Newb in Sussex

jtame

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all,

From Sussex and got my third session tomorrow. My son is joining me on these too, starting him young at 13 :-). I did have done cadets from 13-20. I’m now early 30s so knee pads are a must!

I’m in Sussex so locals are dogtag Horsham and Driverwood.

Got lucky and picked up a Krytac LVOA-C 2nd hand with 4 mags and 2 batteries on my last session for a decent cost.

Going down the MC route with some revision eyepro and delta Mike 🙂

Will be looking for optics next but not sure what would be best. 

Edited by jtame

Hi fella and welcome to the Airsoft asylum 🤪

Check out the classifieds on here. There are some good bargains to be had in the optics field.

Enjoy the sport and call your hits!! 😉

Regards 

Edited by Shamal
Spelin

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

41 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Hi fella and welcome to the Airsoft asylum 🤪

Check out the classifieds on here. There are some good bargains to be had in the optics field.

Enjoy the sport and call your hits!! 😉

Regards 

Have already been looking. Vortex seems popular. 

Seen a fair few cheating videos, idiots. Got a nasty one on the head the other day. Now got a cap!

6 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Welcome 🖐

Don't rush into optics.  Search the forum for discussions on em...

13 may be a bit young but if he likes it 👍

Have fun 😁

Can you expand on not rushing? 

He’s a good sized 13, athletic and wants to do something together so happy to spend time with him. His on Dye i5 so happy his face is protected to highest. 

2 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Welcome :).

Thanks for the welcome.

I did join discord but is super quiet on there

Red dot optics are the most common and can help with sight picture.

Magnifying optics can give a better view at range but the BB's are less likely to hit a particular point.  They can be useful in certain circumstances but there are positives and negatives.

At your next game talk to people who use one to see what options there are and maybe try some out.

• Supporters

Vortex are good optics but you can get clone red dots that will be totally fine for airsoft pretty cheap on ebay. Distances are short, there is no recoil to throw the sight off zero and they regularly get shot out so expensive sights are really more for bragging rights than anything.

16 hours ago, EDcase said:

13 may be a bit young but if he likes it 👍

Have fun 😁

13 is perfect age to start out. Kids get more out of it, play with much more enthusiasm and in my experience cheat less than the older players. 

7 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

My 13 year old loves the game and is the whole reason I'm in it now.  Welcome to the money pit. 

Be glad they don't collect lego as my 12 yr olds addiction makes the airsoft money pit look like a pothole.

On 16/07/2022 at 13:57, jtame said:

Hey all,

From Sussex and got my third session tomorrow. My son is joining me on these too, starting him young at 13 :-). I did have done cadets from 13-20. I’m now early 30s so knee pads are a must!

I’m in Sussex so locals are dogtag Horsham and Driverwood.

Got lucky and picked up a Krytac LVOA-C 2nd hand with 4 mags and 2 batteries on my last session for a decent cost.

Going down the MC route with some revision eyepro and delta Mike 🙂

Will be looking for optics next but not sure what would be best. 

Welcome! Depending where you are in Sussex, there's Worthing Airsoft and the Boneyard too. Worthing Airsoft is, as you might've guessed, just outside Worthing, and the Boneyard is over Hailsham direction.

42 minutes ago, Impulse said:

Boneyard is over Hailsham direction

Is it any good?  Hailsham is 15 minutes away from where my dad lives. 

Not sure my step mum would be too happy though.  Being from a massive farming family she kinda thinks this whole thing is a bit silly... Which I told her is the point. LOL. 

4 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Is it any good?  Hailsham is 15 minutes away from where my dad lives. 

Not sure my step mum would be too happy though.  Being from a massive farming family she kinda thinks this whole thing is a bit silly... Which I told her is the point. LOL. 

I've only been once and it was their first game ever, so there were teething issues; haven't been recently so I can't say if they've sorted those problems, but the site itself is lovely and they had a really great foundation for sure.

On 17/07/2022 at 00:18, Dan Robinson said:

My 13 year old loves the game and is the whole reason I'm in it now.  Welcome to the money pit. 

Haha :) Thanks! It will most likely be! Already looking at springs, barrell, more mid-caps,  then not got the son much yet.

