G&G L85A2 (SA80) ETU & MOSFET Assault Version HELP

Luke1UK3

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and not sure if I'm putting this question in the right area, but here it is. So I have a few loadouts, both US based and British based and I am trying to secure my new rifle for my British loadout. My British loadout is early 2000s so DPM/DDPM possibly MTP in the future. I currently use an M4/AR15 platform and I'm in dire need of an L85/SA80 rifle. Every time I bring the subject up at my airsoft field, I get extremely mixed reviews not just about the G&G L85 but all L85 on the market. I'll stop waffling and get to the question. Has anyone got a G&G L85A2 ETU&MOSFET and if so, what problems have you experienced and your honest reviews of the rifle. Most people I speak to about the rifle have extremely negative reviews about it, I'm not sure if they are exaggerating or the L85 platform is just a terrible design for airsoft. They currently retail for around £400 and I don't want to risk spending that much just for a rifle that I need to fix within a month. So any info on this rifle would be much appreciated as I am struggling to find many topics about them and the people I speak to just seem to exaggerate about the rifle.

Thanks  

Ironically I've got one which I was just messing around with as you posted this.  I paid £245 for mine as I imported it from Gunfire, so it was a lot cheaper, but it wasn't working properly on arrival. The tech who had a look at it said that the downgrade to the power that was made by Gunfire was the issue, as they'd failed to put it back together properly.  Even I could see this was an issue as one of the screws at the rear wasn't put in correctly.  Anyway @Luke NegAir who teched it for me (Negative Airsoft) put in a Perun ETU++ (which gives a lovely three round burst function) and disabled the electronic blowback for me, as there was a metal plate that was bent and was likely to fail at some point.  I could put the function back, but I followed Luke's advice, which was it was the blowback was more trouble than it was worth.  If you have some basic knowledge, a quick search on the internet will give you enough information to disable the blowback yourself.  

How does the gun now work?  Not bad actually.  It was performing as well as my Kings Arms M4 and I got decent hits in the game I played.  It also really suits the Brit loadout I've been building, plus it looks different - not another M4 in the game.  The balance is OK as well.  I've never run a bullpup before and it was OK to shoot.  I appreciate these things are personal, but I quite liked it with the sling set-up.  I use the G&G M4 mid-caps, just because the length seems to look more realistic, but it took my CYMA mid-caps absolutely fine as well.

Now the bad.  Do not buy the G&G SUSAT.  Oh my God, what a piece of over-priced rubbish.  I could go on and on about the dreadful build quality, with the wiring that's a real mess, the base plate being 3D printed plastic that crumbles when you try to change the batteries, and the fact that the optical sight is misaligned to the left, no matter what you do to adjust it.  The optical sight defies physics and it seems I'm not the only one that has had this issue.  The iron sights are OK, but the rest of it is awful if you actually want to use it as a scope.  I need to get around to getting rid of mine, but with a huge health warning that says it only good for a wall-hanger, and you should only use the iron sights if you want to hit something in a game.  It's that bad and G&G should be ashamed of themselves.  Part of me feels I'd be doing the Airsoft community a huge favour by burying it at my local site.  Ironically the Chinese SUSAT clone I bought off Amazon for £20 less than the G&G one is really good.  It actually magnifies properly and works as a scope, so that's a far better buy.

I'm not sure if any of that helps.  They sometimes come up in sales, so you might be best waiting to get a bit of a discount.

20220612_170542.jpg

I run ICS L85 and L86 loadouts. Both with tight bore barrels, Warfets and a few mods. both are more accurate and out distance my M4's and G36's (especially the L86). The L85 is great handling, better balanced than an M4 as the mass is nearer the shoulder and much quicker to point and aim because of this. Once you're used the the strange mag position they are fine. I run Vortex Spitfire 3x's on them which kind of look ok

I also have 2 AA L85's which are fine when rebuilt but the ICS is better and by fitting my own mosfet I avoid the G&G electrics issue and the builds costs less than the G&G including upgrades

Thanks for the speedy response guys, your info has been really helpful.  I've actually used both the real steel M4 platforms and L85 platforms, I definitely prefer the l85 feel lol. Just another question. I know what the Perun ETU++ is and I also know that ETU's are also placed onto the gearbox themselves. If I get the ICS and fit a Perun ETU++, is it doing the same thing as an actual ETU that is placed onto the gear box. (Like the G&G that comes pre-fitted with a unit attached to the gearbox)

The above question is kind of confusing with the way I have worded it 

I heard about the G&G ETU burning out and faulting. As soon as I understand what the difference is between the Perun ETU++ and the actual ETU that is fitted to the gear box, then i think I'll be able to make a choice on which to go for.

