily getting over the years and are usually good value when compared to g&g who have somewhat stood still. 

In all honesty I'd see if you can get your hands on the rifs you fancy. Something that looks about right on screen doesn't feel the same in hand. I have a g&g and hated the pistol grip, the idea of a moulded grip is great, if it fits your grip and form. On screen based aesthetics I'd likely opt for the specna h20. Fixed optics are no bad thing and they can easily be removed.

So head for good shop or find some folk on the field that have rifs you like the look of and ask them about it. Most folk will also let you have a crack with it too. 

Welcome

Its very difficult to say which is better because even if someone had them all to compare they could still vary in performance and reliability with other copies.

I'm very happy with my Specna Arms Edge E-03 v1.0 and I have several standard CYMA's which work well too so the Platinum should(?) be even better. 

I don't have any experience with G&G rifles but they seem more expensive than other makes of similar spec.

I would suggest getting the one you like the look of most.  Give it a good test to make sure it works properly and enjoy.

(The rear sight on the Specna Arms SA-H20 Edge V2.0 can be easily removed)

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

Yup to the above.  The iron/plastic sights are neither here nor there given that you'll almost certainly throw some sort of optic on there.  The X-ASR is only there for trigger protection, it doesn't add any features, and mine craps out with higher draw motors.

I'd go Edge 2.0, or any of the Double Eagle FCS models.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Yup to the above.  The iron/plastic sights are neither here nor there given that you'll almost certainly throw some sort of optic on there.  The X-ASR is only there for trigger protection, it doesn't add any features, and mine craps out with higher draw motors.

I'd go Edge 2.0, or any of the Double Eagle FCS models.

Thanks for the info on the X-ASR. I have stumbled on the same MK18 from Specna but it comes with their Gate Aster and it's only a tad more expensive bringing it in line with the SA-H20. There's plenty of them kicking around in the EU but the places that will ship an AEG to the UK are few and far between.

Edited by MrTea

• Supporters

The Edge 2.0s with the Asters do represent pretty good value for money compared to the price of adding an Aster to a base gun.

That said, the Double Eagle Fire Control systems have pretty much the same features, and can be had for even less.

As you say, given stock numbers at the moment it's more a case of buying what you can.

14 hours ago, EDcase said:

The Double Eagle range have earned a good reputation but keep in mind that the body is polymer as you mentioned you wanted metal. 

I did look at the Double Eagle range but couldn't find any in stock that had metal handguard and receivers so passed on them. I believe some exist that are full metal but I struggled to find any in stock.

6 minutes ago, MrTea said:

I did look at the Double Eagle range but couldn't find any in stock that had metal handguard and receivers so passed on them. I believe some exist that are full metal but I struggled to find any in stock.

Both the ones I linked to are in stock, and are full metal (EDCase is probably thinking of the 904 range, which are predominantly polymer)

I have the M906C, it's my best gun.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

17 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Both the ones I linked to are in stock, and are full metal (EDCase is probably thinking of the 904 range, which are predominantly polymer)

I have the M906C, it's my best gun.

The Patrolbase link you posted says 'polymer receiver' 🤔

God only knows with the BBGuns4Less one 🙄

Edited by EDcase

7 minutes ago, EDcase said:

The Patrolbase link you posted says 'polymer receiver' 🤔

God only knows with the BBGuns4Less one 🙄

Ah, sorry yes that's possible with the PB gun, I've not seen one of those in the flesh.  "Metal handguard" had me expecting it to be metal receiver too. 

The 906C... Ok, so it might be BBGuns4Less, but they're not always wrong ;) It's the one I own, it's definitely all metal.   With current stock levels, beggars can't always be choosers.

A slightly pricier version, if you absolutely have to avoid BBGuns, is here
https://www.defconairsoft.co.uk/product/double-eagle-m907-m4-with-falcon-fire-control-system-black-m907e/

(All metal, and in stock)

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.