On 17/07/2022 at 08:04, ImTriggerHappy said:

Vortex are good optics but you can get clone red dots that will be totally fine for airsoft pretty cheap on ebay. Distances are short, there is no recoil to throw the sight off zero and they regularly get shot out so expensive sights are really more for bragging rights than anything.

Interesting, Vortex offer a lifetime warranty and from what i've read including damage? I've seen recommendations for some caps - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294273163040?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dbeb1c235c99f47989109a3f884496dc1%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D354170338803%26itm%3D294273163040%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad74fb729-0671-11ed-ac11-12eb313a9f94|parentrq%3A1060c31f1820aa7224522d89ffeb39de|iid%3A1

On 17/07/2022 at 02:57, EDcase said:

Red dot optics are the most common and can help with sight picture.

Magnifying optics can give a better view at range but the BB's are less likely to hit a particular point.  They can be useful in certain circumstances but there are positives and negatives.

At your next game talk to people who use one to see what options there are and maybe try some out.

I've given some scopes / red dots a got and not sure I need a scope for gameplay style with the LVOA. I could mod it for longer reach but i'm enjoying forest / CQB as it stands so even a 1-2 would be fine just to help isolate targets once i've seen movement.

14 hours ago, Impulse said:

Welcome! Depending where you are in Sussex, there's Worthing Airsoft and the Boneyard too. Worthing Airsoft is, as you might've guessed, just outside Worthing, and the Boneyard is over Hailsham direction.

I will add Boneyard to a list, Worthing isn't too far from me. I'm in Uckfield.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, jtame said:

Vortex do offer a good warranty but that still means that you have to send it away and wait for it to be repaired or replaced, generally not too bad on that but some people have waited ages. 

Vortex are very good for the price and you won't regret it but for airsoft you don't have to pay that price unless you really want to. It is a personal choice thing, me personally I always buy the best but then I am a dumbfuck when it comes to money.

Be careful on the sight covers as a lot use a really cheap polycarb or even an acrylic that can go cloudy in the sun pretty quick. Also seen a fair few claim to be poly but have been acrylic and when hit they shatter and the lens on the sight still gets damaged.

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Vortex do offer a good warranty but that still means that you have to send it away and wait for it to be repaired or replaced, generally not too bad on that but some people have waited ages. 

Vortex are very good for the price and you won't regret it but for airsoft you don't have to pay that price unless you really want to. It is a personal choice thing, me personally I always buy the best but then I am a dumbfuck when it comes to money.

Be careful on the sight covers as a lot use a really cheap polycarb or even an acrylic that can go cloudy in the sun pretty quick. Also seen a fair few claim to be poly but have been acrylic and when hit they shatter and the lens on the sight still gets damaged.

Thanks for the advice. Will make sure look at the covers. This was a recommendation on airsoft-central discord.

I want good value for money but don't want shite

I've bought lexan sheets on ebay and cut my own lens protectors for the scopes I and the boy have.  Doesn't take long. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164352705597?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=I4aYgJ4XT5K&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=vIhnknhNSsO&var=463965821066&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I file them so that they have a good friction fit. 

I've had direct hits to them with no damage to either the lexan or the lens.  Once was whilst I was looking down the scope.... Which was a bit of a shock. 

I have bought a pop up one for my red dots, but when that gets damaged I can make a lexan replacement to go in the holder. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

1 minute ago, Dan Robinson said:

I've bought lexan sheets on ebay and cut my own lens protectors for the scopes I and the boy have.  Doesn't take long. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164352705597?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=I4aYgJ4XT5K&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=vIhnknhNSsO&var=463965821066&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I've had direct hits to them with no damage to either the lexan or the lens.  Once was whilst I was looking down the scope.... Which was a bit of a shock. 

I have bought a pop up one for my red dots, but when that gets damaged I can make a lexan replacement to go in the holder. 

what are you doing for the holder?

It's a proper one bought for the job.  It came with a couple of replacement protectors, but to buy replacements costs more than the entire sheet of lexan, which can be used for multiple purposes. 

QMFIVE Tactical scope lens, Airsoft Hunting Shooting Screen Protector Scope Foldable Reflex Lens 20mm QD Mount For Red Dot Sight scope Cover (4cs lens) https://amzn.eu/d/gzCNKie

QMFIVE Tactical scope lens, Airsoft Protector Scope Foldable Reflex Lens 20mm QD Mount https://amzn.eu/d/6OArUTx

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.