Lion vs lipo which battery should I buy

steverebo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So my new gun has arrived and I want to buy a new battery for it with higher capacity. My current batteries are nuprol 1450mah 11.1v 30c lipos I was potentially looking at a 3000mah 11.1v lion 

How do these nlcompare to each other in regards to power and performance 

• Supporters

Li-ion owners love them, and they're likely to be physically more robust.

However, I tend to agree with Luke at Negative that you're better off with two (or even three) lipos for the same money, given that if your li-ion craps out, you're stuffed.  Sound like Titan essentially told him "tough luck, mate" as well.

Yep, as long as you have a decent charger and treat them with respect, Li-Po's are fine and the best for price vs performance.

(Take EXTRA care with Nuprol batteries as they don't have the best reputation for quality)

Edited by EDcase

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Li-ion owners love them, and they're likely to be physically more robust.

However, I tend to agree with Luke at Negative that you're better off with two (or even three) lipos for the same money, given that if your li-ion craps out, you're stuffed.  Sound like Titan essentially told him "tough luck, mate" as well.

Yeah I saw that video I wasn't looking at the over priced titan's I have seen a few other companies like valken who have some 3000mah 11.1v lions for about £25/£30 my current 11.1v 1450 30c lipo's were £25.

I'm just liking the idea of 3000mah capacity but wanted to know if they perform as good as lipo's 

5 minutes ago, EDcase said:

(Take EXTRA care with Nuprol batteries as they don't have the best reputation for quality)

The cells were probably picked from the reject bin in the factory, roughly matched for Internal Resistance and slapped together with a Nuprol logo stuck on the side for good measure. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, steverebo said:

Yeah I saw that video I wasn't looking at the over priced titan's I have seen a few other companies like valken who have some 3000mah 11.1v lions for about £25/£30 my current 11.1v 1450 30c lipo's were £25.

I'm just liking the idea of 3000mah capacity but wanted to know if they perform as good as lipo's 

AT that price point I'd stick with decent (not Nuprol) LiPo's, Turnigy for example.

I've both Titan and Valken 3,000 mAh 11.1v Li-Io's, Deans connector, used in rifles either with GATE Titan's v2's or Double Eagle's knock off of a Titan, and so far I can overall fault neither and I'm very happy with them (used Li-Po's all the time before I made the change, and the last time I had any NiMH's was back when I raced RC cars). I'd say though that the Titan's has a better overall build quality, the cabling thicker and more flexible, plus the casing / heat-shrink is better applied (with Valken's looking a little rough around the edges).

It was mine and my son's Double Eagle M900's that pushed me to Li-Io's, in that the controllers in them will let a batteries cells get down to almost 3.2v per cell before the battery protection kicks in which is far to low, and this caused one 1,450 Li-Po to get too low at one game and it puffed ever so slightly and has not been the same since (it's in my emergency battery pile now).

The Li-Io's can safely handle going down to a much lower cell voltage, 3.0v or a little lower, with zero negative effects, who know if this is down to their construction or the 18650 cells they use (different from the flat Li-Po cells and how their conductors are layered?). I've accidentally left a Li-Io in a rifle for close to a week, I totally forgot about it which is not like me at all, and it went to under 3.0v per cell, but charged back perfectly (but took a while) and has shown no negative effects at all.

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

the Titan's has a better overall build quality

Which you'll need given their warranty.

46 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

The Li-Io's can safely handle going down to a much lower cell voltage, 3.0v or a little lower, with zero negative effects

This does seem credible. I have a desk full of recovered 18650 li-ion cells, some of which have dipped below 1V, and which all recovered after a bit of "never do this!" brute force.

I'm seeing prices of £30 for the Valken 3Ah 7.4Vs, which is pretty much a coin flip whether you want to gamble on one li-ion, or two lipos for the same total price and capacity.

4 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

I've both Titan and Valken 3,000 mAh 11.1v Li-Io's, Deans connector, used in rifles either with GATE Titan's v2's or Double Eagle's knock off of a Titan, and so far I can overall fault neither and I'm very happy with them (used Li-Po's all the time before I made the change, and the last time I had any NiMH's was back when I raced RC cars). I'd say though that the Titan's has a better overall build quality, the cabling thicker and more flexible, plus the casing / heat-shrink is better applied (with Valken's looking a little rough around the edges).

It was mine and my son's Double Eagle M900's that pushed me to Li-Io's, in that the controllers in them will let a batteries cells get down to almost 3.2v per cell before the battery protection kicks in which is far to low, and this caused one 1,450 Li-Po to get too low at one game and it puffed ever so slightly and has not been the same since (it's in my emergency battery pile now).

The Li-Io's can safely handle going down to a much lower cell voltage, 3.0v or a little lower, with zero negative effects, who know if this is down to their construction or the 18650 cells they use (different from the flat Li-Po cells and how their conductors are layered?). I've accidentally left a Li-Io in a rifle for close to a week, I totally forgot about it which is not like me at all, and it went to under 3.0v per cell, but charged back perfectly (but took a while) and has shown no negative effects at all.

What is the performance like between the 2, I normally rock an 11.1v 30c so would the 11.1v 3000mah lion perform the same?

20 hours ago, steverebo said:

What is the performance like between the 2, I normally rock an 11.1v 30c so would the 11.1v 3000mah lion perform the same?

So far they've been identical in performance for me.

Before then my Li-Po's we're 20c, and I don't run anything crazy and only play now and again at full auto sites, but trigger response and RPS on a chrono has remained exactly the same. Personally I run Li-Io's now more as an insurance policy, to lessen the risk of damage and to cover my potential stupidity, and the split 3,000 11.1v just sits so well in my PTS EPS stocks.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.