Also the inner barrel length on the ICS version is smaller than the G&G version.

Also they aren't any airsoft suppliers within driving distance to me so I can't even go and inspect them up close, so the decision is even harder :(

I use Warfets or Pico's on mine, fit outside the gearbox. The ICS gearbox wont take an internal mosfet. Not sure on the G&G but I doubt it will either, Gearboxes on SA80 family are a completely different shape and setup than V2/V3 boxes (although the bits inside are v2)

ICS L85 takes 510mm barrel

ICS L86 takes 610mm barrel

ICS will take 11v out of the box (but no reason to) and a huge 7000mah Titan in the handgrip fro all day long play

All of the L85s have quirks, But they are known and can be rectified.

Personally I'd go ICS, and have more than enough change for a tighter barrel, good hop rubber, Mosfet and a Titan for around the same money as a G&G, plus the ICS is far easier to open up and service.  Take off threadlock and tighten the selector switch screw and your golden

3BB8533A-853E-4050-A245-1BA747375BD4 2.JPG

I'll add my two pence, 

I have a G&G l85 Afv, I've managed to get it to play nice with a Maxx hop with internal tracer and a nanohard (warfet is better but I'm cheap) mosfet useing an 11.1v (do not use without a mosfet) I forget the capacity but it's large. 

This has required rewiring her myself. 

Its very common to disable the blowback as its underwhelming and will just fail anyways. 

Some l85s can be quite picky when it come to mags, I recommend NUPROL STANAG 30/140rnd Adjustable Mid-Caps. 

20210417_095104.jpg

2 hours ago, MadMole said:

Personally I'd go ICS, and have more than enough change for a tighter barrel, good hop rubber, Mosfet and a Titan for around the same money as a G&G, plus the ICS is far easier to open up and service. 

This. 

I had to service my Neighbours ICS L85 (after the trigger contacts burnt out) and found it easy to work on. I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, ICS has good spares availability via Fire-Support. So if you do break something, replacements can be sourced relatively easily. I don't think the same could be said for G&G.

yes agreed on spares, I've got spare hop unit, trigger unit, body contacts, core pins, wire sets and a gearbox. 

I always take the spare gear box and wiring to games, so if mine went pffft, I could literally swap in the spare one in the time everyone else is refilling mags between games. its actually easier to change the gearbox than a quick change spring in other guns

Well you guys are absolute legends. I think I am going to go with the ICS Version, I've just done a quick price up of the Rifle, with lots of upgrades and it is just £5 over the G&G price. Also I'll be playing with the rifle stock setup for a while to notice the upgrades when I eventually put them in. You guys have been a massive help. THANK YOU!!!!!

Just one more thing 🤣lol I see the ICS version says it should be used with a NI-MH, but if I installed a mosfet, would i be able to use a LI-PO or should i stick with the suggested battery type of NI-MH?

Sorry for the absolute bombardment of questions.

A 7.4v Li-Po delivers roughly the same power as the old 9.6v NiMh so will be fine.

The advantage is that LiPo's deliver more consistent current bursts so better trigger response.

The important thing to watch out for is not to drain them too far.  They have no memory effect so its better to recharge from semi-used than from drained.

Edited by EDcase

Lipo or lion fine for ICS, you can even run an 11v as the gears are very good. (but there is no benefit in reality). I run Titan 7000mah 7.4's.

The fire rate on them is about 15rps which is perfect for walking in rounds and not stupidly fast to annoy anyone. the ICS isn't fussy about mags like the G&G is either

Bit late to comment, but the G&G shoots extremely well out of the box.  mine performed brilliantly for at least an hour...

The Perun is a must for the G&G, but it is easy to fit.  

Given that all L85s need work anyway, I would go for a used one in hindsight.  

20 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Bit late to comment, but the G&G shoots extremely well out of the box.  mine performed brilliantly for at least an hour...

The Perun is a must for the G&G, but it is easy to fit.  

Given that all L85s need work anyway, I would go for a used one in hindsight.  

Its always good to see more people commenting. Tbh I'm wanting to go the ICS route now after some money management and pricing, but I'm finding it very difficult to find a new one at a decent price or even a used one that isn't falling apart, or on the other side of the country lol

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.