Specna Arms Daniel Defense MK18 advice

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking for new m4 for cqb must have polymer and metal.. just after any info on Specna Arms Daniel Defense MK18 if there are any issues with it or I go back to G&G 

Cheers 

4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Have you ruled out the Double Eagle M9xx guns?  Specnas are OK, but the DE's offer a bit more value for money.

Will have a look 👍

1 hour ago, Bradders13754 said:

just after any info on Specna Arms Daniel Defense MK18

Not a lot to say. I'm assuming you are referring to the CORE series with the plastic bodies.

Features synonymous with the CORE series in general: They have OK gearboxes, all use the same receivers, the only differences are in the front rails, stocks (Crane or PDW) and some CORE versions have the mediocre Gate X-ASR Mosfet inside that will shit itself with anything more powerful than the stock motor. I'm not sure if the DD Mk18s with the X-ASR are in stock with UK suppliers from what I've seen though - the £145 models don't seem to be fitted with them.

I have seen/felt/held the CORE DD Mk18 'in the real' at the Z1 showroom and it's...fine. The receiver plastic is....ok...not G&G quality but perfectly serviceable. If you crank down on the receiver, you will probably feel some flex (you can with a G&G too to a lesser extent), but for BBwars/LARPsoft it will be ok - just don't wrap it around a tree. 

I have never seen a Double Eagle 'in the real', but from the reviews and photos I've seen - I would lean towards one of them. They look better, have better features, and I think they are better value for money as @Rogerborg points out.

But the best plastic bodied M4-style guns from what I've seen are BO Dynamics/Lonex LT595 and the KWA EVE-4. Both are incredibly solid and wobble-free. And I have both. Had the LT-595 for nearly 10 years and it has been lovely to own. The KWA not so much frankly.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Bradders13754 said:

So the Double Eagle M916G UTR556 - FALCON EFCS, Black

Is a better option? 

Eh.  The Double Eagle Falcon fire control system is much better than the X-ASR mosfet on the EDGE/CORE, but not quite as fully featured as the ASTER on the EDGE 2.0

Specna Arms plastic is OK. Specna Arms monkey-metal is OK. G&G plastic is better.  I haven't held the DE plastic, or metal.

"Daniel Defence" is a piece of laser etching on a generic Specna, it has absolutely zero significance beyond that.

Any of the above will work.  All of them will benefit from (but don't need) a few modest parts like a Maple Leaf macaron bucking and omega nub, maybe a ZCI or AOLs barrel, better motor, tuning the spring for your site limits, and so on.

There's no obvious best choice, you just have to put your money down and roll the dice.  If it was my money, today, for a general purpose AEG, it would go on a Double Eagle M9xx.

I want something I can upgrade over time and is gonna be reliable in the field.. And looks like the double eagle ticks th boxes.. And then onto a sniper rifle 🤦‍♀️🤣🤣

Wouldn't get too hung up on "upgrades". Barring a new hop most "upgrades" don't improve performance much and end up causing faults.

Also, metal is overrated, most metal used in airsift guns is crap. Plastic weighs less, your arms will thank you.

G&G overpriced these days IMO. Best getting something cheap and proven like a sub-£200 CYMA, stick 0.25s or 0.28s in it and go and have fun.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Bradders13754 said:

I have shoulder issues so light. Weight is a must for me.. Must admit am loving playing airsoft so addictive 😁🤣

I agree on the weight: I only have one metal bodied gun, and that was only to use as the basis for a DMR to have as little flex as possible.  Plastic is just fine, apart from the sub-£100 CYMAs and vendor trash from the BBgunz4u style sellers.

If you really want to go lightweight, you could consider joining the (plastic) MP5K Master Race. ;) 

evolution-of-airsoft.thumb.png.27ee1e493fd616aa2780b9a28cb15ae7.png

Plastic guns are not always lighter.

Plastic bodies guns can be just a heavy as metal ones. The receiver weight will only account for 100g or so between a decent plastic body and a generic chinese metal body found on sub £200-250 guns. Choice of stock, rail and barrel-length is a bigger consideration IMO for a gun if you want something light weight.

Soooo......here are 5 of mine/my kids *roughly* similar-sized guns, stripped of their accoutrements such as vert grips, sights and lights etc:

image.png.f2cfcbf26224abbf00d48dd29a17072a.png

4 of these are 'plastic' bodied guns. One is 'full-metal'. And the picture above is in weight order.

So - heaviest to lightest (left to right):

ICS CXP-16 (Plastic Body - Metal Rail) - 2473g

BO Dynamics LT595 (Plastic Body - Plastic Rail) - 2327g

Specna Edge E12 (Metal Body - Metal Rail) - 2054g

KWA EVE-4 (Plastic Body - Plastic Rail) - 1946g

G&G CM16 SRS (Plastic Body - Metal Rail) - 1845g

So there is a 628g/1.3lb difference from the heaviest to lightest. There is only a 200g difference between the Specna Edge and and the G&G CM16 SRS.

This is a very un-scientific review of their weights - some stocks are heavier than others (the PTS EPS is a bit of a tank, but amazeballs), some gearboxes are heavier than others (ICS and KWA) etc. but you get the idea.

So - my advice is to try and get to a local Airsoft shop (if that's feasible) and pick up as many as you can to get a feel of them. If you can't to a shop - ask other players at your next skirmish about their guns - many will be happy to let you fondle their weapons (boom boom).

Having owned the daniel defence specna, i echo the other comments on here- go for the double eagle.

The specna, overall felt underwhelming! it was ok, but even at the price, it didnt seem worth it. (and the barrel was bloody disgusting inside!)

22 minutes ago, sjhirst said:

Having owned the daniel defence specna, i echo the other comments on here- go for the double eagle.

The specna, overall felt underwhelming! it was ok, but even at the price, it didnt seem worth it. (and the barrel was bloody disgusting inside!)

Is the quick change spring on the double eagle? 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Bradders13754 said:

Is the quick change spring on the double eagle? 

With the caveat that manufacturers can change things between iterations and versions without notice, yes, the Double Eagle M9xx guns have a quick change spring, and don't require the gearbox to be removed to access it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.